Wishing for early upgrade

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Is my EVO cursed or are stories like mine more common than I realize? I've had no luck with this model. First one had major light leakage and screen lifting and my replacement has been somehow worse.

• Random lock-ups. Phone just completely locks up and I have to pull the battery.
  • Bottom left glass is now higher than rest of the the phone. Have a case on it to keep it from getting worse.
  • Out of Memory even when I had most of my apps/data/files saved to my SD card
  • 2x reboot-loops that I had to take it to the Sprint store to have them reset it.
  • Earpiece speaker died and they tried to make me pay $35 to repair it because I'm past my 1yr period. Tried to tell me I should have purchased insurance.. I replied "If I drop it in the ocean that's insurance worthy. If something breaks that I didn't cause it's not my problem fix it." 45min and two calls later they credited my account.
  • The refuse to just give me a refurb replacement. So I'm stuck with a phone that I have to basically wipe and reinstall every 1-2 months due to these lock ups etc. Wonderful.

I seriously hope I'm in the minority here. Just curious if others have had this level of dissatisfaction with the EVO.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
you are in the minority. perhaps abuse and user error is the culprit.

The phone lives in a SEIDIO active case, in my pocket or on my desk. No water damage, no mods to Android and I have about 6 whole apps installed. FB, Twitter, G+, Dolphin HD and a couple other generic apps.

I should also note this isn't a "I hate Android" thread I actually prefer it to any other phone OS today but I am merely trying to gauge if anyone else has had a lemon that Sprint refused to replace after issues cropped up a year into your contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry you're having problems. I've had mine for about six months with high usage, unprotected in my pocket for hours at a time and I just haven't had any problems. It's been a tank. I have quite a few friends and relatives using this phone with no problems either. Mine is backed up and rooted and by far the most stable and fun phone I've ever had. I hope Sprint steps up and helps you.

Reactions: DizWhiz

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry you're having problems. I've had mine for about six months with high usage, unprotected in my pocket for hours at a time and I just haven't had any problems. It's been a tank. I have quite a few friends and relatives using this phone with no problems either. Mine is backed up and rooted and by far the most stable and fun phone I've ever had. I hope Sprint steps up and helps you.
My story is ditto of mfreeland. In my pocket for a year without a case, I've even fallen on concrete with it in my hand and the phone landed face down with all my weight on the FACE, but not a scratch. It has the usual issue of needing rebooting every now and then, I probably do it every week or so, but mine has also been without major problems.

All that being said, I'm still on Froyo, I haven't updated because 2.2 does everything I need it to. You might investigate some of the random lockups and such to see if they are associated with the upgrade(s) to 2.3 . I know there were some problems initially, but I thought they were mostly cleared up. YMMV Good luck!

EvoJumper

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
mine started to crack around the sides. At the bottom if the volume rocker and by the power button, but no lifting of the screen. Light leakage seems to be common, but it isn't really that bad on mine. Dripped it once and the screen stopped working, but with my insurance they replaced the screen for me which got rid of the cracks as well. Insurance sucks to pay every month but I'm glad I had it. Didn't cost me a penny out of pocket.

inconvenience

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I am also wishing for an upgrade. My evo was solid for a year, but started having problems with it as well, like phone just started rebooting randomly. Had light leakage since i got the phone, but that did not really bother me. Having doubts about getting another HTC phone. My sister got a evo3D and it already died on her.

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine is cracked under the down volume button also. That's the only structural issue, but I am having software issues such as crazy amounts of sense reboots, slowness, low memory, etc. I am switching to the iphone 5 when it comes out.

krocadile1

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine is cracked under the down volume button also. That's the only structural issue, but I am having software issues such as crazy amounts of sense reboots, slowness, low memory, etc. I am switching to the iphone 5 when it comes out.

Getting a new Rom on your phone can help fix all those technical troubles :p

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
+1 on that, I have had mine since launch day, I abuse the hell out of the thing; root, unroot, flashahaulic etc. I occasionally put my Otterbox brick housing on if I want to look like I'm flossin major swagg! lol, just like anything else, there is going to be lemons out there. root your evo if you haven't already and go with a new rom that is stable and reliable.

I just dont understand threatening to go to the Iphone though, ouch! I've proudly converted several friends over to Android, they have seen the light! there is open source get it the way you want it, (like Burger King) and then there's built for the masses, "if you don't like it; then buy something else" Apple. I don't see the draw....

krocadile1

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I love convincing my friends away from apple, and they agree with my opinion of them after they leave just makes me smile more xD I despise apple now that itunes doesn't work for my 64bit comp -.- now i gotta sell my ipod and use my phone as an mp3 which kills the battery :(

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
That's strange, I've been running vista x64 and I tunes for the last couple of years. Maybe it's in compatibility mode. Who knows....

tompro53

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Anybody in the Sprint Premier Programbefore the change in April can contact Dan@sprint.com and tell Jim you were suppose to get a yearly upgrade and you want it & then in a couple days his assistant shoud contact you and help you out, it worked for me.

Reactions: gmrpnk21#AC

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Try running an RUU, which will wipe all software off your phone and re-install the stock firmware 100% clean. For a guide on how to do this, look in the hacking section under unrooting. Its the same process.

If that doesnt help, its 100% hardware related.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems to be a 50-50 split and believe me I'm thrilled that half or more of current EVO owners have NO ISSUES.

I got SPRINT to credit my account for the earpiece replacement (it blew out last week) but that took 1hr of phone calls.

My wife's EVO is like many others.. she has dropped it a couple times and it works flawlessly. .well it does have a hair line crack under the volume rocker as others have stated.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My story is ditto of mfreeland. In my pocket for a year without a case, I've even fallen on concrete with it in my hand and the phone landed face down with all my weight on the FACE, but not a scratch. It has the usual issue of needing rebooting every now and then, I probably do it every week or so, but mine has also been without major problems.

All that being said, I'm still on Froyo, I haven't updated because 2.2 does everything I need it to. You might investigate some of the random lockups and such to see if they are associated with the upgrade(s) to 2.3 . I know there were some problems initially, but I thought they were mostly cleared up. YMMV Good luck!

Honestly now that you mention it my phone was 100% fine before I upgraded to 2.3. No idea what included in the update would be causing issues though.

gmrpnk21#AC

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am glad that I stumbled upon this thread, and I just emailed Dan about the premier program. Let's hope I get a response, and a new phone! Btw tompro, how long did it take for the assistant to email you back?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leeuchytil