[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Would someone be kind enough to post a detailed guide on how to do this in Linux?

There is a fastboot-linux you can find on the web. I worked out that you have to run that as root otherwise you just get "waiting for device". I haven't yet looked into the rest of the procedure.

Reactions: ohiomoto

cancerousbull

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

hi, im having a problem unlocking. when i m in the cmd prompt i keep getting "path not recgonized" or "there is no internal or external program" something like that. is this a driver issue?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

There is a fastboot-linux you can find on the web. I worked out that you have to run that as root otherwise you just get "waiting for device". I haven't yet looked into the rest of the procedure.
Thanks, I ended up using windows, but that is exactly what happened to me in Linux. I didn't try to run the command with root privileges or sudo them. I didn't want to take any chances when the Windows guide was well tested.

Maybe I'll try it again if I loose root with the next OTA update. Should be even easier than in Windows. I figured it should look like a the guide for the mac. Funny how there is so many guides for Mac and Windows but not Linux when the OS is built on Linux.

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

For the benefit of any others using Linux:

Same thing, I ran:

sudo ./install-superboot-linux.sh

Install reported "OKAY" instantly. Then, as others have reported for Verizon LTE, it hung on Google lock screen. I let it sit for 10 minutes, disconnected USB and let it sit for 10 minutes (some have reported that this got it booting), then removed the battery, waited 30 seconds, installed the battery, held down the power button until it vibrated, then it went kaleidoscope and eventually said "Android is upgrading" and all was well after that.

Reactions: ohiomoto
Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Stupid question... I want to root my GNEX... I have had it since the day it came out and already loaded with a lot of crap.. is their a good way to back it up first before I unlock my bootloader... and if I do unlock and root the phone will I still be getting all the OTA updates? I don't really want to change the rom I like ICS... would just like to install apps using the .apk file and wireless tether.

MikeG7265

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site

Thanks so much.....i am now rooted and unlocked.....took a little doing getting the drivers updated, but finally got it to take successfully!! :)

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

I am already unlocked via the ADB method, but I am not rooted. Where do I begin in order to root? Will rooting an unlocked phone wipe my installed programs?

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys new to the forums and just bought a galaxy nexus. Im having problems installing the samsung drivers for some reason. I get the "software was not successfully installed" message. I even went ahead and dl'd the drivers from the samsung site and still get that message. I also went to my device manager and nothing i do works. I would really hate to not be able to root my phone because of some stupid driver issue. Can anyone help?

Edit: nvm i had to damn near beat my computer to death before those dam samsung drivers would finally install correctly and now i am rooted and unlocked :)

Last edited:

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I did not see anyone have this issue but after clicking the .bat file to install superuser my phone just sat at the Google screen. I could not power it off with the power button USB plugged in or not. Let it sit for 30min and still nothing. Was afraid but did a battery pull and it booted with Superuser working just fine. Just FYI

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Worked beautifully, thanks! I hate not having Titanium Back up and Root Explorer working, now I'm happy w/this phone :)

Jason-Droid

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Mine was sitting at the google screen for a serious 15 minutes. I pulled the battery, booted up just fine and super user is working correctly. Installed Rom Manager and flashed Clockwork. Idk why you guys are getting boot loops. Maybe I got lucky?? Idk 15 minutes should be more than enough time to load the system images back up. To fix the soft boot wouldn't you just go to the stock recovery and delete data/factory reset?? I mean that's what I would do...

Yeah same here waited 15-20mins, I thought the phone was dead at first. Pulled the battery and it booted up fine. SU is installed and working. I just tested with WiFi 3.1-9, laptop connects and hits the Internet with no problem.

neverhappy

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

So I have never owned a android phone. The Galaxy nexus is my first. I read the initial instructions, but it seems allot of people have stumbled through this process. Based upon what everyone has learned so far, are the original instructions complete or could additional content be added to help us newbies keep from making the same mistakes? Nice write up by the way. I just want to do it once, the right way and try to avoid a weekend of locking myself in a room and swearing.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

the guide is up to date. You should not run into any problems, just follow the instructions. There is also a troubleshooting area at the end of the guide.

Reactions: SuperChargedJ

jackdw

May 23, 2011
Visit site

All guides for unrooting that I've found assume you've used the manual method of rooting. Is there an easy way to unroot after using Superboot, or would I have to set up the SDK and use all of the manual commands?

Rennat

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

Am I the only one who knows you can't install .exe on a Mac? There are only Windows drivers available for the Galaxy Nexus....

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

This was so easy to do! Thanks for the write up. Phone is currently rebooting right now! It was only on the Google splash screen for about 3 minutes. Setting my badboy up now!

Rennat

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

So where is the other superboot file that will permanently root the device? The one that the video said it would recommend if you entend on installing ROMs like me?

Nevermind, I got everything done. Got my old PC out and followed the tutorial over at XDA. Thanks!

Last edited: