SMS won't load

BorderGirl

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I've ran into this problem over the last three weeks or so. I cannot get any of my text message conversations to load. I've done 3 battery pulls and nothing has changed. I can still send outgoing messages and can receive them but I cannot open the conversation and see what was previously said. It gets stuck on "loading" and never moves away from there. It doesn't matter if my previous conversation had 5 messages or 5,000. Nothing will open.

Has anyone else run into this? What can be done to fix it?

I should add that I have been able to fix this previously with a battery pull but at this point nothing seems to get it to load.

Last edited:

BorderGirl

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've done two factory resets and so far no go. I can send text messages and receive them but only read them in the notification window but I can't see the full conversation. The folks at my local Verizon store didn't know what to tell me and suggested I call technical support. I'll keep tinkering around to see what I can come up with.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Tech support will walk you through a battery pull, a factory reset and then ultimately send out a refurbished device to replace yours. If you call them and get to the level 2 tech as quickly as possible explain that you have tried a battery pull, a factory reset and nothing has solved it they will probably just overnight the replacement and you send yours back to them for Frankenstein-ing with a bunch of other defective ones. It is more cost efficient than actually try to help you fix your problem.

silverghost

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I began to have this same problem last night. Battery pulls / re-boots sporadcally get the app working working again, but only temporarily. I DO NOT want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it, because all my MMS messages will be lost (among other reasons). 30 mins on the phone with a level 2 Verizon Tech got nowhere.

silverghost

May 14, 2011
Visit site

silverghost

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Update - My problem got to the point that the only message thread I couldn't open was the one with 4700+ messages. I decided it was likely the source of the problem, so (painful as it was) I deleted the entire thread. It was backed up to Gmail, so at least I didn't lose the messages entirely. The phone now works just like before - no "loading" issue! Apparently there is a physical limit to the size of a message thread, so I guess we just have to live with that.

The phone can be set to automatically delete old messages. Messages/Settings/General/Delete Old Messages. There you can choose a limit of up to 5000 SMS and 999 MMS messages per conversation. Based on this recent experience, I set mine to 4500 and 600 in order to prevent future problems. As long as I do regular backups to Gmail, I'll retain a permanent copy of everything.

Get "Backup to Gmail" at the Market.

GeekCop

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It does not fix the problem but it replaces it, download an app called 'go sms pro'. It is an app that allows you to read your messages.

Go SMS Pro is simply another SMS reader (and quite a good one, it's become my favorite), but likely isn't going to address the root of the problem.

Jojo Tam

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Try Android phone manager to load all your sms on PC and you'll see all the conversations clearly just like chatting with friends on Skype.

Especially, you can text to friends easily on your PC and text to a group, or export sms to local for backup etc.

It's Free now to download here. MobileGo Studio - Activity | Facebook

vonhammerstein

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
It is simple the app messages has a glitch. I don't know the specific amount of messages that causes the problem, however if u have to many messages it will cause the malfunction. It is the total amount of messages, not the specific threads. Just delete some of your old messages and you will be good.

dollar381

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I had the problem of msgs loading for an eternity with no load actually taking place. I followed the advice of changing the msg settings to a larger capacity with no luck. Then followed the advice of downloading GO SMS pro and it was successful. Not sure if it was a combo of both actions, but am pleased with the results. I can access all msgs and did not have to delete, factory reset, or back up with gmail. Thank you to all for the input and advice.

gregrun

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Best way to delete messages and get rid of this problem using SMS Backup & Restore (Root Required):

Backup your SMS messages
Clear all of your messages
Restore only messages from the last year

Much easier than going in and deleting entire threads because the threads I don't care to keep are probably the ones that have the fewest messages in them so it will take a lot of manual deletion to make a reasonable dent.

Moncsikitten

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
hi there
i have the same issue with a dual sim phone
i tried all what was discussed here already apart from 'go sms pro'
i already tried other message apps but they dont seems to support dual sim texting (meaning when i am texting i am choosing which sim to use for each text - i have this for cost containment)
so, my question would be that 'go sms pro' would support dual sim, or if not do you know a message app that would please?
many thanks in advance
:)

Haris Saleem

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
hi there
i have the same issue with a dual sim phone
i tried all what was discussed here already apart from 'go sms pro'
i already tried other message apps but they dont seems to support dual sim texting (meaning when i am texting i am choosing which sim to use for each text - i have this for cost containment)
so, my question would be that 'go sms pro' would support dual sim, or if not do you know a message app that would please?
many thanks in advance
:)

Well I have the same problem too, and the bitter truth is here in post below, THE EXACT count caused this issue in my htc Desire V.

Update - My problem got to the point that the only message thread I couldn't open was the one with 4700+ messages. I decided it was likely the source of the problem, so (painful as it was) I deleted the entire thread. It was backed up to Gmail, so at least I didn't lose the messages entirely. The phone now works just like before - no "loading" issue! Apparently there is a physical limit to the size of a message thread, so I guess we just have to live with that.

The phone can be set to automatically delete old messages. Messages/Settings/General/Delete Old Messages. There you can choose a limit of up to 5000 SMS and 999 MMS messages per conversation. Based on this recent experience, I set mine to 4500 and 600 in order to prevent future problems. As long as I do regular backups to Gmail, I'll retain a permanent copy of everything.

Get "Backup to Gmail" at the Market.

Seems like we can do nothing but either remove our beloved long conversation (after backing it up ofcourse) OR we can use third party apps.

Let me tell you that using GoSMS has following limitations:
1. Restricts you from viewing unread message count on lock screen/Home screen
2. Searching within conversations is not convenient enough
3. You may not scroll the conversation Date-Wise.
4. Takes additional memory of course.

If these trade-offs are OK for you, GoSMS is the best choice for you :)

Simre

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. From SMS settings, I limit the history messages number to 500. Waited a little, once sms app crashed(probably were deleting old ones). Then it worked very fine... It seems that stock sms app has a history limit...