Battery life for "normal" user

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I posted the question in the Razr forum, and would like to know what the Nexus group thinks. I have a DX2 right now (coming from a 4S and BB, I switch phones a lot), and I unplug from the charger at 8:00AM. When I go to bed, I'm at 60-70%. I make a few calls a day, light texting and some web browsing. Also do lots of score checking with the ESPN ScoreCenter app now that the NBA playoffs are going on.

Anyway, can I expect something close to that with the Nexus? I'm torn between the Razr, Rezound and Nexus. I've had a Fascinate and that's what is keeping me away from the Nexus right now.

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing compares to the battery of a BlackBerry. The iPhone uses much less battery simply due to its tiny screen.

Certainly don't expect 60-70% battery remaining after a full days use.

SO many variables account for battery life on the Nexus, so it's hard to tell you. But in the usage you described, I would project about 12 hours of battery life for you in a day.

I only get about 8 max, but I am a very heavy user at work. My screen is on nearly all day long.

If you're into rooting/roms - I hear there is some great stuff out there to help out with battery life. I'm one official update away from rooting mine - can't wait.

All in all - this phone is so powerful, and so useful, you'll likely use it more than you would a BB or an iPhone - and therefore you shouldn't expect as good of battery life.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on when you go to bed. For me, I get up at 9am and with light/moderate use (about 2-4 hours screen-on time) I can make it till midnight with juice to spare (30-40%). The Fassy should not keep you from this device. IMO the two don't even compare. Ymmv

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Fascinate and that's what is keeping me away from the Nexus right now.

Not sure why a fascinate would have a bearing on your phone choice. I had one and it was an OK phone. Would you elaborate? In my eyes Samsung can do no wrong. (fanboy)

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Fassy to the GNex. The GNex never lasted me all day like the Fassy did until I got the extended battery (the 2100.) Now it lasts about the same as my old phone. There's no other comparison between the phones. With ICS and the killer hardware the GNex is great. And I don't have to pull the battery every day like I did with the Fassy.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm a medium user, work 9-6 and when I get home I usually charge cause i'm on the phone.

Otherwise i'd say I get 10-12 hours with light use, 3 hours screen time.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on when you go to bed. For me, I get up at 9am and with light/moderate use (about 2-4 hours screen-on time) I can make it till midnight with juice to spare (30-40%). The Fassy should not keep you from this device. IMO the two don't even compare. Ymmv

Exactly the same for me! 9am to midnight or 1am every day is no problem with moderate use, which includes me playing Tiny Tower a lot (sink on the battery due to the active display), making a number of phone calls and checking emails, etc.... It also includes me keeping bluetooth and wireless on the whole day. If I want to be super efficient, I may turn off the BT to give myself more battery...

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. My bed time is normally 12:00 or 1:00 AM, so it sounds like I will be ok. I went to swap out my 4S for it, but I needed my best buy silver card because I'm at 38 days. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

@mr, wizard, I got the fascinate he day it was released. I wasn't so upset bt the whole Bing thing, it was just issues with the phone. And then waiting, and waiting, and waiting for updates. I still use the phone, but only as a test device.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
@mr, wizard, I got the fascinate he day it was released. I wasn't so upset bt the whole Bing thing, it was just issues with the phone. And then waiting, and waiting, and waiting for updates. I still use the phone, but only as a test device.

I liked the first galaxy phones. Lightweight, nice screen and that hummingbird CPU was good for its time. The one thing I did was put CM on it. Helped a lot, as I am impatient.
The main reason I like the GNex is because its a dev phone. Hacking is what I do. So I'll always get updates when I want.
Not to say, you have to do that. With proper settings adjustments (ex screen brightness, turning data on/off when necessary) you will get decent battery life. And updates will come, imo, more timely than other devices. But hey, take advantage of those 14 days and see what ya think

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wake up at 345am and crash at 11-1130pm (though the work week M-F)my stock battery usually last me tho my awake hours unless im on it for hours at a time ha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2.1.0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty