Google Voice search fix

JB turbo

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is for anyone that is having the problem of the to: field not populating or the call feature always showing the wrong place and your search as a web search. The problem is that your contacts are not saved in your google account but in the phone account. Here is the fix.

Open "People" app
Hit menu
Hit Import/Export
Select Export to SD card
Select account to export "Phone"
Confirm export, hit OK
....contact will download to a vcf file on SD card....
When finished start at Hit menu but this time hit import from SD card
Select create contact under account "Google"
...contacts will load to google account.
After this most of your contacts will be duplicate in People
Hit Menu
Delete and select first contact of each duplicate then hit delete once you have selected them all.
Even if some contacts didnt duplicate they will still work with Google voice.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i dont think this is the answer. all of my contacts are saved via google rather than "phone", and voice search really doesnt work worth a damn for me either

JB turbo

May 5, 2010
Visit site
i dont think this is the answer. all of my contacts are saved via google rather than "phone", and voice search really doesnt work worth a damn for me either

If you just switch "phone" and "google" in OP in your case it will I think. If you look up in the right hand corner of one of your contacts it will show two circles and it will be green between and say linked or there will be nothing between the two. It needs to be linked. When you do what I posted in OP it links the two, unless yours is an oddity.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
worked like a charm. Some entries duplicate, but you should LINK them instead of deleting them. The ones that didn't duplicate linked automatically.

Once the above step is done do the following:

From home screen: Menu / settings / search / searchable items

Check off people. Did this help?

Last edited:

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you just switch "phone" and "google" in OP in your case it will I think. If you look up in the right hand corner of one of your contacts it will show two circles and it will be green between and say linked or there will be nothing between the two. It needs to be linked. When you do what I posted in OP it links the two, unless yours is an oddity.

all of my contacts show "google" in the top right corner. those little link icons are all two separate pieces. when i press that link, it gives me the option of linking a contact with another contact or to link to facebook, flickr, etc.

so what am i supposed to be linking?

JB turbo

May 5, 2010
Visit site
When you do what I posted in OP, but opposite on "phone" and "google", it will duplicate contacts. You will have one google and one phone. This will link the contacts together and allow voice search to work.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried this and everytime I try to call my mom it brings up call mom at home with the search next to it and it brings up a webpage when i tap that selection.