Random screen sensitivity issue after 4.0.4 update

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
A strange issue has come up on my G-Nex shortly after the update. At random times, my screen sensitivity will almost all but go away, meaning I have to mash the on-screen buttons for them to respond, and really push my finger down hard just to swipe from homescreen to homescreen. This happens with scrolling on websites, in apps, etc. Basically any touch command on the screen is very poor and sometimes doesn't respond at all. Oddly, this is fixed by simply putting the screen to sleep with the power button and then waking it back up. It's then back to normal and responds perfectly fine as it should. I can sometimes go hours before the problem will come back. Other times it comes back within 5 minutes. Has anyone else experienced this?

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
If it matters, I'm running totally stock and use Nova Prime launcher. I doubt the launcher has anything to do with it, though. I've been using it before the update and never had an issue with the screen like this until after the update.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I see this too, but it's only been in the Chrome beta for me, so it could be the app. Not noticing it anywhere else at the moment.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It's clearly a software issue since this never happened before the update. I just wonder how widespread it is. I have done battery pulls and restarts which haven't helped. I guess a factory reset would be a last ditch option but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just to be sure, do you have a screen protector? I haven't seen this behavior yet but then again, I'm on CM9 (which is 4.0.4 based).

If after you've exhausted all options, my first thought would be some sort of running app is causing issues. If you don't have too many apps installed then I would try uninstalling them one by one to see what maybe the culprit.

Otherwise, you may want to try a factory reset to see if that helps.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have never used a screen protector, and I have very few apps installed. I also haven't installed any new apps since the update so I doubt it's an app issue. I suppose there's a chance that one of them might not be playing nicely with the update, though.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This happened to the Optimus S with our Gingerbread update. Ours is kinda the opposite though...there is a problem with our stock kernel that makes the cpu spike and the screen acts like you double tapped when you didn't. Flashing a custom kernel fixes it. Dunno if this will help you guys but I thought I'd let you know :)

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Same here as well. Running stock with nova launcher. I know coding can be quite a challenge, but with all of the prior problems with this phone, I'm on the fence of purchasing the next generation of windows phone... starting to get really fed up with the gnex... sorry for the rant...

Btw. It is a widespread issue. Check xda..

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Same here as well. Running stock with nova launcher. I know coding can be quite a challenge, but with all of the prior problems with this phone, I'm on the fence of purchasing the next generation of windows phone... starting to get really fed up with the gnex... sorry for the rant...

Btw. It is a widespread issue. Check xda..

I have to admit that this phone is starting to get on my nerves too. I favored Moto phones in the past but I couldn't pass up the Nexus from all the pre-launch hype so I was a Day 1 buyer. I'd like to think that a simple update could fix this issue since it seems to be fairly widespread for stock users like myself, but the thought of waiting potentially another 6 months for the next update is depressing. I've overlooked the battery life, reception/signal issues, etc. of this phone and have stuck it out because overall it's a good performer but the upcoming Razr HD is tempting, even at full retail, assuming it lives up to the rumored spec's.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
One member over on XDA indicated that switching from Swiftkey3 keyboard to the stock keyboard corrected the issue. Perhaps that's the app that's misbehaving and causing the screen sensitivity issues. I'm going to give that a shot and report back.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
One member over on XDA indicated that switching from Swiftkey3 keyboard to the stock keyboard corrected the issue. Perhaps that's the app that's misbehaving and causing the screen sensitivity issues. I'm going to give that a shot and report back.

For whatever reason, Swiftkey3 seems to have been the culprit. After using the stock keyboard on my phone for the last hour or more, I haven't had a single screen sensitivity issue. It's been working buttery smooth as it did before the 4.0.4 update. For those with this problem that are using Swiftkey, try the stock keyboard for a while and see if that works for you.

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey there.

Fully stock like everyone else, including the keyboard. Touch sensitivity has been a major issue with .4.... sad but true

We now have a decent dbm in exchange for a screen that needs to be double tapped for a single execution. I as well waited at big red - opening day with great expectations... I have never found a rom that works perfectly. For 600.00 all I want is a phone that works...

well for 600.00 in order to have a semi decent phone i had to install volume+, gps fix delux, and touch screen booster.... all which improve the device, but do not rectify all of the issues at hand....

sorry for neckbearding......

Last edited:

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Well damn...my touchscreen issues are now back. I went a solid 4 hours with the stock keyboard and a perfectly working screen to a screen that will scroll/swipe/tap correctly only after I lock the screen and wake it back up. This is just not acceptable.

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Well damn...my touchscreen issues are now back. I went a solid 4 hours with the stock keyboard and a perfectly working screen to a screen that will scroll/swipe/tap correctly only after I lock the screen and wake it back up. This is just not acceptable.

This ^^^^^^

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I flashed to the stock-rooted .4 build, and immediately had this problem (albeit in a lesser capacity than what y'all are describing). However, I then flashed back to Slim ICS 4 (which may be built from AOSP), and it went away.

That doesn't help but doubly confirm that it's a software issue, and that it seems to be limited to the official .4 build. Luckily, i/o is coming up, so I'm thinking that we'll get a build of Jellybean sooner, rather than later (even with VZW messing with things, I doubt that they'll want to hold back a bigger release). And of course, if they figure it out and get it tested sooner, I think they'd release it.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing a master reset tomorrow to try and fix this and if the issue persists when I'm done I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a fugly razr maxx sent to me.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Did the reset resolve the issue for you DJ?

Yes for the most part. The only lack of touch responsiveness I'm having now is when a text comes in and i tap it in the notification bar it takes a double tap but it's not happening consistently. Before the reset i was having the same issue as well with app icons not responding on home screens but so far so good. I lost my google wallet app thought because if you reset with the account activated it disables it on the phone and this is happening to devices that come with g wallet pre installed like the htc evo lte and the Sprint Gnex.