Verizon rep says to stay away

WoodiE55

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I stopped by a local Verizon store here in town over the weekend and was looking at changing my service plan to add my fiance to my account. While I was there they told me I was eligible for an upgrade. I'm currently using the BB Tour and over all am happy with it, though I REALLY hate the trackball.

At any rate I asked about the Incredible and the Verizon sales rep didn't have much good to say about it. First he said they had a few issues at first, but didn't go into detail and said they was out of stock until June sometime, he also mentioned a number of customers complaining about reception. He said even his own manager on a telephone conference said he was surprised he was still connected because his Incredible has been having a horrid time with reception. The last thing the Verizon sales rep said was that battery life gets drained very quickly with the Incredible.

Have anyone else experienced these types of issues? I like the large touch screen of the incredible and all the software apps available. However I need a phone with a decent life span, at the least all day before needing a recharge.

I'm curious if I should just upgrade to the BB Bold 9650 with the trackpad and just skip the Incredible all together. If the Bold is anything like my Tour I'll be able to get 2-3 days out of the battery life with little use and have perfect reception.

Your thoughts?

rmb#AC

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I disagree with MOST of the reps comments. I had the Tour until last week. I did not realize how out dated BB is until I got this phone. It has exceeded my expectations and I won't be going back to BB. The INC really makes Blackberry look like a "Dumb Phone".

I haven't had any reception issues but it has been mentioned several times that the "bars" aren't accurate. You may only have one or two bars but perfect reception.

The battery does suck though. I broke down and bought a car charger. After some tweeks my battery life is much better but not on par with the Tour.

chomsky1

Banned
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Same old blah blah that's all over these forums. I take advice from VZW in-store reps like I take shots of gin, which is to say not at all. Do your own research...there's a lot more real world, practical advice on these forums than you'll get from a guy making $12 an hour in a retail store.

wryun

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Tour, and ordered my Inc a few days ago. I am used to getting a couple days on one charge as well. I would be happy to get only one day out of a single charge with the Inc. Would it be necessary to get the bigger Sedio battery?

@ "rmb": what tweaks did you do?

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any of those problems. I love my incredible and would never go back to my BB

Ditto, although the battery life is not on par with any BlackBerry. That's what happens when you're powering a Snapdragon processor and updating widgets in the background all day.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious if I should just upgrade to the BB Bold 9650 with the trackpad and just skip the Incredible all together. If the Bold is anything like my Tour I'll be able to get 2-3 days out of the battery life with little use and have perfect reception.

Your thoughts?

I was set on waiting for the new Bold until I saw the OS 6.0 presentation from WES.

For better or worse, RIM is so far behind on OS's that unless they find a "partner" soon they will get lapped by MS, Android and Mac.

They need someone to buy out the BES/BIS portion of the company and provide some decent HW and SW.

The Tour/Bold are great messaging phones, but EVERYTHING else is so difficult to accomplish due to the limited HW and horrible OS.

Now, if someone would make an Android phone with a great Bold-like keyboard. mmmmmmm.

TDAY#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that is better on BlackBerry is the battery life. That is the only thing I miss since switching to the incredible. But the browser alone is worth the switch. I don't regret the switch at all.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Battery life was terrible until I installed Advanced Task Killer and began auto-killing background apps. One of their included programs (maybe Footprints, maybe CityID, or something else) runs continuously and eats up battery. I used to get 10 hours of life out of the phone with medium usage. Now I get 20-24 hours.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Holy smokes id love to get more then 6 hours outa of my inc that is with the seido battery. Ive got more dropted calls then any vzw phone ive owned. for battery and signal my 9530 storm its way better

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
The best thing to do would be to set your sync times, or do a manual sync with auto sync off. I have my Incredible set to sync every 2hrs, Twitter and Facebook I sync manually.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The reception on the DI is just as good as any blackberry that Verizon has. The dbM levels from my Blackberry to my DI are exactly the same +/- 3 dbM depending on where I'm at. The battery does die pretty quickly if you use the phone like it was intended that's the only thing I see that he told the truth on......

Sounds like a die hard BB fan boy sales rep, I've heard from a couple of those myself.

bbfunnyman

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Reception shows fewer bars than a BB in some situations, but there is not standard for this dBm = 1 bar, it varies by manufacturer.

I am a BB Storm user who switched over, and I am yet to lose a call or have bad reception once, my Storm in the same conditions, would loose calls in my house (bottom of a residential valley) a few times a month, the Incredible works smoothly in the corners of my house the BB could not.

It does seem to use more battery than the Storm in low-signal areas, but in those areas, it has better performance for than the BB.

As for battery, yeah the stock battery should have been stronger, but the data on the Inc is not compressed, so its sending and receiving much more data than a bb (all bbs use compression through the bb server (requesting....), and using more juice.

Regardless of this drawback, I won't be using my Storm again except for international travel, the features of the phone are SOOOO much better. Just try Voice Search once in the store and you will see why.

Last edited:

joker#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The signal bars are unreliable yea - but the reception strength measured in dBm matched my LG Dare which held on to at least 3-4 bars everywhere. The Inc even holds on to a signal in places where the Dare would give up and flash "No reception".

The battery lasts well over 24 hours for me without additional tricks so *shrugs* no big deal there, to me anyway.

locoman56

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The verizon rep I talked to acted like he was a professional when I asked him when the HTC Eris would get the OTA 2.1 update and he said the Eris would never get the 2.1 update because it can't be updated over 1.7. LOL,LOL,

buckunit101

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i roughly have between -92 to -115 all the time but it very depending were im at but basiclly it will stay on par with my s2 from time to time i hold them right next to one another and check using meterberry on the s2 and on the incredible i go to setting/about phone/network