S3 or wait it out?

mrjoshw

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
galaxy s3 is an incredible phone no doubt, but i need future proof, as i can't quite buy it full price (moving out in august, in college so money is tight.) and i don't think i have an option for a 1y plan. so it's really important this phone works great for me for the next 20 months.

I'm sure you guys have all heard/seen these threads but i would just like some advice.

coming from droid x, which was very top tier when it was released, and it stayed that way for a pretty long time.

i just feel like s3 will be passed up by fall by a huge line of quad core phones.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
if don't mind tiered data or shared plans, then wait to see what comes up if quad cores is that important to you.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
There's always something new. This phone should be relatively futureproof. The only thing that might hold it back is the GPU, but unless you're streaming 1080p video, it's probably a non-issue.
Unlimited data is what makes it completely worth it for me, whatever hesitations I might have otherwise.

mrjoshw

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
i'm probably just a bit anal about always having *the best thing* lol. i have the s3 preordered but if something better gets announced in the next 2-4 weeks i might think about switching. i'll keep you guys posted

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
There is always something better coming in 4 to 6 months, nothing is future proof. I am satisfied with getting the best device available now. I have no doubt it will do just fine for the next two years, until it is time to get new one.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
There is always something better coming in 4 to 6 months, nothing is future proof. I am satisfied with getting the best device available now. I have no doubt it will do just fine for the next two years, until it is time to get new one.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

^^ This.

There is always something better around the corner. Since we're in the Verizon sub-forum, let's recap the last 18 months on VZW:

When the Thunderbolt was being released, the Droid Bionic was on the horizon.

When the Droid Bionic was being released, the HTC Rezound was on the horizon.

When the HTC Rezound was being released, the Nexus was on the horizon.

When the Nexus was being released, the S3 was on the horizon.

Now that the S3 is being released, phones with A15 chips are on the horizon for release in 5 months... and so on

With tech, you just have to jump in at some point since there is ALWAYS something better around the corner. And when that thing is finally being released, something else even better will be on the horizon from that.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
^^^yup
You gotta pull the trigger at some point. The way I look at it I'll have had my Droid X 2 full years by the time I have my GS3 in my hands. I can rest assured that my unlimited data is safe for a least another 2 years. That to me is much more important than newer chip architecture. Besides the S4 is the best of current dual core tech. Its proven and is fast enough for everything we are doing on out phones currently. Quad core isn't optimized and is unproven on a mobile platform. No regrets with my GS3 pre order.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i'm probably just a bit anal about always having *the best thing* lol. i have the s3 preordered but if something better gets announced in the next 2-4 weeks i might think about switching. i'll keep you guys posted

If this is already your mentality it doesn't seem that you are interested in really having a device longer than a year. Fact is today, something better is always a couple months away.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There's reports of global shortages of S4 chips being unavailable now, leading to delays of phones (padphone) with Sony and Moto yet to release their S4 based phones yet.

There will literally be 10's of millions of people using S4 based phones for the next 2 years. No app (read: game) will be released in the next 2 years that won't be compatible with an S4 based phone. The developer would be crazy not to make it compatible.

As for video, the specs for the S4 show support for 1080 High Profile AVC @ 50Mbps. What more could you ask for?

-Suntan

Reactions: mrjoshw

48dodge

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting it out since my upgrade became available on my Incredible. Nothing has piqued my interest until the s3. A few things came close but rooting and trying out different roms kept me happy.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
If you consider a certain unreleased processor architecture to be a more important feature than unlimited data that you can never get back, then wait for whatever you want. If, like most of us, you consider retaining unlimited data to be a big deal, and realize that whatever hardware you get will eventually be outdated, while wireless data plans will only get worse, then pull the trigger like the rest of us.

flenn

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you can live with the Droid X that long, you really can't be concerned with having the "best thing". I've had two phones since my Droid X and still feel behind the curve.

HAXSO21

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Buy S3... Or you'll keep waiting for a better phone. And soon the galaxy S5 will be out.. its already AMAZING just get it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty