Some things I noticed on Verizon's Note 2

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Does the wifi notification only show up when you turn wifi off, or is it always present?

Edit: currently deciding between carriers and want to make sure I am clear on any hardware/software differences

From what I've read, the pop-up comes on anytime you're not connected to wifi, but the notification is there at all times whether you're connected or not.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so why is this a big deal.

Let's see. If you aren't connected to wifi, every time you go into an app that uses data it tells you to connect to wifi and there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying there is wifi available.
If you are connected to wifi there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying you're connected.

There is no option to disable it.

Last edited:

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Let's see. If you aren't connected to wifi, every time you go into an app that uses data it tells you to connect to wifi and there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying there is wifi available.
If you are connected to wifi there is a constant notification in the pulldown menu saying you're connected.

There is no option to disable it.

LOL. Thats it I'm not buying it. Root it. Problem solved.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The code I posted worked on my S3 and in fact stopped all popups and notifications concerning wi-fi. It may not work on the GN2.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Others said the code only stopped the pop-up but the pulldown notification stayed, which required root and a SQL editor to remove it, that was also for the SG3.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Rooting can be different for each device model. I have read how to root the Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T version.
I don't see much activity in the root sections of the note 2.

That's making it even more difficult for me to spend near $800 for it as I've gotten accustomed to using customized ROMs.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I NEVER SAW THAT NOTIFICATION WITH WIFI OFF I CALL BS HOW IS IT SEARCHING FOR A SIGNAL WHEN OFF

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I NEVER SAW THAT NOTIFICATION WITH WIFI OFF I CALL BS HOW IS IT SEARCHING FOR A SIGNAL WHEN OFF

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Can you read?
Look at the complaints for the Verizon SG3. When wifi is off it isn't searching for a signal, it tells you that wifi is off and it's a persistent notification.
If it wasn't real why on earth would there be instructions on how to dial a code to remove the pop-up and how to use SQL editor to remove the persistent notification?

Either you guys can't read or can't comprehend what you read.
You might also be missing the part where it says the Verizon version.

Try this, Google "Verizon wifi persistent notification" then have someone read you the contents and explain it to you.
EDIT: I decided to find a few complaints for you.

This particular problem may not bother everyone, however, it shows what limits Verizon will go to to "help us". Eventually they will implement a "helpful" feature that will bother everyone. There is no reason not to let them know that making decisions on our behalf is not necessary nor appreciated.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/0...g-wifi-notification-on-the-verizon-galaxy-s3/

"On Friday, we noticed that Verizon had introduced a new ?ongoing? notification to the Galaxy S3 and Incredible 4G LTE that to put it nicely, was a bit annoying. This is essentially their way of reminding customers that they should use WiFi as much as possible rather than their brand spankin? new 4G LTE network. For tiered or shared data customers, this reminder is probably worthwhile, but to those of us with unlimited data and who do not appreciate a 24-7 reminder of something we do anyway, we were looking for ways to get rid of it. One of our readers has come through in the clutch again with a step-by-step guide, for rooted users.
Instructions:

*You have to be rooted in order to do this.

1. Download an SQL editor from the Play store and open it. SQLite Editor is an option.
2. Find Setting storage>settings.db>secure:"

How would you change WiFi notifications? | PhoneDog

A phone notifying you that there's a WiFi signal around isn't new, not by a longshot. It's been aorund for quite some time, and for the most part it's a pretty helpful feature. For those of us out there who don't necessarily always want to depend on our carrier's data connection, syncing up with an open WiFi network is a simple option. Sure, it may be clogged with other users, but it's an option. And your phone notifying you of that availability is great.

When it's handled properly, that is. Because, as we've seen from devices released just this year, it can be handled in a very, very non-functional way. The result? Annoyance. And that will eventually lead to frustration, especially if it keeps happening.

The Samsung Galaxy S III was the first culprit for me. That WiFi notification that's always present on the device's notification shade? Horrendous. Not only that, the device running on Verizon's network actually has a pop-up that notifies you every single time there's a WiFi signal in reach of the device. The kicker? There's no option to actually turn that feature off. Instead, you get three options: "OK," "Always auto connect," and "Not now, remind me later."

That pop-up drove me insane. I like WiFi networks, but I don't need to have them drilled into me.

HTC Incredible 4G LTE Review | Pocketnow

Verizon has also done its part to muck up the notification area: as we previously reported on, it?s converted the WiFi toggle into a persistent notification. The WiFi icon always stays in the tray, reminding you that, even if you don?t currently have WiFi turned on, you could if you wanted to. It won?t bother everyone, but for those who like keeping their notification tray clear so that incoming messages can be quickly identified, this senseless perversion of the notification system will likely prove a real pain.

Last edited:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Rooting can be different for each device model. I have read how to root the Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T version.
I don't see much activity in the root sections of the note 2.

That's making it even more difficult for me to spend near $800 for it as I've gotten accustomed to using customized ROMs.

It's just a matter of time and someone will have it going.