Dna vs. Note2 vs. Razr maxx

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Dwayne,
Yeah I have it down to the Maxx HD & GN2.
The Maxx HD would be the safe conservative way to go and I would be fine. But I think I might get bored soon because, although it is better than my T-bolt in every way, it is not innovative or exciting.
The GN2 is dramaticly larger with S-Pen and dual screen multi-tasking.
It's riskier because the form might wear on me and I get tired of looking like a dork (no offense to you and others with GN2) talking into a shoe box on the side of my head. Carrying it on a belt clip holster case as I do my T-bolt could prove challenging as well.
Those issues are purely cosmetic. I will be documenting in the next week or two all of the times and locations that I notice 3g signals to quantify how big an issue no having SVDO could be for me.
VZW maps show full blown LTE in my entire area so some of the blame could be my creaky old T-bolt.
As far as JB on the MAXX HD, I know I can get by without but I don't want to go through the upgrade angst again. T-bolt owners had to wait a long time just to go from Froyo to Ginger Bread. I don't want to be on these forums looking for rumors of when the update will come.
I am heavily leaning toward the GN2 but I want get ot launch week and may wait as long as until after the new year. The MAXX HD is supposed to be updated to JB by then and there will be solid reports of how GN2 battery life holds up on full time LTE. I will have a better feel if 3g is still a big part of my daily life and not having SVDO is a problem or not.
We also will get a feel for what's coming at CES.
It is hard to wait though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I will emphasize this to you and anyone else considering the Note 2, the S pen makes a huge difference. I use it more and more everyday, I was just on a call and my wife asked me to fax Something, I put the phone on speaker, took the S pen out, the notepad automatically came out and I was able to take notes right then and there. I do that sort of thing a lot now. I am even posting this with my S pen. It makes things a lot easier. I have had dozens of devices in the last 3 years but I have never owned anything like this. And it isn't even fully functional yet. we are still waiting for the multi window feature to be added. The battery is incredible. I took the phone off the charger @ 4.30 am. I have watched about 2 1/2 hours of Netflix, video chatted for about 30 minutes, made phone calls and sent about 30 text messages, LTE and full brightness have been on most of the time. @ 2:16pm I'm at 53% battery. That's impressive.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
My Note 2 just got delivered. I moved up from a Galaxy S3 for the Note 2 mainly because of the stylus/S-Note features and because it's future-proofed for T-Mobile LTE deployment next year and having a Quad-Core Exynos + 2gigs Ram will keep this device top-of-the-line for at least a year if not longer.

At the end of the day I sold my GS3 + Nexus 7 for a total of $590, and then bought the Note 2 outright for $600. So essentially I spent $10 on the best phone out and simplified my life by not having a smartphone AND a tablet, instead going with a "phablet."

It was a no brainer.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Damn all of you with the note in hand. Salivating with every passing moment waiting for Verizon's release. I played with the DNA today in the store and wasn't necessarily impressed like I was with the note when I first saw it at best buy. Oh yea, the VZW home button doesn't bother me either. I have a hard time using my iphone5 when I keep playing with the note.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day I sold my GS3 + Nexus 7 for a total of $590, and then bought the Note 2 outright for $600. So essentially I spent $10 on the best phone out and simplified my life by not having a smartphone AND a tablet, instead going with a "phablet."

It was a no brainer.

So you almost broke even on selling the S3 and Nexus 7? You absolutely sure you factored in Tax? Anyway well played.

Whether you can hold off now another year is a different story :beer::beer::beer::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
For me, the biggest issue between the Maxx HD and the DNA or Note 2 is the camera. I take a bunch if pictures and like having a quality camera on my phone. The Maxx HD is easily the worst of that group.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
So you almost broke even on selling the S3 and Nexus 7? You absolutely sure you factored in Tax? Anyway well played.

Whether you can hold off now another year is a different story :beer::beer::beer::thumbup:

There was no tax on my purchase because I bought the Note 2 on eBay and also sold by GS3 and Nexus 7 on eBay as well. After factoring in eBays fee then I've spent about $30-$40 for the Note 2.

I hope I can hold off until my next upgrade to buy a new phone. Considering I used my upgrade on the GS3 in late August and T-Mobiles upgrade cycle is 18 months (*15 months from now for me at this point) I think the Note 2 can last me.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
There was no tax on my purchase because I bought the Note 2 on eBay and also sold by GS3 and Nexus 7 on eBay as well. After factoring in eBays fee then I've spent about $30-$40 for the Note 2.

I hope I can hold off until my next upgrade to buy a new phone. Considering I used my upgrade on the GS3 in late August and T-Mobiles upgrade cycle is 18 months (*15 months from now for me at this point) I think the Note 2 can last me.

Nice!

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I thought to throw in my 2 cents worth. I migrated from a Atrix2 > OneX> Galaxy Note2. I thought going from the OneX display to the Samoled would kill me.... it took a couple hours to fall in love. Size....hummmmmm it took exactly 10 minutes to figure out that the Note2 was perfect for me. Love at first bite. I have not found a legitamate obstacle yet (size) pant. Jeans, shorts, cargo shorts are really cool the GN2 swims in them. Shirts aren't a problem either.
So the ONLY thing you need to "Hack" out is the display differences, and I have to be completely honest, as much as the LCD3 display d4ives me nuts, all the bells and whistles along with the core of integrated user features rolled into the GN2 clearly makes it the wise choice for me. The extra memory, the replaceble battery, and the s- pen just drown the DNA.
The wifi radio and its range are superior by far to the HTC Line. Their is a great app for free wifi analyser...see for yourself.
I went through 3 OneX devices, all were suffering from wifi and network handoff issues. At one point the issues literally rendered the phone useless. HTC refused to assist me.
Dont sell the GN2 short because off size.
I have never owned a phone that was free of bugs and hardships as this one is. It is a incredible device.

khampton

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment on the daylight screen performance of any of these phones? I would love a phone that provides acomfortable ebook experience outdoors.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone comment on the daylight screen performance of any of these phones? I would love a phone that provides acomfortable ebook experience outdoors.

Mine if fine outside. However IMO No LCD is going to provide a good ebook experience in bright outdoor light. With clouds or on a day where it is not extreme sun, this screen is fine outside though IMO ...

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Again, Thanks everyone for all the responses. I am about to head out and will be stopping to look at the DNA at the Verizon store near me - just to rIule it out. The combo of the smaller battery, no SD card ability, non-removable battery and the LED light functionality is pushing me toward the G-Note II. I was at the Jets/Pats game last night - (ugg what a destruction) and was standing down by the Jets bench next to someone with the Note - she was going on and on about how much she liked it! I got to play with it a little and its really sweet!! I meant to ask you folks, does it have a Pentile Matrix on the display?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I so wanted the DNA. I have had the original Incredible. Then the bolt and now the Rezound. But NO SD card is a deal breaker for me. I am very torn between the S3 and the Note 2. I like them both a lot and yes they may cost more but what they do ....well worth it. I have small hands but honestly I didn't feel the note2 to be too big to handle. Such a gorgeous screen. Crisp and clear. The stylus is so cool. What this phone does is so cool and being the tech older person I am and use my phone's capabilities its a tough choice this time. My brother just got the S3 and lives it. He told me he thought I would be partial to the Note2... He knows me well. But I use my phone for music too. I don't care about movies. They both have my interest. Am glad i have time ...march. but I think it will be the note. Definitely white.

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely leaning that way.
It's not just tethering though.
I use the browsing and email functions a lot when I'm on calls.
I have to log on to various sites to look up or retrieve data as well as get and send email while using phone. If I'm in a 3g area I wouldn't be able to do that on the GN2 where I could on my T-bolt, MAXX HD, or DNA. So that is a REAL STEP BACK in capability that I wouldn't have to make on the MAXX HD.
The bells & whistles on the GN2 are capabilities that I have never had so not really a step BACK.
That is the practical business person in me speaking.
The other side of me wants to step forward and get the new bells & whistles.
Thanks for the comment.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

FIRST: NEVER TRUST VERIZON!
now...
I too am a first day TBOLT owner. I have had the same conversation with myself and I thought of it in a different way finally.
Where did I go wrong with the TBOLT?
A. I Bought it day 1
B. I needed a phone and this was the first 4g phone and I neeeded a new phone (I waited 4 months for this one).
My TBOLT wasn't as touchy as some peoples and due to circumstances beyond my coordination I now have a brand new TBOLT from Best Buy. I now, within the last 2 weeks finally get some 4G at home, thanks Big Red, Ha!. Glad I bought a flagship 4G phone almost 2 years ago for that.
My point being that nothing seems much better than what I already have. Everyone's raving about the N2 above so that alone has to make it a consideration, Im a note taker with a fat thumb so I will give it a look. Otherwise Im for waiting. I rushed into a phone because I had to, right now I don't have to, I want to. My only real complaint about the OS is that there were big changes from Gingerbread to ICS and the current versions of many of the apps don't work on GB. Most of my apps are 6 months to a year old so that they continue to work. I would never buy another phone that wasn't on the current OS. I have a fast phone with a great screen that my aging eyes can see. I have a 1700mA mytouch4G battery that fits with the original back and gives just the missing amount needed. In addition I can actually get and receive calls. And did I mention my new replacement phone has a new clean unpeeled kickstand HAHAHAHA! Don't hate me because you are jealous of my new kickstand :)

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Went from a Tbolt to the 32gig S3 and love the phone. The GNote2 now has my interest. Fascinated by that pen magic. The DNA is also very nice. However, 16gig isn't going to cut it. For either the GNote2 or the DNA. I'm forced to wait until 32 or 64gig models are offered. Removable vs non-removable battery is not my issue. I am normally around some type of charger, car, work or home. For remote power, I use external batteries. The ones I had for my TBolt are now used on the S3.

I examined the DNA at a VZW store today. Very beautiful and very tempting. Absolutely gorgeous phone, screen and top notch performance. But, there's that storage issue. Told the lady if it had 32gig we'd be doing a deal. And the S3 will be passed to a daughter to replace another TBolt.

So, on the sidelines waiting for the storage increase.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums