Netflix on android works - not on fascinate yet - devs?

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Who can figure out how to trick netflix into thinking, my fascinate is an incredible or nexus s? I have the app from the last leak. Still doesn't work but throws different error. We are getting closer!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There's a hack posted over at XDA for this. It doesn't say anything about working for the fascinate though.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried the build.prop edit that was mentioned above - apparently works on Nook and Optimus V, but did not work for me or apparently others. Gonna tinker with this for a bit longer, but not looking hopeful right now with my limited know how

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Made one more attempt at the build.prop and changed all references to sch-i500, froyo, and 2.2.1 to Nexus S, gingerbread, samsung and 2.3.1 - still no luck

There are a few lines in the build that identify the processor - I wonder if I need to change this and if changing it would hurt anything else in my device

If anyone on here has a nexus S or other device with working Netflix could you either up you whole build.prop or just copy the text and and past it in here? Thanks

/system/build.prop is the location

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd say wait it out. We don't have to wait for Verizon or Samsung for this, just Netflix and how fast they can pop it out for us. Might as well wait for a proper release. Unless....you know, one of the devs round here/xda decide to do it really soon. :)

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
wait it out? boo. I am not a forum lurker because I like to wait things out. It is very possible that we may not figure this out, but it is worth a shot. There is also a good chance that it will not ever come out on this device - let's hope it does, but if it doesn't I hope that the tinkerers that are smarter than me work this out. Love my Netflix and have been jealous of my son's freaking ipod touch for Netflix support for too long.

Whether it works or not the attempt is fun.

russwikoff

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
netflix

well... now that there is a working netflix app out on the market (just not for our phone... surprise surprise...) I know there are a few hacks out at xda... but is there a reliable one that works for us??? the one i have lets me access my cue... but i get an error whenever i try to stream... and i wanna watch my sons of anarchy damnit... thx guys!

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Tried lots of wierd edits to the build.prop to no avail - this one is above my head (which doesn't take much) - I will keep tinkering and keep looking around the interwebs and will update this thread if I find anything - anyone else have some progress on this?

I know that there is some question as to how to do this and it is being said that it has to do with DRM controls on the chipset itself, but the android communityhas worked around this type of thing before - hopefully it happens again.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No, he said he didn't know. I asked if it was something in the next month or next year and he said more like a month or so.

Did you happen to ask somebody higher up, or just a low-level employee? Wonder how hard it would be to get hold of somebody in the Software Development department. Wonder if they are working with Samsung/our chip provider, or just trying to figure everything out by themselves.. If it really is a DRM issue, then that might require an update from VZW, kind of have to have root/su capabilities to fix DRM issues.

skategeezer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
With both of the CM7 roms I was able to stream with audio only using the device check disabled apk. Just need those video codecs for it to work I hope. Also I did install 10.3 as well no joy. But maybe it will work sooner if netflix gets things in gear first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty