Google Wallet on Verizon Galaxy Nexus

droidrox

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone able to use Google Wallet on Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4G?

If yes, can you please detail the steps you did to achieve that. There are so many apks floating around, so many work arounds, most of them did not work for me.

I am currently running AOKP 4.2.1 ROM. If I need to get on a different ROM, I am open to that

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone able to use Google Wallet on Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4G?

If yes, can you please detail the steps you did to achieve that. There are so many apks floating around, so many work arounds, most of them did not work for me.

I am currently running AOKP 4.2.1 ROM. If I need to get on a different ROM, I am open to that

Im running aokp 4.2.1 build 1,on my nexus
All I did was reset my older wallet from inside the app (open google wallet>settings> reset wallet)
Then from phone > system settings > apps, clean cache>clean data.Then delete old version of wallet
Afterwards download new wallet from this link re set it up good to go ,already have mine reset up.I havent seen a posted apk yet here on AC for the new version so the link below is what I used .:)

[APP] Google Wallet 1.6-R96-v13 - xda-developers

droidrox

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Than you davidnc.

I am running AOKP 4.2.1 ROM and managed to install Wallet from one of the APKs. It did initialize fully and I was able to use it a nearby store. However, it still shows up as "unsupported device." I have read other comments about similar behavior but I am not sure if that is a cause for concern.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Than you davidnc.

I am running AOKP 4.2.1 ROM and managed to install Wallet from one of the APKs. It did initialize fully and I was able to use it a nearby store. However, it still shows up as "unsupported device." I have read other comments about similar behavior but I am not sure if that is a cause for concern.

Your welcome
That "unsupported device" message you saw is normal to see on rooted phones,it shows that on mine as well.
I havent had a problem with it :)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I love the new UI in the most recent update. The app itself is noticably snappier too. No more slight lag entering your pin (OCD...knew it was the app not my device) and it's quicker to load up your cards (as I'm always resetting/deleting/uninstalling and reinstalling due to crackflashing). Been using gWallet since launch day and still love the looks I get from cashier's and other people in line when I "magically" pay with my phone. I'd say that's the "only" reason I use it, which would make it just a cool gimmick, but the other week I realized I left my wallet at home when my "fill up your tank, dumb@ss" light came on about 40 miles from home. gWallet and Wawa (and the mobile paypass app) saved my @ss big time!! This particular Wawa had PAY pass enabled pumps so you can pay on the fly, too. Note it will not work at Mobil SPEED pass pumps. You will look foolish :D

droidrox

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I think I am going to stop using it. Couple of reasons, in decreasing order of priority:

• The payment is made on a virtual card and my card # is not printed on receipt. This may cause problems with returns.
  • Google's customer service is non-existent. If I run in to any trouble, I doubt they will be of help
  • My credit card is paypass enabled, so I have the same level of convenience without the risk. I just tap my wallet on the reader. no swipe. Wallet actually needs me to unlock the phone, open the app and enter pin. I find paypass faster than wallet.
  • pay pass looks just as cool as phone payment :)

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been interested in trying Google Wallet but I haven't found any merchants that use it. Where would I use GW?

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been interested in trying Google Wallet but I haven't found any merchants that use it. Where would I use GW?

There is a pay pass locater in the Play store, it let's you know what merchants use PayPass(anger thus GW) around you but my experience is that WaWa, some Burger Kings, some Mc Donald's, RiteAid and Home Depots take PP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use Wallet at McD's,CVS pharmacy, and Harris-Teeter grocery.I actually have a pre paid debit card linked to my google wallet.I just add funds to my pre paid debit card whenever it gets below $ 20 dollars,I rarely have more then $150.00 dollars on it .
Since I also have that same credit card as a physical plastic card,when I am at places that dont have the reader that is required to use google wallet with I can still access those funds the old fashion way of using the plastic card.
I dont use my regular credit card(s) anywhere anymore

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I think I am going to stop using it. Couple of reasons, in decreasing order of priority:

• The payment is made on a virtual card and my card # is not printed on receipt. This may cause problems with returns.
  • Google's customer service is non-existent. If I run in to any trouble, I doubt they will be of help
  • My credit card is paypass enabled, so I have the same level of convenience without the risk. I just tap my wallet on the reader. no swipe. Wallet actually needs me to unlock the phone, open the app and enter pin. I find paypass faster than wallet.
  • pay pass looks just as cool as phone payment :)

I can't say that I've ever used GW to purchase something I'd consider returning, but I can pull up all the receipts on the web or my phone so I doubt it'd be any problem. Not to mention most times you just scan your card and the funds are returned that way, so I see no problem. Any real issues you'd still contact your credit/debit card company and/or bank anyway. My only experience with gWallet custmer service was prompt and pleasant. Sent me a check for a whopping $12 or so when they removed their prepaid card and I had a balance. Touche that you can touch your wallet and pay, as that's cool, but it's still not as cool as using your phone based on the looks I get paying immediately after someone pays touching their actual card:p Has happened at the caf a few times. Please tell me how you think using the plastic card is more secure? Do you think the information on your card is not also stored on a server somewhere? Any fraudlent purchases would be handled exactly the same way as if you used your plastic card. I feel perfectly safe using gWallet after hundreds or even thousands of transactions, and I've never read of anyone having an issue on the great big internet.

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So far I've used it at CVS/Rite Aid, Mickey D's/BK, Foot Locker,Home Depot, Aramark (office caf), Best Buy, Shoprite/Giant/Wegmans, Sunoco/Wawa, and a bunch of random stores and gas station that comes up on the app as having pay pass terminals. You can look on their website for paypass locations if you don't have or want the app to see what may be near you.

MasterCard PayPass Merchant Locations | MasterCard?

droidrox

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Sure, maybe I am being a bit more cautious. Personally, I find paying using the card lot more convenient at the moment and comes to me with peace of mind. Just a personal preference, thats all.

Also, not a big fan of Google support.