[Q] Clockworkmod recovery not recovering PLEASE HELP!!

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (rooted stock 4.0.4). I decided I would test out Clockworkmod touch recovery before doing anything too serious with it. So, I made a backup, rebooted, deleted an app, went back to recovery, and restored my backup. But, while it was restoring my data, it suddenly stopped and said "Error while restoring /data!" I rebooted and, after waiting through a really long boot, it booted into a semi-reset version of my phone. All of the apps claim to be installed but will not start.
So, thinking it could be a touch recovery issue, I flashed an older version of Clockworkmod recovery and tried restoring after clearing my data, cache, factory reset, and Dalvik cache. Still, the exact same thing happened. I also tried restoring older backups, but the exact same thing happened.

What is going on, and what should I do? Thank you for your time.

Please, I really am desperate.:(:'(

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (rooted stock 4.0.4). I decided I would test out Clockworkmod touch recovery before doing anything too serious with it. So, I made a backup, rebooted, deleted an app, went back to recovery, and restored my backup. But, while it was restoring my data, it suddenly stopped and said "Error while restoring /data!" I rebooted and, after waiting through a really long boot, it booted into a semi-reset version of my phone. All of the apps claim to be installed but will not start.
So, thinking it could be a touch recovery issue, I flashed an older version of Clockworkmod recovery and tried restoring after clearing my data, cache, factory reset, and Dalvik cache. Still, the exact same thing happened. I also tried restoring older backups, but the exact same thing happened.

What old version did u flash?

I would try flashing the regular non touch version of 5.04 or whatever the latest is (something like that), then boot to recovery.

From there , u might want to clear cache and dalvik just in case, and then try to restore the backup you were trying to restore. Sometimes a backup made with one version of recovery won't restore with an older version.

If that doesn't work, do you have other Android backups? Bc its possible that backup was corrupted.

If that is the case, I would try booting into recovery, wuoe data, cache, dalvik, and format system, and just flash a rom clean.

And if that doesn't work, I would restore to stock with the stock images.

Pls let us know more abt what u did, and if u try any of these things and how they go. Gl

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I went back to the non-touch, latest stable, recommended cwm recovery (5.5.0.4), and the same thing happened (even after clearing everything before restoring. And, as I said I tried my older backups (which, I should note, I have actually never attempted to restore to before) in the same manner, and the exact same thing happened. Goodness, my phone just obviously hates me. I flashed 4.0.2, unrooted, rerooted, flashed cwm recovery, tried again- same error. I never got an error while making any of my backups, either.

Some of the backups were mad on touch, and some on non-touch, but none work in either version.

So, I restored my latest backup, got the same error, then cleared the data, was trying to just redownload all the apps, but Google Play is now giving me a -101 error. So, I'll probably have to flash back to stock 4.0.4, unroot, reroot, flash 4.0.4, reroot, and never touch any hacking again. *Sigh* Thanks a lot Clockworkmod Recovery, I hought I could completely rely on you.:'(

If anybody has any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I went back to the non-touch, latest stable, recommended cwm recovery (5.5.0.4), and the same thing happened (even after clearing everything before restoring. And, as I said I tried my older backups (which, I should note, I have actually never attempted to restore to before) in the same manner, and the exact same thing happened. Goodness, my phone just obviously hates me. I flashed 4.0.2, unrooted, rerooted, flashed cwm recovery, tried again- same error. I never got an error while making any of my backups, either.

Some of the backups were mad on touch, and some on non-touch, but none work in either version.

So, I restored my latest backup, got the same error, then cleared the data, was trying to just redownload all the apps, but Google Play is now giving me a -101 error. So, I'll probably have to flash back to stock 4.0.4, unroot, reroot, flash 4.0.4, reroot, and never touch any hacking again. *Sigh* Thanks a lot Clockworkmod Recovery, I hought I could completely rely on you.:'(

If anybody has any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks.

The ultimate fix is to Odin mode back to stock. I have to sleep but u can get directions and the stock images on rootzwiki. This method will unroot and return u to stock boot loader radios and rom. Probably 4.02.

I think boot loader remain s unlocked.

From there you can reroot or leave it alone or whatever.

That will fix your phone tho .

Sounds like something wonky happened with touch cwm. I don't use it, I have the paid version not by koush. Which works perfectly btw.

Anyway, sorry to hear abt it, good luck with Odin, that is the way for ya it looks like.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Wolfsv

May 13, 2011
Visit site

I've had the same issues, has anyone figured out a solution?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Going from one version of recovery to another then restoring an old recovery can cause problems. Not sure of a real good solution for this except to abstain from restoring the old recovery nands.

That said I would guess your fix is going to be to restore to stock 402 or 404 and start over but I haven't looked into this issue in some time so I'm not 100percent.

BTW you can probably use a toolkit to go back to stock relatively pain free if you use a PC.

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Jeez you guys made a mess, lol.... Next time ask questions here before deciding to go delete system things just to see if you can!

You can always fastboot back to stock, See these instructions, however just note they are for 4.0.2, while you can download the 4.0.4 images and use those. When it comes to the fastboot command steps just pay attention and change the name to the corresponding name of the files you've downloaded and unzipped from the 4.0.4 factory image: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...the-bootloader-and-return-to-a-factory-state/

If you're confused, need help, whatever, just hold off and ask here and someone will help you out!

EDIT: As zero suggested, some of those toolkits (such as wug's or the gnex toolkit) will do the return-to-stock for you as well even easier, so you can look at those. I just use fastboot because I hate toolkits :)

Reactions: zero neck
Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to post this a couple months ago (I posted it on xda after I figured it out).

The reason it was not restoring properly was because I had about 350 user apps installed. My guess is that, while restoring, the recovery (CWM recovery in my case) puts the /data onto the RAM, and the RAM is not large enough to hold that much at once. I deleted a lot of apps, backed up in CWM recovery, and restored back to this backup, and everything worked flawlessly. I am surprised that no one has ever had this problem. So, in the future, I am making Titanium backups of all my apps, batch uninstalling a bunch of them from within Titanium (so that I have under 300 at the most), and then making a backup. Then, I can flash a new ROM, recover, or whatever and finally use Titanium to put all my apps and data back. I just thought I would post this in case anyone else ever finds this problem. It was really frustrating for me, but the insufficient RAM theory seems to explain it. Keep the folder size for the entire NANDroid backup at under 2GB, and you should be fine. That's what I do from now on.

So, does that make sense? Keep your backups under 2GB, I guess. I'm sorry you had to go through the pain that I did to figure this out.

Post your thoughts on the matter.

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, it doesn't seem ridiculous to me, honestly. It's my first smartphone, and I just download all the apps I want. I just don't see why I should part with any apps that I might use. Anyway, I hope this is SWolf's issue and that he sees this post.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, it doesn't seem ridiculous to me, honestly. It's my first smartphone, and I just download all the apps I want. I just don't see why I should part with any apps that I might use. Anyway, I hope this is SWolf's issue and that he sees this post.

Just pulling your chain man :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I have about 140 apps and I use about 10 on a regular basis, about 15 others I use occasionally and the rest never see the light of day. Why I don't get rid of some of them is beyond me. It makes the app drawer all nice and giggly with lots of neato icons.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Man, I thought I had a lot when I had 80-90 apps installed. I pared that down to 62 and there are still some I can get rid of. I just don't like having them on my phone if I'm not using them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty