word substitution

erose75

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry Key2, just got an S20+. I am trying to get word substitution working, mainly for contractions. For example, if I type "hel", it will become "he'll". "couldnt" becomes "couldn't)..."wel" becomes "we'll"...etc

I've already entered all the replacements in settings>language and input>on-screen keyboard>samsung keyboard>smart typing>text shortcuts.

but when I type the shortcuts, they aren't correcting. Is there somewhere else I should be entering these?

I'm using blackberry launcher, hub+ for email, and google messages for text. It's not working in hub emails or messages app.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

erose75

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
If I go into "auto replace" and toggle that on it seems to use my subs...however it won't capitalize at the beginning of a sentence if it switches to a sub. So if i start a sentence with "Couldnt" it changes to "couldn't"

It also replaces other words that I don't want to replace. So I really don't want "auto replace" on. This is frustrating.

erose75

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site

Mine does appear to do that as well, but I want it to happen when I push the spacebar. Maybe that just isn't an option. I've never had to focus on the suggested word line because the blackberries would just do it with the spacebar. Guess I will have to learn a new trick. I guess it is too bad the Blackberry keyboard isn't included in the launcher or Hub+.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah looks like that's the way , I've seen some members here mentioning they had used blackberry keyboard but don't know how they went about it .

Let me see if @Morty2264 might know

erose75

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
I tagged morty and if any other members see this thread hopefully can help with blackberry keyboard , your welcome!

Appreciate it! Maybe there is a sideload option for blackberry vkb app (although, I have never done a sideload app apk...so I will need further instruction if so...LOL)

Also, I don't use a Samsung account...I wonder if that opens up more options inside Samsung apps?

erose75

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Keyboard works exactly the way I want it now. Those of you that use Crackberry might know Cobalt has an app you can download that will get you access to the blackberry keyboard app. I was able to get it on that way and set it up exactly how I had it in my Key2.