Verizon Nexus Signal - Still a Problem? -- Need advice

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I was an early adopter to the Nexus when Verizon released it and had nothing but issues and actually ended up returning it.

I left Verizon and moved to AT & T for a while but just had no signal at work and put up with it for a little while and then gave up and came back to Verizon. I was talked into the Droid Razrr Maxx by the sales guy and it's a nice phone but it rattles when I type and I keep losing my data signal and have to turn on Airplane mode off and on.

Any advice, I have 7 days left to decide if I am keeping the Maxx or if I should move to something else.

I really need some honest advice. I liked the Nexus but if I am going to lose my signal I don't know if it's worth it.

Paul_1201

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
A little more information would be helpful. If you're losing signal at home are you in fringe area of Verizon's network? For me the network extender from Verizon works great to provide network coverage at home.

If you are losing signal on the road Wilson Electronics has a variety of signal boosting options. Another option and what I use is a Cell Ranger Stix. It seems to really have helped with signal quality while driving.

Since I updated to the new radios and baseband my signal quality has greatly improved so getting a new Nexus now you may have a lot fewer issues.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been getting poor signal all week with my nexus but my home area doesnt have the greatest signal but my work however is normally 4G but I havent got that all week. I was trying to convince myself its Verizon network.

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
On My Razr Maxx the data drops happen weather I have a great signal or a low signal. It happened at work they other day and I was in the building near one of our Verizon Repeaters.

It dropped from 3G to 1x then dropped and went away completely and the only way to get it back was the turn Airplane Mode and back off.

Is the Nexus better since the 4.0.4 update?

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The solution for me was to turn off LTE. I only use it now when I need to download a large file and use WiFi at home.

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You guys do know that the Nexus will ALWAYS show worse signal than other phones right? It gives the most accurate dB readings on any phone. Go into Developer Options and you will see the fancy schmancy crap nobody wants to know about, including exact dB readings.

If you are having dropped calls and bad reception that is one thing, but don't get your knickers in a knot over the displayed signal strength...it really doesn't matter.

My clients have noticed a couple similar issues, but since .04 update- it hasn't really mattered. If you are having a problem on the VZW network, I learned from a tech support rep that pulling the battery on pretty much any 4g device - WHILE THE POWER IS ON is great for restoring the PRL signal update.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Would you recommended the Nexus over the RAZR

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

You might as well pick the SGS3 at this point

I would pick a Nexus over the RAZR but I haven't had any issues with dropped signal (just weak signal) but I'm able to make calls and access data > 90% of the time I need it so it's tolerable.

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Would you recommended the Nexus over the RAZR

I think they're both really nice phones. I prefer the Nexus for the pure Ice Cream Sandwich but I'd also be happy with the Razr. It comes down to personal preference IMO.

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
The sgs3 doesn't come out in time I have 7 more days in my 14 days before I am stuck

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
On the Maxx or the Nexus? Isn't it a shame to have to turn off LTE to make your phone work?

The Nexus. A friend of mine is also having data drop issues on his Bionic. My guess is it's a Verizon issue more so than the phone itself. For 90% of what I do, I don't need 4G speeds. I don't have 4G coverage at my work anyway with any phone so for me it's not a big deal.

However, I do agree that it's lame I have to turn off LTE to make a phone call without the call dropping.

bhanisko

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Still doesn't make sense to me. I have verizon and a Razr Maxx and signal strength, data connection, 4g connectivity, etc are EXCELLENT. My wife just picked up a Galaxy Nexus from verizon two days ago and signal strength, data connection, 4g connectivity, service are HORRIBLE. I've tried the battery pull. I've made sure it is running .04. Not sure what else to try.

So far I'd say the Nexus is the worst phone we've ever dealt with. Trying to convince her to get the Maxx - can't beat the battery and service with that phone.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I too had the data drop problems on LTE. The problem is not just software but also the LTE antenna. You had a defective phone. If you are under warranty and request a replacement they are fast and free. Got my replacement yesterday and haven't had that issue after testing out 4G for an hour at a Quiznos near my office at lunch that has a great signal. Knock on wood it stays this way, but definitely feels like it was a hardware issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

MarcSMASH

May 26, 2010
Visit site
That's a call I may have to make very soon. As a matter of fact, I had to wait for a reconnect just to post this reply. :mad:

Brought to you by Sammy G. Nexus.