November OTA dropped video attachment size to 5Mb !!

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I found out today that the size of attachments has been dropped to 5Mb by the November OTA.
I think this will give me reason to root the phone unless there is a way to correct this back to what it used to be.....after all, a 3-4 second HD video is totally useless !!

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought the article said that they lifted the cap from 5mb. Also how big is this HD video?

Yeah, that's what they "said" ... However, in real life , I never had the 5Mb cap on my Incredible before the update... I used to regularly send 20Mb videos through gmail.
Now I'm stuck with video capability of less than 4-5 seconds or 5Mb !!

I don't know why but the update actually limited me to 5Mb file size....the total OPPOSITE of what it was supposed to do.

Verizon and HTC have been ZERO help on this issue and it has destroyed one of the things I really loved about this Incredible.

I have tried doing the *228 , *22899, and a factory reset last night that cost me hours of set up and DID NOT resolve the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

HELP PLEASE !!

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine that if the software downgrade/factory reset did not do the trick then i think its not exactly software version related.

If nothing works i guess you will have to upload the video to a source and then share the link as a workaround.

Flavy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that mine also cannot attach files greater than 5mb. I had this issue before the OTA, but I thought the OTA was to correct this issue. Here are my software versions:

Baseband -2.15.00.07.28

Build - 3.26.605.1

Software - 3.26.605.1

Reactions: KB3MMX

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

I just recieved a replacement phone today and it has the SAME problem....
On with Verizon Tech as we speak and now they are saying the release notes for the "Upgrade" ARE a typo regarding the 5Mb+ Attachment size!!
-The result of the November OTA update is that our devices have been Limited to 5Mb MAX file attachment size to email and Verizon is having their IT staff correct the notes in the software release page!!
This has RUINED a major functional capability of this device !!

Last edited:

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that mine also cannot attach files greater than 5mb. I had this issue before the OTA, but I thought the OTA was to correct this issue. Here are my software versions:

Baseband -2.15.00.07.28

Build - 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys

Software - 3.26.605.1

Note:

I have the same info as your phone apparently...

The PRI version: 1.28_002

Kernel Version: 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16
htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1

:mad::mad:

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Does any one know if rooting your phone will solve this problem? Like maybe a different ROM will allow larger files. I don't know any thing about rooting I was just curious.

Do you plan on getting a entirely different phone or plan to root your current phone?

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Does any one know if rooting your phone will solve this problem? Like maybe a different ROM will allow larger files. I don't know any thing about rooting I was just curious.

Do you plan on getting a entirely different phone or plan to root your current phone?

I'd be willing to explore either option really.. It really sucks that I can't even forward a email over 5Mb now either!!
I'm hoping that when the Unrevoked team adjusts their software that ROOT access will allow this setting to be changed.
If it can't, I'm going to look for a replacement device for my once Incredible ..Incredible

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
KB you might want to look at rooting your phone I'm sure the Rom developers will have a fix that will please you faster if not now then Verizon will. I will keep a look out for any Rom with a fix for you.

kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Was this a F up on Verizon's part or did they intensionally place the 5MB limit? is there any word on a fix being sent out?

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Was this a F up on Verizon's part or did they intensionally place the 5MB limit? is there any word on a fix being sent out?

From what Verizon told me, we're basically screwed and they won't trade out our devices for a different Android device that doesn't have the limit.

**UPDATE: VZW is now exchanging for other Android devices due to this issue after receiving 2 replacement Incredible phones with the same issue

Last edited:

kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
so it's only the Inc? that is BS we pay the same for our service yet can't do a simple thing like attach a video over 5mb,and other people can. Man...lame

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
so it's only the Inc? that is BS we pay the same for our service yet can't do a simple thing like attach a video over 5mb,and other people can. Man...lame

yep, that's right.

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage among Incredible users as it affects general Email attaching documents or just forwarding emails over 5Mb as well as killing video Multimedia sharing..

kenjd

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Here was the response I got. Stuck in this storm in Seattle so haven't call them yet. What do you guy's make of this?

Dear Ken,

My name is Angelo and I am sorry to hear that the Droid Incredible attachments/video have been limited to 5mb after the November software update. I spoke to our technical support department and they are not aware of any size limits on video or attachments on the Droid Incredible. I called them after I was unable to find any information regarding this myself. I am eager to assist you and I called you today about 3:15PM but was unable to reach you. I left you a message.

The issue you have described may need to be duplicated with a live representative, as troubleshooting equipment via e-mail is extremely difficult. Please call us at 800-922-0204 from an alternate phone to speak with a representative who will walk you through step-by-step instructions to troubleshoot the issue. Please have your wireless phone fully charged and available when you call.

Ken, I am sorry that I missed you today. We are open from 6AM - 11PM, please contact us and I hope we are able to resolve your equipment concerns soon. I want to thank you for being a valued customer; at Verizon Wireless we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Angelo

Verizon Wireless

Customer service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

linwiz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
i called, and got the run around. apparently according to the guy i talked to, the file size limits have been around for a very long time, and they have actually gone up, and NOT down... since the beginning.. and the size limits are decided per device. i asked him if i can submit a complaint for it and he said that he could do it on my behalf.. in other words.. no.. probably not going to happen.. so lets find a rom to fix this.. 'cause i aint paying for a $30 data plan if i cant use it

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Keep after the VZW tech department, with sheer numbers we can get a fix going sooner than later!!
Thanks for mailing them !!

**UPDATE: I sent back my second replacement Incredible today as it has the same issue. I was offered a Fascinate for exchange but told the VZW rep to note the account about the offer and I would give them a little time to resolve the software issue first before I dump the Dinc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress