Radio Issues Indoors

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So I've had issues at several locations I frequent. Oddly it seemed like outside the buildings, I was getting at least 2-3 bars of 4G, inside, back and forth between 1 bar 4G, 3G and 1X. Needless to say it was killing my battery.
Now this is in Venice and Santa Monica, CA which, according to people I talked to at Verizon, should be a flagship location. Also, from what I understand, 4G shouldn't be effected by walls like WiMax or other 4G frequencies. Keep in mind, I'm in bars, friend's houses, not Fort Knox.
Starting the first week I had the phone, I spoke to Verizon 6 times. Tried: Reset, New Sim and eventually a new phone (they said it would be new and not refurbished... guess what I received.)
Before they would send me a new phone (they wouldn't actually I had to go to a store) one particularly nasty and long winded "tech" explained that IF I had wifi or even Bluetooth on but not connected that it would make my 4G signal worse because they would be looking for a signal. This I've never heard before and frankly makes um, no sense whatsoever to me.
Has anyone heard this?
Finally, my new phone worked somewhat better until I got home and I couldn't make phone calls or receive texts.
Spent an hour on the phone and finally they said (aside from the fact that samsung is working on a fix for the problems) install "Phone Info" the app.
Installing an application that turns off my 4G so that I might get some kind of signal in an area that's listed on Verizon's map as being fully 1X, 3G and 4G compatible is Verizon / Samsung's workaround. Also, it didn't work.
So that's the company I've been with for 13 years.
Frankly quite pissed that 1, they deliberately pushed me past my 14 days so that I couldn't receive a "new" phone and 2, their maps are at best inaccurate and worst complete fabrications.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Reception takes a hit indoors no matter where you are. I have a razr maxx and GS3 and even with the superior radios that moto is known for there is a def loss of signal strength with every 4g device that I've ever used.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I also get 1 bar of 4G indoors at work (but 3 bars at home).
The only way I got barely 2 bars at work is if I point my phone towards the closest window, then I'm actually able to use my phone. Otherwise, I can't even load a single page.

If its a hardware issue, then how unfortunate. If its a software or carrier issue, they better have an update for this soon. My coworkers with the same phone on T-mo have full reception where I can barely get by.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Well I was trying to say that I'll stand outside a 1 story bar and get 2-3 bars of 4G and then walk inside and get no 4G at all and my phone will bounce from 3G to 1X. The DX worked fine in the same location and kept 3G. Found this on another posting:

"No, it's actually the other way around. Verizon's 4G LTE is on 700MHz, which should offer better building penetration than their 3G EVDO/2G 1xRTT network on 850MHz or 1900MHz depending on area. Lower frequencies offer better building penetration while higher frequencies can offer higher throughput all other things being equal.

I don't know how much interference there is on the 700MHz band. It probably doesn't have a lot since it's part of the old analog TV band. It certainly isn't as bad as 2.4GHz where everybody, their uncle, his dog, and their pet gopher broadcast everything."

AllenA07#AC

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed I take a big hit moving indoors with 4g. Inside my house I'm hanging out with 1 bar of 4g. If I walk outside that quickly goes up to 3-4 bars. Seems much more pronounced of a problem with 4g then it ever seemed with 3g.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I may have found a partial fix.
Samsung is aware that their radio software is having malfunctions on the GS3 (at least Verizon) and I was told that Phone Info (by going to CDMA only) would "fix" the problem.
I had 4G inside (2 bars) and decided to restart my phone to test it (or I'm an idiot). It restarted with no 4G, barely any 1x, 3G.
I went to phone info and chose 4G only. After a second it picked it up and then I switched back to LTE, CDMA, EVDO and it's sticking with 4G again.
Not sure if it'll work for other people if they're having similar problems.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to keep checking but I would guess it's for the places where you're having problems.
Still, it's better then their current work around which is turn off LTE completely.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issues as pappa smurf. I am at the point where they want to ship me a new phone, but I'd rather hold on to mine if there will be a software update at some point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The only places I have issues are in places like Target or Kohls etc. big stores, and it is not just my GS3. My old X and Rezound both had issues in these places as well as my SIL and hubby's iPhones! I get great reception in houses and small stores or bars etc.

daikens28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm having the same issues with my s3. It works great outdoors but as soon as I go into a building, the signal drops to 1-2bars of 3g. I don't really get it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are many factors, but really, the enclosed space without windows really reduces signal. I bet that you can get signal near the door but as you go in, signal decreases.

The only places I have issues are in places like Target or Kohls etc. big stores, and it is not just my GS3. My old X and Rezound both had issues in these places as well as my SIL and hubby's iPhones! I get great reception in houses and small stores or bars etc.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I know Samsung is working on a software fix but anyone know if i load up a new rom it will fix some of the signal jumping issues?

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I get a much weaker signal in my house. Usually 1-2 bars, sometimes 3. Outside it's full reception.

I normally don't go into Walmart, but I did run in there one day and there was no reception. My phone was crawling at 1x. Rumor is they jam phone signals (Um, Hi, illegal no?) and I'm suspicious of that as when I went across the street to Target, I had full reception. (all bars lit up) Not a big deal as I avoid Walmart like the plague.

As for the weaker reception in my house, I had the same thing on my Droid Incredible but with the S3, if it falls back to 3G as it has on rare occassion, the reception is better than my Inc ever was. We have two S3s at our house and they get identical reception, so I doubt no matter what I do will change that. I'm not too worried as long as my reception stays decent at places I go.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87