Will you lose root if you update to 4.1.2?

1yoyo105

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I am currently on an unlocked and rooted Nexus 7 on 4.1.1 running on a stock ROM. Nothing has been modified besides it being unlocked and rooted. Will I lose my root if I update and if so, what can I do to avoid that during the update progress or after the update? Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm really anxious to get rid of the OTA popup in the top left and get landscape finally. :p

1yoyo105

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I did this, applied the update and it gave me the dead android with a red exclamation point. A bit later my tablet booted back up but it was still on 4.1.1? I tried redoing the update but for some reason it's gone and says I'm on the latest version. What now? :confused:

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Did your OTA Rootkeeper app show a check mark next to "system supports root protection" and "protected su copy available"? And did you click "backup su" button?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Even if OTA Rootkeeper doesn't work right you can root 4.1.2 the exact same way you rooted 4.1.1, just boot a custom recovery and flash the SU zip. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1yoyo105

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
But the thing is I'm not on 4.1.2, still 4.1.1 after applying the 4.1.2 OTA update. So what now? I don't mind a manual way. I just need to know how to do it.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh you're getting the red triangle android trying to do the OTA, which likely means you don't have stock recovery (probably permanently flashed a custom one when you were rooting). I'm away from the computer now but I've posted directions to just flash the stock recovery in another thread or two.. Or you can use Wugs toolkit, I believe it has an option built in to do it for you. Either way it is very easy..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1yoyo105

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay. So I've downloaded the official 4.1.2 .zip and tried flashing it with both TWRP and CWM and they both fail. I cleared the data from the Google Services Framework and I successfully got my 4.1.2 again. I tried downloading that and I got about halfway through installation and got the android guy with the exclamation point again. I am FULLY stock. No custom ROMs, kernels, nothing. What can it be?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay. So I've downloaded the official 4.1.2 .zip and tried flashing it with both TWRP and CWM and they both fail. I cleared the data from the Google Services Framework and I successfully got my 4.1.2 again. I tried downloading that and I got about halfway through installation and got the android guy with the exclamation point again. I am FULLY stock. No custom ROMs, kernels, nothing. What can it be?

Like I said, you have a custom recovery (you just mentioned you tried using both CWM and TWRP to flash 4.1.2... once you've loaded one of these recoveries permanently it stays there). Just flash the stock recovery only, then try and take the OTA again. Also in addition to having no custom ROMs, kernels, etc, be sure you haven't changed the system in any way, as in, removed or added system applications, changed the build.prop, screen density, etc etc...

1yoyo105

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
None. The first time I did the test was with the stock recovery. I used the custom ones just to see if it was any different. I just did it again with stock to no avail. Tried both OTA and flashing a .zip. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777