Unsupported in Civic?

facedown41

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing a while ago that the usb plug in cars was only for ipods. Not sure if that was fixed in newer cars for it to include android but that could be your issue.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a 2012 Accord and my best friend has a 2012 Honda CRV. It's only iS**T that is supported. I LOVE my Hondas, but come on...really?

In their defense, iPhones have a standard API that can be used to interface with the device, whereas with Android there are a lot more variables between manufacturers, software versions, etc...not to mention device driver management.

Not saying it's impossible for automakers to include the technology to play your music over USB...but I kinda understand when some don't bother messing with it.

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I also tried it in my 2012 dodge charger and got the same "unsupported" message, but it works perfectly for my old iphone 4. I'm still looking around for units that support android, but pretty much all of them are designed for ipod/iphone.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I also tried it in my 2012 dodge charger and got the same "unsupported" message, but it works perfectly for my old iphone 4. I'm still looking around for units that support android, but pretty much all of them are designed for ipod/iphone.

Toyota's entune works great with Android via bluetooth. Haven't even bothered trying with a USB cable because of it. Why use a wire if you don't have to?!

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Because I didn't want my phone to die. The usb port would allow me to charge and sync at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
2010 Acura and get the same Unsupported message. I believe all Honda lines require the file system to be either FAT or FAT32 otherwise it won't work. Certain I've read that somewhere before when I couldn't get my USB stick to work in my car. Sure enough it didn't work with NTFS...when I reformated the stick to FAT32, it worked.

Not an issue anyway, I just use the bluetooth connection and not worry about draining the battery cause I can have the phone plugged into the lighter outlet for that.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It's unfair and ridiculous that Acura/Honda don't get it together with this particular topic. I have a brand new Acura that doesn't work with my brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It works with a palm pre, htc evo & various other Android devices. the iPhone excuse is ridiculous because Acura and Honda both make claims to support Android devices via usb including Pandora within them and again not by bluetooth alone. when I pay 4K extra for a technology package that doesn't work with a brand new Android device it really pisses me off.

The failure is on Samsungs end. The car is expecting to see a standard USB mass storage device out there, and Samsung requires custom USB drivers and such that the Honda doesn't have.
I'm not sure why Samsung has such a goofed up USB. I can't get my S3 to work on half of the PCs I've tried it on. Luckily, wireless works well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

drodge

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty annoyed by this as well. I just purchased a 2013 Civic yesterday and was told repeatedly by several of the salesmen that it "integrated seamlessly with any smartphone". They were all hot on the text to speech for text messages and streaming Pandora. Too bad none of that works with Android. I'm going to go back today, but I'm sure they will have no answer.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why aren't you just using Bluetooth?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

pwenpwen

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Why aren't you just using Bluetooth?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Speaking for myself, my 2012 Honda Civic doesn't recognize, and is not recognized by, my brand new Note 3. That's in addition to it being unrecognizable by USB like everyone else seems to be having a problem with.
Does anyone have any possible solutions?

Eijay berberabe

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
androids did work before, but they worked on early jelly beans or earlier versions., we are now on a new operating system. like is sony playstation 1 or 2 or 3 being backwards compatible now? xbox, xbox 360, and xbox one. especially without anyway to actually update the system.

maybe google can actually update their car app to be able to be backwards compatible with honda, or all cars, or honda can make an app for compatibility with android.

but the fact is that with honeycomb and earlier versions. they did work alright. granted, it was just the internal media player that it controlled for usb hook up, but now these usb hookups don't even have enough power to charge a phone. especially now that phones like the s3, s4 note 2 and note 3 use 2 amp chargers, and stock car usb hookups are still at .5 amp.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Because I didn't want my phone to die. The usb port would allow me to charge and sync at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

So either way, USB or WiFi, you'd have to use a cable, correct?
Don't understand the logic. Use WiFi and plug phone into charger. Problem solved.

EDIT: Meant Bluetooth, not WiFi.

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So either way, USB or WiFi, you'd have to use a cable, correct?
Don't understand the logic. Use WiFi and plug phone into charger. Problem solved.

EDIT: Meant Bluetooth, not WiFi.

Even though its been over a year, I still remember that the 2012 charger I had did not have Bluetooth. So yeah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles