Will an erase request through "Find my device" still happen after a factory reset?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm selling my old phone to a friend, so I have done a factory reset to remove all my data. The phone is now switched off and in the mail on its way to my friend. However I wanted to remove the old phone from my list of devices in the "Find my device" app and hoped the erase device function would do this. Will this have any effect on my friend when they turn the phone on, or will they be unaffected if they log in with their own Google account?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The important question here is if you removed your Google account before you did the factory reset. If you did, then you're fine -- the fact that your Google account is no longer on the phone means that it's no longer connected to your account, so Find My Device wouldn't be able to locate it or wipe it. But if you didn't remove your Google account, then the bigger problem is that your friend won't be able to set the phone up with their own account. Due to Factory Reset Protection, the first thing they'll see is a prompt for your Google account and password.