with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth it?

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth i

Hi All,

Just my 2 cents worth. I agree with most of what is said here, however the fact that I have never had 4G in my area since I've had my EVO 4G, plus the slow 3G service I get unless I have full signal strength. Still makes me worry about it.

I seriously think that if Verizon had just the unlimited data options on there plan like Sprint does, there would be a lot of die hard sprint fans jump ship and go with Verizon and I don't understand why Verizon hasn't tried this yet.

For me it's the breaking point of staying with Sprint or moving to Verizon.....

HamRadioNut

JDMR777

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

The only negative I see about the phone not having a slot for a memory card.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
As good as the phone looks, I think I'm still going to wait until next year. I'm curious to see how Sprint's 800MHz LTE rollout will go. I'm not convinced that anything Sprint releases this year (or even next) will be compatible with that spectrum.

I'm quite happy with my EVO 3D at this point. It still has a lot of life left in it. I think I'll wait for the next crop of LTE devices on Sprint.

Last edited:

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I for one will be switching to Verizon this summer. I REALLY love this phone, but according to the data, my area won't get LTE until at least end of 2013, and it might not even be all of my area, just close to me.

I know many people say 4g isn't needed, and I can see that. However, when the 3g network is giving me dial-up speeds 24/7, it makes my phones unusable. Since November of 2010, I can't get above 150kbps down or up from the hours of 6am until 3am. So there is pretty much a three hour window late at night when the 3g actually works. I work in the field and regularly use my phone to show videos/pictures to clients, and I can't even use my phone for what it's designed for. It literally takes 10 minutes to load a 2 minute youtube video. I have to look at my schedule a day in advance, and manually download the videos I need off my wifi at home for the next day.

I really don't want to leave sprint, the voice coverage is 99% perfect in my area. And as I've been a customer for almost 15 years now, and they pretty much bend over backwards for me when it comes to issues, discounts, and upgrades. But this 3g fiasco will never get fixed anytime soon, so I must leave.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

That sucks bro. I get awesome 3G where I live on Long Island, not to mention I also get superb WiMAX signal, but never use it. Running a speed test now and I'm popping off anywhere between 1.31-2.33 mbps on the DS.

As for everyone complaining about their poor 3G service, you do realize that the vast majority of areas that currently get 3G will have LTE, right? Even then, your 3G service will be enhanced as LTE is being rolled out due to NV towers going active. Do some research, folks. It won't kill you.

man my 3G is slow as crap. I just ran a test on my phone here in Manhattan down in the Financial District area running 3G. Here's what I got:

Test Date: Apr 16, 2012 11:40:49 am
Connection Type: EvdoA
Server: New York, NY
Download: 231 kbps
Upload: 276 kbps
Ping: 499 ms

168137662.png

Its so frustrating I want to scream. And this is after making sure my PRL is updated.

dhoshman

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I would get it. I got the 4g on launch day when I lived in Indianapolis and never knew what 4g was (Still no 4g in Indy). When I moved back to SoCal where I get excellent 4g signal its great but to be honest Im almost always on wifi when I need to use my data. Now I am a small business owner and need to tether my phone to my laptop for work sometimes and having the option to do that on 4g is a big plus. Currently here in San Bernardino county we are a second round LTE market so shouldn't be too long on 3g. I will be keeping my Epic 4g Touch for the wimax whereas I usually sell my previous device due to a little anxiety about the loss of 4g lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred