Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

This was on the first day and I was to trying to kill the battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Played with both. Own a DNA. The 1080p which at first would agree with you is overkill. After spending two weeks with it and getting used to that amazing screen. I saw my nexus 4 and actually saw pixels. Yes, everything just looked worse. This isn't just there, i see them on iphones as well. Just minor thinks that officially bother me. 440 isn't a myth or marketing scheme. It's real and when you add amazingly beautiful 2500x2500 wallpapers, you get the crispiest, most beautiful wallpapers ever. Also, my phone lasts me 24 hours. That's good enough for me. That's all I ever wanted.

The only thing Note 2 has is expandable memory, and battery.(also that s-pen) If you are into puttong a ton of movies/music on your phone, then go for the notes since it has an expandable slot. I don't need it as I stream all my music from Spotify. I'm not treating my phone as a tablet replacement. i have an ipad and a nexus 7. I don't need another one. the Droid Dna does everything fine and it feels the same as my Galaxy Nexus. So I'll choose this. But I won't say NOTE 2 isn't a great phone as I have recommended that phone to everyone.

As for the S-pen. I love how responsive it is, but I think the S-pen is truly better on the Galaxy Note 10.1 and I'm gonna wait. Because when they launch a 300ppi version of the galaxy note 10.1 with S-pen. That's my new tablet!!!!

I think what alot of people are forgetting is that this can be connected to an HDMI cable. Get the MHL adapter, load up a 1080p video from a usb drive and watch it on the big screen. I have the original Xoom and since it's only 720p having the capability to watch FULL HD on a big screen will be nice. The limited space and "small" battery is only a problem if you want to make it a problem. I'm not constantly on my phone as my job doesn't allow me the accommodation to sit on my phone all day and game and watch movies. When i'm on my phone it's for recreational use. If you need a phone that you will be on 24/7 then yes get a phone with a bigger battery. However, the majority of people are not those people who need to look at a 5" screen all day.

I haven't posted on here in a while but i just had to this time. Its not even close or fair to compare the DNA or any other Android phone or Iphone or whatever phone to the Note2. Its just that much better.
    GOOGLE Talk name: matrix.underworld add me if you dare

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hector709 View Post
    I was getting about 12 hours. My iphone got better life then that
    I meant on the note 2

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post
    I haven't posted on here in a while but i just had to this time. Its not even close or fair to compare the DNA or any other Android phone or Iphone or whatever phone to the Note2. Its just that much better.
    I'm not sure what you mean I have my note 2 and enjoy it but it's not far and away the best phone on all levels. I got rid of my DNA but only because it didn't suit me and my needs. Honestly it was faster through ui (both sense and nova) functions but not by much. I have noticed over the past few days of usage it can lag or hesitate and it has restarted on me a few times. I love the bigger screen on the note 2 but I can admit the dna was the easier device to handle one handed. It still is an awesome phone and I'm happy I got it but the dna had certain aspects I enjoyed more. The screen on the note 2 is more vibrant with better color saturation but the dna had an incredibly sharp screen. i love I have come from the s3, nexus, razr, bionic, thunderbolt and many iphones so I have some general knowledge.

In the end is all about about user preferences and choice.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you loved the old Palm PDAs way back when(like I loved mine in High School) go for the note 2. It has a feel much like a palm PDA, but no jarring corners(like Palm's Tungsten E2- the one I had). The thing is SUPER customizable with the page buddies. I have widgets set up automatically for music and podcasts which pop up automatically when I plu in headphones. When I pull out the pen, it automatically pops open a blank note for me, and when I tap the home button I get well... attached

If you also like to have a removable battery, another plus for the note 2. My only qualm is the note 2 feels VERY light. In fact, most of the weight is the battery. But perhaps the device is just light for it's size or something and weighs about as much as most other phones. Regardless, after a few days you cease to notice how light your device is because you'll be using it, probably with a case.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?-uploadfromtaptalk1354673211402.jpg  

Default Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

How do these phones compare to the Moto razr maxx hd? I am switching to Verizon in a couple of weeks and have to decide which phone to get. I really need mhl/hdmi(screen out ability) and expandable storage. I am leaning toward the maxx hd because of the battery life and price(even though its 199 w/upgrade).

What do you guys think?

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I too am debating these phones. After spending about 20 minutes with them in the store, I was definitely more impressed with the feel of the DNA. If felt more solid, better constructed and easier to handle. Whilst the super high ppi may be very kill, it made it substantially easier to read certain webpages without zooming in. The Note 2 has a good screen, but it felt a little too big to hold or to put next to my head. I think I will probably buy the DNA and if the battery life becomes a problem, I will then trade it in for a Note 2.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jod1 View Post
    How do these phones compare to the Moto razr maxx hd? I am switching to Verizon in a couple of weeks and have to decide which phone to get. I really need mhl/hdmi(screen out ability) and expandable storage. I am leaning toward the maxx hd because of the battery life and price(even though its 199 w/upgrade).

What do you guys think?
    My opinion is note 2 but that's bc your on a note 2 forum. Best bet is to go to the store and hold each. Battery life on my note has been outstanding, I bought a second battery since I wasn't sure and never use it unless I'm out for more than 20 hours. The razr has smart functions which are nice but the note 2 with s pen are a better option for me.

Global Posts
    830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jod1 View Post

What do you guys think?
    Both devices will last you all day and then some with the Maxx edging out the Note II just a little. The past 2 days (working days) my Note's battery life has been over 30 hours. It drops to about 23 to 25 on the weekends if this past weekend is any indication of my regular weekend use.

During the week I mainly use the device for email, calendar, web searches, a YouTube video or two, know... the basics. The heavy use (netflix and lots of random bordem use with a lot of screen on time) comes on the weekends.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

The note is clearly the superior choice.

The larger screen, replaceable battery (lithium batteries lose some of their charge and can't be replaced in the dna, the note has expandable storage while the dna does not, the note also has those excellent features the Galaxy S3 has plus the added functionality of the screen pen, should definitely give the note the edge.

The dna has a nicer screen and a better aesthetic appeal but I highly doubt it's worth losing an upgrade and unlimited.

You WILL use more data if you get the dna due to lack of storage forcing you into the cloud but without unlimited data...

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

This is debating diamonds vs platinum... Both great devices for very different use cases. I carry either depending on what my day looks like and for me it all comes down how it feels to you. The DNA has a amazing screen and for people to say you can't tell the difference then you need to have your eyes checked. That image sense cam is also killer.. Now the note 2 is a incredibly capable device that once you make part of your life you will wonder how you ever did without... but on the day you forgot your blue tooth and have to use it as a phone all day you will quickly understand the hybrid mindset.

Just get both and call one "Tuesday"
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    830 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Lol!

Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

I was in the same boat, Note 2 vs DNA. It came down to basically one thing for me: do I want to worry about battery life or not? I don't have access to a charger while at work, and while you can do things to extend your battery on any phone, I got the Note 2 because I could do everything I want to do during the day and not have to worry if the battery is gonna go before the end of my day. Lots of GPS, music, web, screen time all not on wifi. Note 2 was the winner for me.
    bpw

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I looked at both. Loved the DNA's screen but really got turned off by the nonremovable battery and to a lesser extent the lack of a microSD slot. I got no assurance from the Verizon store employee when I asked about what happens if (when) the battery life declines after a while, that it's an HTC matter. Not what I wanted or expected to hear.

On the other hand the Galaxy Note II doesn't have those limitations. I've got better things to do than worry about whether the battery is going to last the day and evening. The screen is just about as nice and is bright and vivid with excellent viewing angles. People complain about the size, but I've always used two hands even when dialing, one to hold, the other to dial, and the same goes for other uses. I'm a longtime HP (RPN) calculator user, so the size is fine. In fact the go41cx app (an outstanding HP-41CX emulator, highly recommended for those who care) looks just about life size on the Note II, and that is just insanely great. The phone fits in my front pocket easily enough. Anyone who is comfortable using a good handheld calculator, not counting the miniature drugstore throwaways, should be at home using the Note II.

I'm buying the Note II. The S-Pen is great, too; I look forward to being able to take notes while on the phone, do sketches, etc. For me it was a no brainer. HUGE thanks and congratulations to Samsung for hitting this one out of the park.
    Last edited by bpw; 12-04-2012 at 08:56 PM.

ROM
    BAMF

I contemplated the Note II for a little bit but then I realized I had a Palm III already and didn't need another one. But seriously, they are both big phones with the best internals money can buy right now. Personally, I have the DNA and would not think of trading it for the Note II. The screen is amazing, the phone is crazy fast and it does everything I need a miniature computer to do. The Note is nice and it does have expandable memory if you need it, but I don't need the s-pen and that is the only real "extra" the Note has over the DNA. Otherwise, hands down, the DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by gafly View Post
    Lol!

Love my phone but this. Network...

Not worth the 90 bucks a month

I must preface this with the fact that I came from the Thunderbolt. It was restarting incessantly, overheating in my pocket and apps that I use constantly (like Spotify) were not running smoothly. I went and looked at the Droid DNA before the Note 2 came out, and seriously had a compulsion to buy the phone. I resisted, and decided to wait. I had a Samsung Windows phone back in the day (Samsung Sch-i730, for those of you are into that sort of thing). Aside from it being a beast, it was one of my favorite smartphone prior to my OG Droid. So, I had some fond feelings towards Samsung as well.

Ultimately, I chose the Note 2. The size of the battery (and inability to replace it) and the lack of expandable memory (or 32gb option), were key factors in my decision. Also, this phone is available on every carrier in the US, and widely available internationally, so the case and accessory selection was going to be much larger. I also had more faith in Samsung to deliver future updates, even though we are on Verizon. That's just a guess, and time will tell whether or not I was right.

However, it only took a couple of hours to realize that the Verizon variant was not [I]exactly[I]the same as it's carrier siblings. The Verizon variant lacks the wireless charging pins for future case options (this can be accomplished via hack), blocking mode and the 4x4 calendar (aka SPlanner) widget have been removed, as well as some other things that have been noted on other forums. I am most upset about the wireless charging capability being gone, but I'm more irritated that they felt the need to remove it to only promote the DNA more. Such is life on the best network in the US today. Also, the S-Pen functions do not seem to work with third party launchers. If someone has had success with this, I would be delighted to hear!

In conclusion, the Note 2 is an amazing phone that I couldn't be happier with. However, if I had a phone that I could have lived with, I may have waited until after CES and MWC in February to see what was on the horizon. I loved the DNA's screen, but it wasn't a compelling enough reason to buy it.

Best of luck and I hope you love whatever you end up getting!
    Thanked by:
    Garmr 

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I received my Verizon GN2 the day before official release. Two disclaimers: I have never played with the DNA. I also only use my phone for actual phone calls a few times a day. My typical use case is internet, apps and, now with the S-Pen, document creation/editing.

With those admissions, I will say that the GN2 is not only the best smartphone I've ever used by a wide margin, it's probably the best electronic device/gadget I've ever used. It's already revolutionized the way I take notes (haha) at work. The hand writing recognition directly into Google Drive makes my notes instantly backed up, searchable, and infinitely malleable. Likewise the S-Pen has been extraordinarily useful when it comes to on the fly ideas. I think visually so often times my thoughts for work (not a visual/creative job) are in terms of diagrams or pictures. With the GN2 capturing those thoughts while I'm on the subway or at a coffee shop is a breeze. Also, annotating & proofing documents is awesome with the S-Pen and ezPDF.

That's all aside from the fact that the "phone" part of the phablet is a rock solid experience. You just have to accept the size of the device. It really is big. If you can accept that I can't imagine the DNA can beat it (but again, I haven't used the DNA). But this so far exceeds anything else that I've used before that I'm comfortable saying it's out front of everything else around by a good margin.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 no contest. I got mine last week on VZW and its the single best android phone I've ever used.

-battery life is insane even on lte with heavy usage.
    -I get 14-18 hours daily on stock battery
    -s-pen and s features are actually prey cool and useful
    -coming from anything earlier the screen is gorgeous
    -no one needs Sense UI. It's as cluttered and annoying as ever
    -DNA non removable battery. If it dies or fails you'll never be able to replace it
    -galaxy note 2 has a microsd slot...get a 64gb card and never worry about music movies or photo storage,
    -radios on the note 2 are excellent. I get good lte converge even in terrible locations I used to get no signal at all
    -touchwiz isn't obtrusive and it flies due to the quad core processor on the note 2
    -note 2 easily rooted if thats your thing with Odin
    -easy to use wifi hotspot for free on note 2
    -sound and call quality is excellent.
    -build quality feels very solid on both but I prefer actually the physical home button on note 2. Worth it's price JUST to never hit the home button by accident again
    -android 4.2 out of the gate...
    G for the note 2 it will eagerly last you
    -samsung has been quick on updates, htc not so much

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by varucell View Post
    I meant on the note 2

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry thought you were speaking about the DNA. I got 36 hours over the weekend. I used the fairly over the weekend. I average 18-20 hours of usage. During the week I use the phone more.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I was going to upgrade from my Incredible 2 to the next nexus, so when VZW didn't pick it up I narrowed it down to the DNA and N2. I went into the local ATT store several times to play with the N2 because it was so big I was not sure it would be useful. I preordered the N2 but was ready to cancel if I liked the DNA once it came out. I was one of many who got their N2 last week and played with the DNA over the weekend and I am glad I went with the N2. The DNA is a very nice phone but for me the screen did not live up to the hype; it was nice but not a huge leap over other phones. The battery life and lack of sd card were also strikes against it. I have used my N2 pretty hard the past few days because I traveled to a professional meeting. I used it all day to take notes in meetings and it is is dream come true for that. No more notebooks or pads to lose or to carry around. I noticed a lot of people using tablets to take notes but I think it would be easier to just use a small notebook rather than haul those around. Plus the N2 has been off of the charger for 14 hours now and still has 37% of the battery. I think the DNA is a great choice for just a phone, but the N2 is a phone plus a lot more. If not for the N2 I would probably wait and see what comes out this summer, the new phones will have the nice screen plus more battery power and expandable storage.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I've had both phones... I got the DNA over the Thanksgiving weekend... great phone, but the lack of mSD slot killed it for me... I need the extra space.. I even tried having all my photos go to my DropBox account (then delete them on the phone) and trimmed down my mp3 to the bear minimum... this left me with 3ish GB (only 11gb to start with of usable memory)...
    I don't know Verizon was thinking putting a Droid out there without a mSD slot... This HTC had/has the potential to be a GREAT phone (and it may be for those without my memory requirements)...
    Did they forget their followers? Do they think we're iPhone people? WTF...
    I've had the Note 2 for almost a week now.... and aside that it may be a little too big (maybe; jury is still out on whether on this)... then couple that with the long, LONG, long battery life (up 18 hours with good use) with the mult-window and mSD slot, the choice is clear: NOTE 2, hands down....
    The Hustleman likes this.

I will go with the HTC DNA anyday! That will undoubtedly be my choice.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast