Loading Apps Without Mass Storage

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I just read online that you can't use the nexus as a mass storage device. My question is does that mean if you have a apk. file and you want to load it on my phone is it still possible and how you can. I have a few apps that are not in the market and want to be able to load them on the phone.

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You have to use MTP or PTP. If you're on Windows 7, you're good. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll come out with a helper app just like the Xoom for Mac users. And there will be a folder on the device which gets treated just like an SD card, from my understanding.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You have to use MTP or PTP. If you're on Windows 7, you're good. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll come out with a helper app just like the Xoom for Mac users. And there will be a folder on the device which gets treated just like an SD card, from my understanding.

If you have the latest Windows Media Player, you're good.
Mac, Lion + android.com/filetransfer works good for me (honeycomb tablet).

Reactions: mechapathy

daitsuwamono

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Run an Apache HTTP server on a PC networked with a WiFi-capable router. Use the phone's WiFi connection to transfer the files over LAN. It's free if you've already got the router and the PC (Windows, Linux, Mac, doesn't matter), along with universal compatibility with any device that supports HTTP transfers of arbitrary file types.

You can also use the GN's USB On-the-Go host capability and a Micro-B-to-Type-A adapter to connect a USB mass storage device to the GN. The GN may not support accessing the internal memory as USB mass storage, but it can host other mass storage devices.

stanfna#AC

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
just use dropbox. I put the .apk in a folder on my PC that is linked to dropbox, open the folder on my Droid, download the file and install.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly its like Honeycomb. You can transfer a file (apk) from a computer to the device then install the app, or move movie music whatever files. It just doesn't support USB mass storage, so you cant plug in a thumb drive for example and transfer files from the nexus to the storage device.

With Honeycomb I can freely move files using a computer quickly and easily. But if I plug in a storage device the tablet will power it but I can't find the storage device in file exploring programs on the tablet like Astro.

And even though that's not that annoying to me rooting can fix this.

I hope I understood the original question properly.

kjsmommy10

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So another question along these lines, I like to have custom ringtones & I know currently on my Incredible I have them on the sd card under a ringtone folder, but I also added them to the notifications folder as well that way any thing I want a custom tone to, I can have it. Will we still be able to have them on the Nexus?

adambomb6

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I got wifi file explorer as a free app from amazon and I've found that now I NEVER plug in for file transfer now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I just read online that you can't use the nexus as a mass storage device. My question is does that mean if you have a apk. file and you want to load it on my phone is it still possible and how you can. I have a few apps that are not in the market and want to be able to load them on the phone.

The simplest way is to email the .APK file to yourself and open it within email.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch