Will leaving data on all the time use more battery

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I am asking if it uses more battery if on while wifi is on or off. I want to leave it on in case I need to locate it and needs a connection to locate it and in case I need maps to see traffic. Those of course are just the ones I can think off at this time. I am asking this cause I recently got the new Verizon plan without overages when using up the monthly data. Now I can use it even when its all used up just goes slower.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Usually if wifi is on, the device ignores mobile data and uses the wifi. That said, if you get an MMS, or your wifi is patchy, the device will look in the network. Generally, you wouldn't leave wifi on (you don't want to connect to unsecured network automatically and get malware) and it uses battery looking for other WiFi connections. Not sure what device you have, M has a function where it aggressively switches to mobile data of the wifi isn't strong... Tell us what device and software you have Jack....

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Usually if wifi is on, the device ignores mobile data and uses the wifi. That said, if you get an MMS, or your wifi is patchy, the device will look in the network. Generally, you wouldn't leave wifi on (you don't want to connect to unsecured network automatically and get malware) and it uses battery looking for other WiFi connections. Not sure what device you have, M has a function where it aggressively switches to mobile data of the wifi isn't strong... Tell us what device and software you have Jack....

I have the s7 edge with 6.0.1

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Ah ok, so in settings, wifi, more you have "smart network switch".. This function will switch to mobile data of the wifi speed/strength drops, so look there and make sure it's off.
Also, in developer options, you have aggressive wi-fi setting which does similar operation. Have a peek there to make sure they are disabled...
You have an amazing device there, best tech in the world, but it does have myriad variations and settings so it takes a while to get your head around sorting them all out....

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, leaving WiFi on all the time will have an impact on your battery life opposed to toggling it on/off only when you need it. It should not be a huge difference in battery life but there will be some. I've got the S7 Active.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReaperAU