What can Inc. do that Eris can't?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
...I mean, other than 2.2?

I assume it can run all the apps, all the google features, etc?

The reason I ask is because I want to get my wife her first smartphone. She won't need the bleeding edge (so I think spending money on an Inc. would be overkill), but I would like to get her an Android HTC phone because I am probably getting an Incredible and a) I want something I can help her with and b) something she can integrate with google apps.

However, if the Eris can't do a lot of the stuff (like google mobile apps), then I won't be happy with it.

omgbeav

May 6, 2010
www.beavsgraphics.com
My wife has the Eris and was content with it until I got the Incredible. The Eris gets pretty laggy at times and runs low on memory. At this point, the only thing my Inc does that her Eris doesn't is run live wallpapers, but since the Eris is so close to end of life with Verizon it's probably worth spending the extra $120 if she's going to be stuck with it for two years. It's doubtful that Google/HTC will push out any future updates for it too

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Go with a moto droid, amazon has them for $20 with new activation.

Thanks. I thought about a Moto Droid, but I had also thought about an Eris so that both of our phones would be HTC and easier to help her with any issues. This would be my first Android and first HTC phone (currently have Palm Treo), and thought if I got her something other than an HTC, I'd have to learn how to operate 2 different phones instead of 1.

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm with omg.beav on this one. If you can, get the Inc for her as well. The performance increase alone is worth it over the long-term.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

The reason I ask is because I want to get my wife her first smartphone. She won't need the bleeding edge (so I think spending money on an Inc. would be overkill), but I would like to get her an Android HTC phone because I am probably getting an Incredible and a) I want something I can help her with and b) something she can integrate with google apps.

However, if the Eris can't do a lot of the stuff (like google mobile apps), then I won't be happy with it.

If you love your wife and care for the stability of your marriage then you must get her an Incredible.

You buy cheaper devices for children, not your spouses.

The Eris is outdated and really not that great of a phone when compared to newer Android headsets.

Sure the eris may run the same apps as other high end devices, but the speed, additional memory, and just pure awesomeness of the incredible far outstrip any reason to buy an eris.

a happy wife = a happy life. Don't skimp out when buying the wifey an Android device.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an Eris. It's a good phone if you keep it at 1.5.......if you do the 2.1 update it makes the phone slower, less responsive in result, runs it low on memory as well as a number of other bugs.

If you can afford it either get her a Droid or Incredible. For the money you won't go wrong with the life span and features they both offer. Personally if it's her first Android device I would suggest something with Sense UI as it pseudo-"dumbs" down the phone a bit and makes it not appear so techy. The incredible is the device to get right now!

omgbeav

May 6, 2010
www.beavsgraphics.com
My wife has an Eris. It's a good phone if you keep it at 1.5.......if you do the 2.1 update it makes the phone slower, less responsive in result, runs it low on memory as well as a number of other bugs.

Yep, that's when my wife's phone got not so good... Unfortunately, if you stay on 1.5 you don't get Navigation or Sense 2.1

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the navigation was one of the major reasons my wife wanted it. But after the update she started having the silent call bug, and I figure the replacement we get will have it too. Not sure if it affects all the Eris devices but I imagine it does. So we will see it should be here today or tomorrow.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm in agreement with most of the people here. I would ask one question though. Is she into tech? If so, you can't get her an outdated phone. That's just wrong.

One other thing, you mentioned 2.2. Incredible won't have 2.2 for a while.

Saiyajin

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd say get her the Inc too. Just because it's new and will be able to handle updates for a while. It'll also kill any phone envy. ;)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I figure we are quite a ways off from 2.2 and probably by then 2.3 will be here. Don't quote me but didn't Google say the next Android revision would be here by the end of summer?

I'd say get her the Inc too. Just because it's new and will be able to handle updates for a while. It'll also kill any phone envy. ;)

Yeah my wife hates me now that I have a better phone than her lol.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
No, she isn't into tech, and she won't be envious of my phone vs. her phone. I don't think she will care. What I will care about is if she can't do some of the things I want her to do if her phone doesn't support it. But, at the same time, I don't have $150 just laying around to spend recklessly.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think asking what Incredible can do that Eris can't is a good question...

Try "How much faster can DROID Incredible do things than the Eris."

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Unless the price has already dropped to $79 it's worth the extra $50 to put her in the incredible. From using both phones it's worth $100 to move her up in my opinion. If you buy her an "outdated" device you will just end up buying her a phone sooner.

omgbeav

May 6, 2010
www.beavsgraphics.com
But, at the same time, I don't have $150 just laying around to spend recklessly.

It's understandable, but I try to look at the bigger picture. If you're keeping the phone for two years it's going to be worth it. I'm not sure how your account is set up, but if she's listed as the primary, she can upgrade every year with the two year pricing. If you both get your phones at the same time, you can let her use yours too and see how she feels verses a bunch of nerds on the internets ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2