N00b's guide to OMFGB nightly build from Froyo

nuker2guy

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
After a few attempts, I finely got there, and I wanted to share how I did it.

Note: I got all this from XDA, did not make ANY of it myself, and what you do is at your own risk.

First, You should read this, in case you get stuck ***READ THIS!!!!!!*** Going from CM7/MIUI/OMFGB to another rom/Unbricking your device

Before doing anything, you should do some backups. I like titanium backup for my apps, and my root backup for pictures, sms threads, that kind of stuff. So you can choose whichever, in my opinion titanium backup pro is fantastic and worth the money. After you do those backups (which are just in case) you need to do a nandroid backup. In order to do that, you need cwm recovery. To learn how to get cwm recovery, go here. Once you do, go into it by powering down your phone, and then press the power button and the volume up and volume down at the same time, and hold it until you see the samsung image. You should see some red letters. Using the volume up and down (volume rockers), scroll to backup and restore. Select backup using the power button, and make a backup.

When you restore after doing the following, I suggest going into cwm recovery, and go to advanced restore, then restore data. It is the fastest and I think the best way.

Next, there are some things to download, if you haven't already
ED05 Modem: ED05 Modem
CWM Recovery: CWM Recovery for CM7 (.tar)
CM7 ROM: CyanogenMod7
GAPPS: GAPPS Although I got them from God Mode, an app inside OMFGB
OMFGB ROM: OMFGB nightly builds Pick the latest one
Kernel:
There are a couple but Glitch works well for me. High leakage runs the fastest, but looses battery the fastest, and should work on all phones. Medium leakage seems to run a bit slower, and have a longer battery life, and should work on most fascinates. Low leakage seems to run slower, and have a longer battery life, but most fascinates need medium or high.
High Leakage
Medium Leakage
Low Leakage

You need to copy the two roms, the kernel, and gapps to your sd card

The way I did it:
First, do a data wipe, all that good stuff.
Then use Odin to get the modem on (If you don't know how to use odin, I suggest reading this post, but use the files here, not the one they use. You will also need the samsung drivers to use odin, found in this post, a few lines down
Then use odin to install the CWM for CM7 (it's the blue one now)
Reboot your phone into recovery (press the power button and the volume up and volume down at the same time, and hold it until you see the samsung image)
Using the volume rockers (buttons), scroll to install zip from sdcard, then choose it with the power button
then go to choose zip from sdcard
then scroll to update-cm-7.1.0-Fascinate-KANG-0717-signed.zip, and choose it
It will install, then go back to the blue cwm.
Next, do the same for the GAPPS you downloaded
At this time, you need to reboot your phone, so that CM7 can correctly boot up.
Once you do, you will no longer be holding the three buttons to get into recovery (the blue cwm)
You will either use the adb way (I don't know how), or you will choose reboot from the power screen, then recovery.
Once you are back into recovery, you need to flash the glitch kernel and the OMFGB rom. Once you do, reboot, and I think you are good to go. If you are missing apps like market, then you need to flash gapps again.

Current problems I have :( I can't use *228 1 and 2, I had to activate my phone from a different rom. You might also have to flash the OMGB rom first, I'm looking into it.

Other stuff you might want:
Themed swype

Be sure to thank the devs, they are the ones who do the great work! I'm not sure where all the credit goes, but a lot of people deserve it.

Last edited:

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about that yes I'm getting this message and got it as soon as I unlocked my phone and if I hit force close it will keep coming up and one more thing my wifi is not working I go into setting to try to turn it on and it says error. Can someone help me fix this problem?

Thanks

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would flash this......update-cm-7.1.0-Fascinate-KANG-0724-signed.zip Thats imnuts latest CM7 and im on it works good for me.....If already on cm7 or one of the like than wipe cache and dalvik, if coming from TW rom wipe big 3. Happy flashing

I'm still having problems with my wifi turning off and on and also the icons for wifi turn white when it turns off and blue when its on. is there anyway to fix this ?

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez