just a new user trying too learn cool stuff to do with my new phone in root...

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
main reason for rooting is to teather. i have a samsung facinate and im sure that there are alot of other cool stuff i can do....let me know im a newbie tech tech junkie

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
How about getting rid of all the bloat? I'm not rooted and have the "other" stuff filed but i would like to get rid of it
Also, adding certain apps that you can't get otherwise, i.e screenshots. I also see a lot of people getting better battery and speed by under/over clocking. Really, I don't feel like keeping someone up past two in the morning because I jacked my phone up. I need to feel real comfortable about something before i dive into it.

Last edited:

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
How about getting rid of all the bloat? I'm not rooted and have the "other" stuff filed but i would like to get rid of it
Also, adding certain apps that you can't get otherwise, i.e screenshots. I also see a lot of people getting better battery and speed by under/over clocking. Really, I don't feel like keeping someone up past two in the morning because I jacked my phone up. I need to feel real comfortable about something before i dive into it.
I was a complete novice about 6 weeks ago and I didn't even want to root my phone because I was afraid I'd screw it up. Then finally I rooted it so I could install Froyo before the offical Verizon update. The rooting itself is really simple if you follow the instructions, and you'll only have to do it once. I also recommend initially sticking to the ODIN method for installing new stuff on your phone. Stay away initially from things like "flash using CWM", "Voodoo", themes, and separate ROMS & Kernels.

Just go with one of the ODIN packages (our Community ROM will be on ODIN soon thanks to Landshark). Think of ODIN as the wading pool for budding phone hacking enthusiasts. Just follow the directions in DroidXcon's ODIN sticky on what ODIN is & does.. get ODIN and the drivers installed on your computer (only have to do that once as well) and then you can install new ODIN stuff very easily. The great thing about ODIN is that it installs the whole package for you with one install and you don't to worry about the different moving parts.

You will have to wipe your data one time (I'm pretty sure... I did), but you can easily reinstall everything from backup and then for most future improvements you should not have wipe it again.

Getting started can be intimidating because there are so many acronyms and strange words that you have to learn about, but once you get into it and spend some time reading it all becomes clear in time.

This site is truly awesome and there are so many helpful people. I haven't bricked or screwed up my phone at all.. I followed the instructions to the letter and everything works fine. I strongly encourage you to head into the wading pool
and give it a try!

Then later on you can learn about CWM, Voodoo, and mixing and matching themes, ROMS, kernels, etc.

Reactions: adammcgovern

SEAKevin

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, i'm tetering on the edge. thanks for the write up
My pleasure.. I went from being scared of everything to flashing like a madman! I just flashed a theme I didn't like and had to flash back to the community ROM package. Every day there's something new and fun to try out.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: just a new user trying too learn cool stuff to do with my new

You guys are frinking great...I haven't been back too this post sence I put it up. I've have been all around the flashosphere with my fassy bricked it for two days... what ever.... got on here and got it right.....I'm currently trapped in my first bootloop. But I'm thurally unconcerned. Glad that I don't have too answer my girlfriends calls ......lol. I know ill fix it. And I know if I need help AC is here for me ageain thanks too all