What your cell phone says about you!

mobiledevice

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I actually didn't like it. Sure, the shot at iPhone users was funny; and the 2 Droids for $60 at walmart was slightly funny... but honestly, Nokia and the 80's phone? Those aren't even relevant, let alone funny.

They left out plenty of phone types, and it just seemed like a very poorly put together attempt at a funny list because the author had to get his/her submission into his or her editor by the deadline. I've written better comedy on a napkin after 8 beers.

Edit: Sorry if I sound like a jerk. I've just been too close to too many lazy internet comedians, and sometimes this half-ass comedy gets my goat.

Last edited:

trock70

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was great, I was the one with the first two. I mean how many choices did you have when the bricks were around?

triciaaz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's keep it light

They left out plenty of phone types, and it just seemed like a very poorly put together attempt at a funny list because the author had to get his/her submission into his or her editor by the deadline. I've written better comedy on a napkin after 8 beers.

Edit: Sorry if I sound like a jerk. I've just been too close to too many lazy internet comedians, and sometimes this half-ass comedy gets my goat.[/QUOTE]

Okay. I get it. But, please, feel free to . . . well . . . say nothing. It was offered for a little bit of light humor. If that doesn't work for you, move on.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I actually didn't like it. Sure, the shot at iPhone users was funny; and the 2 Droids for $60 at walmart was slightly funny... but honestly, Nokia and the 80's phone? Those aren't even relevant, let alone funny.

Edit: Sorry if I sound like a jerk. I've just been too close to too many lazy internet comedians, and sometimes this half-ass comedy gets my goat.

ROTFLMAO......Don't hold back tell us how you really feel

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
How are flip and brick phones not relevant? People actually still use them and he classified them properly...

Of course there are other phone types, but there if its too lengthy, you'll lose the reader... Meh... To each his own...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Sorry you didn't like it, but I didn't post it for you so no hard feelings ;)

The 80's phone was a jab at the actor who player Zack Morris on saved by the bell, appearing on Jay Leno. It was poking at the crappy comedy you are talking about. So ironically you both have the same sense of humor. lawl

The other stuff is true or funny or both. And the watch phone thing was demoed recently. Geez keep up with tech news and pop culture lol.

------------- < Funny

------------- <Your head

Last edited:

mobiledevice

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
and I thought apology I edited in there would have avoided this...

I apologize for the severity of my comments, but I stand by them. Let me also start by saying that I don't want to insult you, I'm only expressing where I'm coming from on this. : ) I like you, Qazme, and I don't want us to not like each other any more.

Funny is subjective, and here's how I see it.

The watch phone has been around since the mid 80s at least, and it is a symbol of the time for many who grew up then. It evokes memories of childhood or adolescence, and that makes people feel good. It doesn't matter that someone tried to bring it back recently. Comedy is not just pointing at things from the past and saying, "Remember that?". That's why people get so excited when someone sings the theme song to Captain Planet or Facts of Life. Just because I get the reference, doesn't mean it's funny. And if it's funny to you, it doesn't change the fact that it's lazy comedy.

The 80s phone and Zach Morris on Jay Leno is the same joke.

Sometimes I'm accused of having a 'refined' sense of humor.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
(You probably don't understand)

and I thought apology I edited in there would have avoided this...

I apologize for the severity of my comments, but I stand by them. Let me also start by saying that I don't want to insult you, I'm only expressing where I'm coming from on this. : ) I like you, Qazme, and I don't want us to not like each other any more.

Funny is subjective, and here's how I see it.

The watch phone has been around since the mid 80s at least, and it is a symbol of the time for many who grew up then. It evokes memories of childhood or adolescence, and that makes people feel good. It doesn't matter that someone tried to bring it back recently. Comedy is not just pointing at things from the past and saying, "Remember that?". That's why people get so excited when someone sings the theme song to Captain Planet or Facts of Life. Just because I get the reference, doesn't mean it's funny. And if it's funny to you, it doesn't change the fact that it's lazy comedy.

The 80s phone and Zach Morris on Jay Leno is the same joke.

Sometimes I'm accused of having a 'refined' sense of humor.

You just don't get it, obviously you have a 'higher' sense of things. The jokes in that where being corny, cute, and ironic. They were using a sense of irony in what we currently find cool and used to find cool to paint a caricature of the current cell craze. Obviously a parody on life, but hell what does anyone else know about comedy. But maybe it requires a lower 'refining' to get that there is more comedy out there than what YOU find funny.

I have nothing against you, just that you were determined to "put a damper" on things with your "refined" sense of comedy and 'higher' standards. But each to his own......I still say it went over your head.....WAY over your head, obviously you are either an iPhone or Moto user, or both lol. (You probably won't get that either)

Okay. I get it. But, please, feel free to . . . well . . . say nothing. It was offered for a little bit of light humor. If that doesn't work for you, move on.

And btw saying phrases like, "Sometimes I'm accused of having a 'refined' sense of humor." just make you seem......yeah.

So we are looking for some comedy about cell phones. High brow, ironic, parody. Write us a joke funny man. Since you have wrote funnier things on a napkin and a couple of minutes, you surely can think of something witty and original with a day to think. Cause I mean obviously that writer was lazy it shouldn't take you long and I want to see what you call funny. I'm always up for a laugh.

Last edited:

mobiledevice

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
(You probably don't understand)

I understand perfectly. You think it's funny when someone makes an 80s reference and uses trite sarcasm. I don't laugh at that because I think it's overdone.

100% subjective... nobody is right or wrong. This is just my opinion.

You just don't get it, obviously you have a 'higher' sense of things. The jokes in that where being corny, cute, and ironic. They were using a sense of irony in what we currently find cool and used to find cool to paint a caricature of the current cell craze.

It wasn't irony, it was thinly veiled sarcasm. Irony is a very overused word.

Obviously a parody on life, but hell what does anyone else know about comedy. But maybe it requires a lower 'refining' to get that there is more comedy out there than what YOU find funny.

A parody on life? Hardly. And I've already made the point that comedy is subjective. You may find the same joke that every one seems to use over and over again funny (i.e., "Remember the 80s?"), but I don't. I don't even consider it a joke anymore. To begin with, there's nothing intrinsically funny about it on its own, and furthermore it's been so overused in the last 5 years or so that it stinks of laziness.

I have nothing against you, just that you were determined to "put a damper" on things with your "refined" sense of comedy and 'higher' standards.

I got upset. I explained why. I wasn't determined to put a damper on anything. I made a choice to express myself. In no way was I trying to insult you or tell people not to enjoy the article. When you post online, expect to once in a while find someone who disagrees.

But each to his own......I still say it went over your head.....WAY over your head, obviously you are either an iPhone or Moto user, or both lol. (You probably won't get that either)

I get your joke. It's funnier than any of the so-called jokes in the article. ;) However, I think you're kidding yourself if you think that an 80s reference can go over anyone's (at least who experienced the 80s and speaks English) head.

And btw saying phrases like, "Sometimes I'm accused of having a 'refined' sense of humor." just make you seem......yeah.

This was subtle hyperbole: a classic use of irony. It went over your head. :cool:

So we are looking for some comedy about cell phones. High brow, ironic, parody. Write us a joke funny man. Since you have wrote funnier things on a napkin and a couple of minutes, you surely can think of something witty and original with a day to think. Cause I mean obviously that writer was lazy it shouldn't take you long and I want to see what you call funny. I'm always up for a laugh.

Sadly, I don't have a day to think. I have spurts of 10 minutes to respond to you in the midst of a very busy work and social schedule. Also, comedy is organic. Writing 'jokes' in this context here wouldn't make much sense and wouldn't do well. The 'atmosphere' is wrong. Without revealing too much about myself, let's just say that I make people laugh every day.

Still friends? :D

Edit: Here's something I did that was funny with a full day to think about it, hopefully it translates here. OMG JOKES

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
And that's truely over used comedy....for the past anywhere from 5-10 years. I get what it's doing though and is the SAME type of comedy.......

However, in your effort to prove whatever you think you are trying to prove, you only showed you are a liar.

Mr.mobiledevice is from "Orange County" -->http://forum.androidcentral.com/members/mobiledevice.html
BUT
Mr.EventHorizon is from "Canada" --> YouTube - EventHorizon5's Channel

So something you just "wiped right up" and you hope it translates....wow......

You still didn't prove a point, and I'm still waiting on your joke.

Last edited: