Don't say sealed battery

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
In the age of cloud storage, a removable sd is not very important to me. I keep all my videos, photo and music on the cloud and only take wirh me the things I need in case of a media emergency. If a non removable battery and non removable sd slot mean a slimmer, better design, then I am 100% in.

Come on guys.... cloud storage!!

In regards to the battery, I should just keep one of those nifty external batteries with me. They are less expensive, and usually offer a longer charge time.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Simple math is why...... Phones with SD-Card slots almost invariably hold more total data than phones without....

Even if this phone has 32gb on board (which is on the high side for phones today) it still has at best identical storage to a 16gb phone with a 16gb card stock, and is a full 16gb behind when you upgrade to a 32gb card slot...

Imo, there is no upper limit on how much data you can have on phone.

That's just a perception with removable storage devices but it's not completely true. The phones typically only support up to a certain number of gb cards. The Bionic only supported up to 32gb. So while it may feel like "unlimited" because you can put your own card into the slot, the reality is that it has a ceiling based on what the phone supports anyway.

That said, I still would prefer a removable card (and battery) but probably only because that is what I am used to in my old Droids....

DH could care less and he is a technogeek with an iPhone 4. When his battery started losing charge, they just replaced his phone for him! Katherine

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I believe one of the leaks did confirm a removable battery, although to be honest I expected a sealed battery, given the curve of the phone.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping the battery can be removed for those times when a true battery pull is needed to get things working again.
My Samsung battery is sealed on my tablet, and there are no reset buttons.
There were times when things froze up, and I had no way of getting it back up and running right away.
I tried the combination of the power button and volume keys as the method for reseting. Most times it will work right away, but then there are times it won't.
Thinking I would have to send it in to Samsung for repair, it would start back working as it should after a while.
I'd hate for my phone to have to go through the same ordeal.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping the battery can be removed for those times when a true battery pull is needed to get things working again.
My Samsung battery is sealed on my tablet, and there are no reset buttons.
There were times when things froze up, and I had no way of getting it back up and running right away.
I tried the combination of the power button and volume keys as the method for reseting. Most times it will work right away, but then there are times it won't.
Thinking I would have to send it in to Samsung for repair, it would start back working as it should after a while.
I'd hate for my phone to have to go through the same ordeal.

You do know if you hold the power button that it will reboot, right?

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You do know if you hold the power button that it will reboot, right?

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

I know that, but if the device freezes holding the power button has little to no effect sometimes.
It froze on me today. I finally got it to reboot by holding down the power button, and one of the volume buttons. Couldn't remember which power button, because I was trying a combination of each with the power button.
If you happen to look in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 forum, you may come across posts with users not being able to reboot their device.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Here is something that nobody has mentioned. If the battery is non removable you can actually fit more battery into the phone. If you have ever seen the battery packs for iPhones you will know they are smaller and thinner than an equivalent removable one as they don't need the protective outer shell. What if Samsung has filled all available space in the casing with battery (like in the latest iPhones) that, along with better power management and proper usage of dual cores may mean you don't need a backup battery.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i wonder if that is why it has the tiny little power button on the side of the phone in the renders. a mechanical power button for the battery pull situations. i can almost guarantee you that isnt the power button for turning the screen on and off.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i wonder if that is why it has the tiny little power button on the side of the phone in the renders. a mechanical power button for the battery pull situations. i can almost guarantee you that isnt the power button for turning the screen on and off.

I don't think it's a button. Its a power symbol next to the power button.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah, you might be right. its hard to tell if it is a button or symbol. also, after looking again at the phone renderings, ill tell you i wouldnt mind having that baby sealed! i think the fit and finish would benefit greatly from this. obviously i say this with under the preface that it had a great battery in it.

sblantipodi

Banned
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Here is something that nobody has mentioned. If the battery is non removable you can actually fit more battery into the phone. If you have ever seen the battery packs for iPhones you will know they are smaller and thinner than an equivalent removable one as they don't need the protective outer shell. What if Samsung has filled all available space in the casing with battery (like in the latest iPhones) that, along with better power management and proper usage of dual cores may mean you don't need a backup battery.

do you ever seen an iphone lasting until evening with a normal/heavy use?
so what's the point?

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What if Samsung has filled all available space in the casing with battery (like in the latest iPhones) that, along with better power management and proper usage of dual cores may mean you don't need a backup battery.

Troll thread??

This is a legitamate concern. I'm a travel type and having spare batteries is pretty crucial to be able to tether for work and entertain myself for long periods.... and still be able to call your ride or the office when I reach my destination. An outlet is not always available folks.

**and i was so freaking hype until I read this gotcha**

sblantipodi

Banned
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Troll thread??

This is a legitamate concern. I'm a travel type and having spare batteries is pretty crucial to be able to tether for work and entertain myself for long periods.... and still be able to call your ride or the office when I reach my destination. An outlet is not always available folks.

There are external portable power but they are:
- more expensive than an additional battery
- way more bulky
- only expensive/big one will give your phone a complete charge
- do you imagine if you need to make a call when the phone is charging with the portable power of if you need to shot a photo?

Waiting three days, if it will be sealed, I will skip this nexus.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the lack of a sealed battery is most over-hyped and tired arguments there is. Certainly valid a few years ago.

There is a reason LTE phones have: a) pitiful battery life b) turn into bricks when used with an extended battery (I will say the Bionic's ext battery is not that bad). You can put more battery into a phone that has a sealed battery than one that needs a frame to hold a replaceable one.

@sblantipodi

I got a New Trent Super-pack IMP500 5000mAh External Battery pack from Amazon in 2010 for 41.95 (no tax).

It wasn't that expensive, not that big, and worked well when I needed.

Additional bonus... I could use it with my other electronics if needed.

Last edited:

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the lack of a sealed battery is most over-hyped and tired arguments there is. Certainly valid a few years ago.

There is a reason LTE phones have: a) pitiful battery life b) turn into bricks when used with an extended battery (I will say the Bionic's ext battery is not that bad). You can put more battery into a phone that has a sealed battery than one that needs a frame to hold a replaceable one.

@sblantipodi

I got a New Trent Super-pack IMP500 5000mAh External Battery pack from Amazon in 2010 for 41.95 (no tax).

It wasn't that expensive, not that big, and worked well when I needed.

Additional bonus... I could use it with my other electronics if needed.

With heavy use a phone without a replaceable battery will eventually need to be plugged into something. Either a device like you mentioned or the wall. With spare batteries your down for a minute and off with a full tank. No ropes or anchors. For some people this luxury is a must!

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what the average life-cycle for an Iphone battery and how much it normally costs to replace?

I'm asking because I know phones can become dated and it's unrealistic for most to keep the same phone for years unless you are really only looking to call or text, but I still like the idea that my old phones may still be useful in a few years as MP3 players, mini-wifi tablets, and even backup phones.

I am assuming that any device with a sealed battery will eventually lose the ability to hold a charge. Is it even worse if that device is only charged on random days when needed and not on a regular basis as a normal smartphone would be.

Does anyone know of anybody using the original an original Iphone that is still going strong? They sell them on Ebay, so I am assuming the sealed batteries may have a long life, but nothing lasts forever.

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Troll thread??

You mentioned tethering, why not usb tether? I don't think I ever tether without plugging in except for maybe very short periods.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
usb tether generally requires drivers or software installed on the device that needs the internet connection and this is not always possible.

This is very true. One time I went on a trip, and PDANet updated their client software the day before and I didn't know it, and my laptop was useless the entire trip. I needed a connection to download the new update and I couldn't tether to get one.

Brandon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty