Cheapest way to upgrade Bionic to S3?

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not eligable for an upgrade to the GS3, so was wondering what the most economical way to swap out my Bionic is? I really liked my Bionic until my wife got the GS3 - now I am quite envious.

One option would be for me to sell my used Bionic on EBay - they go for about $150 used. Then I'd have to shell out $580 for a new GS3 without a contract, for a net cost of $430.

Is there a much better option?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
assuming that you are on a legacy family plan with less than 5 lines, you can add a new line, activate it, then switch the phone to your line, and then put a basic or dummy (non physical) phone on the line you just started. This way ensures warranty as opposed to buying used. In 20 months on that line, you could upgrade again.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
assuming that you are on a legacy family plan with less than 5 lines, you can add a new line, activate it, then switch the phone to your line, and then put a basic or dummy (non physical) phone on the line you just started. This way ensures warranty as opposed to buying used. In 20 months on that line, you could upgrade again.

I already have 5 lines. But even if I didn't, wouldn't your technique cause me to have to pay another $9.99 a month for the line, plus $30 a month for data? So $40 a month extra?

snork

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
You would be able to drop the data once you switched it to your main line and added a dumbphone - thus costing you $240 over 2 years + $199 for the GS3 + $30 upgrade fee. So you'd be paying $470 total or $320 if you sell your Bionic.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You would be able to drop the data once you switched it to your main line and added a dumbphone - thus costing you $240 over 2 years + $199 for the GS3 + $30 upgrade fee. So you'd be paying $470 total or $320 if you sell your Bionic.

you would still have to pay taxes and fees for the line, my basic lines run about $14 total ( $10 service, $4tax/fees), but this can depend on area.

I already have 5 lines. But even if I didn't, wouldn't your technique cause me to have to pay another $9.99 a month for the line, plus $30 a month for data? So $40 a month extra?

as said above, once you but on a basic phone or dummy line then you would not have to pay a data charge for that line. data is required for the phone, not the line. meaning, even if you paid full retail for your gs3(or any smartphone for that matter), you would still have to have a data plan.

however, 5 lines max on the legacy family plan.

Sell bionic and buy a s3 on Craigs if your feeling lucky

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

there is no warranty if you buy from cl, having had every single smartphone i have purchased from Verizon replaced under warranty at least twice, i personally would not choose this option. but like you said about the luck thing...

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

There is no $30 upgrade fee if you add a line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non