Indoor Fascinate GPS testing (via Google Maps)- not good

doctorPDA

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
From my ~ 2 hours of in store testing (see below), I couldn't get the Fascinate to get me more than within 1500 meters accuracy on Google Maps. I love screen and the form factor, but I won't be getting the phone until this issue is fixed. I don't understand how some are getting a lock on the Fascinate; perhaps it has to do with being outside? The Fascinate may not be working well enough to get a lock indoors in a store, but maybe works well enough outdoors???

Methods:
I tested the Droid Incredible, Droid 2, Droid X, and Fascinate. I made sure that all of the ?location settings? were on for each phone. I opened up Google Maps on each phone. I used the sample phones that were about 6 feet from the front of the store (front of store was all glass, and facing the sky). Note: I did not download or do any tests with the GPS test.

Results on Google Maps:
1) Droid Incredible: after about 10 minutes, I was able to get my location to within 7-10 meters.
2) Droid 2: after about 10 minutes, I was able to get my location to within 50 meters. It did not do better than 50 meters, even after 1 hour.
3) Droid X: after about 10 minutes, I was able to get my location to within 100 meters. It did not do better than 100 meters, even after 1 hour.
4) Fascinate: I could only get my location to within 1500 meters accuracy. This was despite trying for about 1 ? hours. I also tried a 2nd Fascinate and also could only get to within 1500 meters.
5) My HTC Touch Diamond: it took a soft reset, but I was able to get my location to within 20 meters.

Conclusions:
Indoors, about 6 feet from a view of the sky, the Droid Incredible was the most accurate. Droid 2 was 2nd, but not great at only 50 meters. Droid X was 3rd. Fascinate GPS doesn't seem to do well at all, at least indoors. It seems some are getting a good location fix outdoors. Look forward to additional testing outdoors by comparing with other Verizon smartphones, but it seems there is an issue with the strength of the GPS on this device.

Thanks.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to have a GPS that works well indoors ... basically because the satellites are "outside".

I have a Garmin Nuvi, Garmin Zumo.... they both fail indoors.

The DI, D2 DX took 10 minutes to get your location indoors. How can that be useful?

Ivisi

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Look, if you're gonna be traveling around, you're gonna eventually be outdoors. Get a lock and some accuracy then.

What in the world could you be doing *indoors* where you need a GPS to know where you are within 10 feet? At most, you're gonna be looking for places you are wanting to go *to*, and several hundred meters on an indoors signal is just fine to put you in the area where you want to look.

I honestly can't figure out why this is a big deal. It works "ok" indoors and works "great" outdoors. My Magellan dedicated GPS unit works exactly the same.

kadinldg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I was at a Verizon store today, to check out both the Fascinate and Droid X. GPS was one of the first things I tested. Both of them locked on within in seconds inside the store and both had the phones pegged at the same location on the map within a distance of about 10 meters or less. I was very pleased to see this after reading about all the issues with GPS on the other Samsung Galaxy S variants.

doctorPDA

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to have a GPS that works well indoors ... basically because the satellites are "outside".

I have a Garmin Nuvi, Garmin Zumo.... they both fail indoors.

The DI, D2 DX took 10 minutes to get your location indoors. How can that be useful?

Technically, I tested the devices "indoors", but they were next to the window of the store with a view of the sky. The devices should be able to capture the satellites. I'm not talking indoor, as in the basement of a building, nobody can or would want to use a GPS device there.

It's the best I could do without owning all of the phones and carrying them out of the store. Clearly there is an issue with accuracy of the GPS, at least it's being reported by a lot of people. I'm sure someone will do some formal testing in their car.

polecat13

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
My GPS works.

This is my first post and the Fascinate is my first Android (coming from the BB Storm) and I just got back from the store.

I was concerned about the GPS and tried to test it in the store. The demo model wasn't set up for the 3g or wifi network so I couldn't really test it there. The rep let me use his and only had Google Maps installed and it only gave me an approximate location (30m).

Walking out of the store I still wasn't sure how good or bad the GPS was so the first thing I did was install Google Maps and that GPS tester "DontHatetheGeek" used in his video. It took about 2 minutes to locate everything but when it did, it was dead on. GPS Test used 8 of 10 satellites and the accuracy was less than 10 feet. It tracked me well all the way home.

This screen shot is at home surrounded by electronics and about 8 feet from a window. As I type, my accuracy is 5.7 feet using 9 satellites. All of which is much better than the Storm. I can officially say my GPS is working.

fascinate_gps.jpg

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Mine pegged me a few blocks away at first. Not sure what changed, but when I checked it an hour or so later, it picked me up precisely where I live. Maybe it was having a hard time indoors while it was storming, cause that's the only thing that really changed...it stopped raining and cleared up.

mickey jones

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I was at a Verizon company store and loaded GPS Test on 2 Incredibles, 1 DX and 2 Fascinates. Both Fascinates had trouble (2 sats or less) but all the other devices found 8-9 sats with good signals.

I really wanted to get this phone but it seems there is still an issue at least for some. If there is no problem, I don't understand why other phones get such strong signals under the same circumstances. I hope Samsung comes out with their GPS "optimization" soon.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
My experience is far more positive. I used it in my car and the gps locked on instantaneously, the location was spot on and the navigation was flawless. But that is just my first day experience. May be I will discover some problems in future ....or not, hopefully.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
After my experience with the Vibrant and the Epic, I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when GPS worked perfectly of this phone. As for standing by a window/being indoors, that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get a lock from orbital satellites. I would go outside that glass and see if it makes any difference. I'm betting you would get a lock.

mickey jones

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't understand why another manufactures phones would have very strong signals within a foot or two of the Fascinates.

Just for reference, here is a street view of my Verizon store:

Hartsdale, NY - Google Maps

LOL. I did not take it outside as they seem to discourage that kind of thing but nothing around it but space with huge glass windows. If the signal is affected by this, I would expect rain, snow and cloud cover to be a big issue.

For those getting good signals, I hope it's an issue with individual phones and that you guys continue to get good signals. I know I don't want to start swapping phones with V until I get a good one.

Maybe it's just as well as that HTC we got a glimpse of seemed sweet. I really need to retire this Moto Q9 (stop laughing).

geocomp

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I know this is has already been stated but I have to agree with everyone who has the Fasciante GPS working outdoors. I used mine immediate when I got it yesterday, after downloading Google Maps from the market. Google Maps pegged me while in stood at the bus stop waiting for my daughter. At first it took a few minutes to zero in on me but every Garmin I have ever owned has done the same thing when first turned on if it hasn't been used in a while.

The navigation works really well also. I found the address of where I wanted to go within my contacts and Google navigation created me a route. The Fascinate could easily replace my Garmin GPS.

I would like to change the Car Dock app to use the Google Maps and Navigation if anybody knows how to do this. Once this has been figured out I will probably purchase the Car accessory.

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have to definately agree with everyone so far. I have tried my GPS in my office, and it got me NOWHERE near where i was. Almost 1 town over. However, i step outside, reload the map and it pretty much pinpointed directly where i was standing, off by maybe a few meters if that. I was only about 40feet away from where I was before and that distance made a huge difference. Also, the day I got my phone i used the GPS for everything to even go down to the turkey hill on the corner and it was pretty dead on with everything down to the meter with turn by turn directions. I would stronly advise those who are waiting becuase they do not get good signal indoors, buy it, actually test it outside and you will be amazed at the result difference i bet.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to definately agree with everyone so far. I have tried my GPS in my office, and it got me NOWHERE near where i was. Almost 1 town over. However, i step outside, reload the map and it pretty much pinpointed directly where i was standing, off by maybe a few meters if that. I was only about 40feet away from where I was before and that distance made a huge difference. Also, the day I got my phone i used the GPS for everything to even go down to the turkey hill on the corner and it was pretty dead on with everything down to the meter with turn by turn directions. I would stronly advise those who are waiting becuase they do not get good signal indoors, buy it, actually test it outside and you will be amazed at the result difference i bet.

This has been my experience almost exactly.

Allan

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Got my fascinate a few days ago, kinda got worried about my GPS after reading about it not working and having no luck when i tried it (inside only).

So i just went outside and tried it , got 9 in view and 5 in use satellites after about 2 min. Pinpointed me spot on. So it indeed works well, just not inside, or even near a window.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
LOL. I did not take it outside as they seem to discourage that kind of thing but nothing around it but space with huge glass windows. If the signal is affected by this, I would expect rain, snow and cloud cover to be a big issue.

This is the scary thing right now; if it's a matter of the reception being significantly weaker compared to other typical phones, what will the signal loss threshold be if you are holding a Fascinate vs. some other phone? Trees? Tall buildings? Rain? Why would you ever accept that this new "flagship" phone just doesn't work as well as older ones? From all the stories coming in, it sounds like a GPS antenna issue. No ones performance is quite the same, with some saying indoors is great and others saying outdoors is still spotty. Maybe Samsung can correct this with better GPS code but maybe it's a design flaw...

For now it's hard to justify taking the leap on this phone knowing GPS problems still abound. When is MR1 getting here?

StonewallUSMC

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
My GPS works.

This is my first post and the Fascinate is my first Android (coming from the BB Storm) and I just got back from the store.

I was concerned about the GPS and tried to test it in the store. The demo model wasn't set up for the 3g or wifi network so I couldn't really test it there. The rep let me use his and only had Google Maps installed and it only gave me an approximate location (30m).

Walking out of the store I still wasn't sure how good or bad the GPS was so the first thing I did was install Google Maps and that GPS tester "DontHatetheGeek" used in his video. It took about 2 minutes to locate everything but when it did, it was dead on. GPS Test used 8 of 10 satellites and the accuracy was less than 10 feet. It tracked me well all the way home.

This screen shot is at home surrounded by electronics and about 8 feet from a window. As I type, my accuracy is 5.7 feet using 9 satellites. All of which is much better than the Storm. I can officially say my GPS is working.

fascinate_gps.jpg

Would love to hear more on your overall experience PoleCat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty