with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth it?

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The most frustrating thing is that in NYC Sprint's 3G is PAINFULLY slow. On the LIRR there are whole sections where there is no service at all and the LIRR is a major commuter line. I've been with Sprint for 10 yrs but the lack of 4G on Long Island plus the crappy 3G service in the 5 boroughs is making me jump ship.

Remember the good old days when Sprint was one of the fastest networks? I miss those days.

Sent from my EVO Shift

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth i

If you are in an area that is getting a strong Wimax connection, you may want to wait. The Evo 3D isn't even a year old yet. I know there are a bunch of devices looming on the horizon, that have us all salivating, but consider this; if you already used your upgrade discount on the Evo 3D, that most likely means only a $75 discount on whatever you are eyeing. So, you will be paying close to full price for a phone that can't take full advantage of the network. Another thing is, if you already have had bad experiences with Sprint 3G, you will not be happy.

My advice is to try and get a general idea when you will have Sprint LTE in your area, and then decide if you can deal with Sprint 3G while you wait for LTE. It would have been nice if Sprint's early LTE devices could still use Wimax. This seems like it would have been a good option especially considering they are about to launch 3 LTE devices with a very limited LTE rollout. But these people are way smarter than I, so maybe it's just not feasible. Anyway, whatever you decide consider all the options and possibilities and enjoy.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

The most frustrating thing is that in NYC Sprint's 3G is PAINFULLY slow. On the LIRR there are whole sections where there is no service at all and the LIRR is a major commuter line. I've been with Sprint for 10 yrs but the lack of 4G on Long Island plus the crappy 3G service in the 5 boroughs is making me jump ship.

Remember the good old days when Sprint was one of the fastest networks? I miss those days.

Sent from my EVO Shift

I had been with Sprint for about ten years myself. I recently moved over to Verizon, but I still have an active Sprint account for my son's. And while the network wasn't stellar, where I lived, it was adequate. I like Sprint and I wanted to stay loyal, but the lure of a good LTE network now and the Galaxy Nexus was jus too much. I am interested in Sprint's network vision for the future and it does look promising. We definitely need a stronger third LTE network (incompatibilities aside), if nothing else just to keep AT&T and Verizon honest, well at least as honest as possible...ok, at least transparent,,,ok,ok, at least enough so they appear to care about their customers a tiny bit...;)

Truewhattheysay

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

What's really sad is that all these sprint reps in every city and state are going to tell you your new Evo has LTE during an in store purchase. Bottom line if your not in one of the 5 markets getting LTE on launch day, it is a NO BUY. If sprint really cared they would knock off that 10 dollar premium if your in a city that does not have LTE.

mhmmdy123

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

I dodn`t care for the 4g or lte, I did used the 4G in Chicago and the Detroit, MI area, it`s good and fast for my. I had VZW TBOLT for 10 days, I never got any better than what Sprint offer in my area, which VZW claiming Detroit metro it`s 4G Lte, I did return it back and stayed with Sprint, I have been with Sprint since 2002 and I have with them 10 lines and I`m happy with them..
As the HTC EVO ONE I`m thinking to get it, the phone it`s look very impressive, but I have the Samsung Galaxy Epice Touch S2 and it`s perfect phone so far.

automatous

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

According to that link, Denver isn't scheduled in the first or second wave of LTE. Weak.

my74034

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The question I have is, Even if you don't live in in area that will get Sprints LTE service, will you still reap the rewards of the EVO 4G LTE while on WIFI? I live in St. Louis where there is 4G, but don't get it at my house so I use WIFI when at home. I don't think, but don't know that LTE will be faster than what my WIFI is. It is a catch 22 here if you want the latest and greatest phones that are coming out then you have to go with the LTE devises, but still may not reap the rewards of the LTE service. What are thoughts?

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

id be happy with 1.0mb+ my speed tests aren't nearly as nice to me i get 150-300K most of the time sometimes i will get 600-800k

There are times where my ping was around 300 and my data downstream was at 1kbps. That isn't a typo. Even in a 5-bar 3G area my EVO cannot push higher than 400kbps which is laughable.

Side question: Is it common for your EVO to have a 'data lockup' moving from Wifi to 3G? Most of the time I have to turn on airplane mode and off again to make my data connect. And yes this is my third EVO and no Sprint won't do anything about it. They wanted to charge me $50 to replace it again so I decided to keep it until I can upgrade/bail.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

There are times where my ping was around 300 and my data downstream was at 1kbps. That isn't a typo. Even in a 5-bar 3G area my EVO cannot push higher than 400kbps which is laughable.

LOL! thats funny, i only thought Brooklyn experienced that. Without WIMAX, I've got no usable youtube on my phone... period.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Good grief Sprint 3G speeds are abysmal in brooklyn. The only way I can listen to TuneIn radio off the net without a hitch or watch youtube vids at the gum on the hampster wheel is off wimax.

So for me, no lit up LTE, no deal.

This!!! It's the same thing here in St. Louis

envoynv

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm getting it on specs alone.

Course, I'm another in Dallas, so by the time I get the phone I should have LTE coverage, so I'm looking forward to it. (my upgrade is in October)

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk 2

Nice shoes

alucke

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I currently have an evo 3d my original 3d started to turn off every time I would receive calls. Sprint sent me a replacement 3d, and it's doing the exact same thing as the phone it replaced. Not sure if I should wait for the evo 4g LTE to upgrade, or should I leave android to go with the Iphone 64GB.

alucke

alucke

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Help!!! trying to decide on a phone. should I stay with Android and wait till the evo 4g LTE comes out, or should I go with an Iphone 4s 32GB???

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the new phones are worth it.

Unless you are transferring multiple photos, songs, or other big files, keep the LTE off and save your battery.

The point of the new phones is the big HD displays.

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm still rollin' the OG EVO 4G but I had no 4G coverage when I bought it... and still don't! In fact, it's never been on a 4G network to this day.

I'll be moving on to the next device with LTE probably in a month or two and don't care if I have LTE coverage or not.
Same for me... Indianapolis never got 4g. I think they tested 1 tower near a part of town I never venture (hubby works there) but that was it. Kinda hard to miss something you never had. New maps show all of Indy and it's suburbs will get LTE but I'm not holding my breath.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Sprint learned thier lesson about relying on a 3rd party for rollouts. Thats why this is a sprint rollout on sprint towers(every tower, not just here and there either.)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Sprint learned thier lesson about relying on a 3rd party for rollouts. Thats why this is a sprint rollout on sprint towers(every tower, not just here and there either.)

Ouch!!!

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yep, while sprint has done some things I dont agree with.
1)nickle and dime stuff with bill calculations.
2) letting thier 3g network degrade to almost unusable in places.

But it seems most people distrust sprint for the wimax rollout failure. Which sadly wasn't really in sprints control. That was clearwire's epic fail.

Looks like sprint learned thier lesson thus far.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Here's the thing... wimax is dead, LTE is the way forward. Why would you choose anything other than an LTE phone?

on Sprint and Wimax...

Sprint had 2.5ghz spectrum they acquired as a result of the nextel merger that the FCC mandated they use or lose by 2009. LTE (the technology) wasn't ready for mass deployment but wimax was.

Sprint intentionally farmed out the build-out of the wimax network to clearwire so Sprint wouldn't get saddled with a dead-end network (this is my take based on reading between the lines... so take it with a grain of salt). I think this was a wise move.

On Sprint and LTE...

Sprint had to wait until now to deploy LTE since they were waiting on re-banding of spectrum in the SMR spectrum due to nextel frequencies that were interfering with public service bands. The FCC mandated this rebanding (with good reason) but it was an incredibly painful and expensive process since the rebanding required negotiations with separate public service groups throughout the country.

So, why Sprint...

I'm with Sprint because I think they give me the most bang for the buck. I get Verizon's coverage (and Verizon does have the best coverage) but without the cost or limitations. Where I live, the GSM providers just don't have the coverage to be an option.

I think Sprint is currently executing well... their customer service went from a bunch of snot-nosed teens sneering at customers to (for the most part) competent and courteous help. They have most of the nextel messes cleaned up and now appear to be executing at a fairly good clip with their network vision rollout.

NYCHitman1

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my EVO Shift

That sucks bro. I get awesome 3G where I live on Long Island, not to mention I also get superb WiMAX signal, but never use it. Running a speed test now and I'm popping off anywhere between 1.31-2.33 mbps on the DS.

As for everyone complaining about their poor 3G service, you do realize that the vast majority of areas that currently get 3G will have LTE, right? Even then, your 3G service will be enhanced as LTE is being rolled out due to NV towers going active. Do some research, folks. It won't kill you.