Storage space is running out

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Then you should uninstall them and install them again on sd card !! i guess that will work...

I did a factory reset and installed just over half of what I had before. I did install on SD now that the OS allows it.. I still get low memory notifications when I download or update am app.. Very strange..

From Tapatalk Pro on my Nexus 7 (2012)

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset and installed just over half of what I had before. I did install on SD now that the OS allows it.. I still get low memory notifications when I download or update am app.. Very strange..

Is it a low memory notification, or just a memory notification? When I download an app these days the phone tells me I have 3.5GB. left on my SD card, which is true *smile*. That doesn't really seem like a low memory notification, just a notification...

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
A low internal memory. I have a 64GB SD card that isn't close to fill. In fact with 4.3 OS I have put some of the apps' to SD card like we could long before ice cream.

Davopr

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Storage space is running out (Galaxy Note 1)

Sorry, I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere. Rooting my phone worries me! I just don't know enough about what I'm doing. Is there a video to show? This lack of space has been with me forever. Never ever did I have a problem with my iPhone. DiskUsage tells me my apps are taking up 628mb (just deleted a ton!),System data is 1153mb! And free space is only 233mb. I've seen in forums that most of this system space (if not all) is being used up by deleted pix, documents etc but in actual fact they are still there (or most of them). How do I get at that file of deleted things to actually confirm I down want them and clear the space? Here's a snapshot of DiskUsage. I can expand it to see what's in it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-30-13-00-51.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-30-13-00-51.png
    319.5 KB · Views: 17

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Storage space is running out (Galaxy Note 1)

This lack of space has been with me forever.
What phone is this snapshot from? Unless it was from a Galaxy S3 Mini with only 8GB total I can't explain why it would be so jacked up.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

lykastyles

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if this would help, but I was always running out of space even if I deleted apps and files, until I saw this "thumbdata" from sdcard > DCIM > thumbnails. I deleted it and I gained big **** of space lol. Eventually it would come back, so to prevent that, you should copy the name of the file first, then create a folder with same name, then delete the file. This may be of help with people who like taking pictures haha. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I deleted it and I gained big **** of space
Perhaps. My thumbnail folder occupies ~185MB of space (most of which is taken up by two database files; the thumbnails themselves average ~21KB ), which is frankly a drop in the bucket. If you're having to scrounge for 185MB on a 16GB phone, you have bigger worries.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

YASH JAIN3

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
i use bluestacks app player on my laptop..how do i empty my internal storage? i mean how do i delete all photos nd videos..audio..its not getting deleted..please help..

flowergirl1204

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I've tried calling the above number (*#9900#) and I get a message from Verizon Wireless saying "your feature update cannot be completed." Is this a feature update?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't support those special codes.

imkingdavid

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to pop in and say what worked for me. I have an S3 that I have rooted and installed several ROMs on over the past year. The phone has an internal 12GB storage capacity and I was at 11.20GB and was getting low space warnings.

I have an app called AirDroid that lets me view my phone's filesystem on my computer via Wifi, but I found out that it actually didn't show all of the files on my phone. Specifically, I noticed that using that app I couldn't see all of the files in the /storage/emulated/ directory. It was only showing a folder called 0 and a folder called legacy. But, by using the File Manager app that came with my current ROM, I saw that in the /storage/emulated/ folder there were files that didn't get removed when I originally flashed my first non-stock ROM. Everything in my current ROM is in the /storage/emulated/0/ directory, and everything from my original, stock ROM is in the /storage/emulated/ directory, alongside 0 directory. So I went through and deleted pretty much everything (except some photos and music that I had on my original ROM) and found that I was suddenly back at 6.49GB free space.

So if you're at a loss trying to find what is clogging up your phone, try looking there. I can't guarantee that that's your solution, but I figured I'd put it out there as something to look at. As I said, you'll need to use a file manager app, rather than plugging the phone into your computer or using wifi remote file manager, and definitely be sure to give it root access or you won't be able to get to those files.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

steve2107

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem as many on this thread. Had the phone into the Samsung location in Manchester a number of times where they performed a full software recovery twice and then replaced the mainboard but the problem persisted. I realised that the memory logs which were filling up the logs file seem to be connected to a network issue and decided to try and obtain a new sim and see if this helped. Got the new sim yesterday and everything that seemed to kick in the log files and fill up the system memory seems to be ok. Previously it might be ok once I had cleared the logfiles (*#9900#, delete log files) for a few hours but then all of a sudden the log files would start again and within a few hours my phone (Galaxy Note) would start becoming unresponsive and I would get the Storage space running out message and my system memory would be down to 100mb rather than 1.4g. After weeks and weeks of the same problem I am reticent to say that things are completely resolved but putting the new sim in seems to have solved the problem for me.

Jina Siolazima

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I believe this is a common issue, as I've read every post I can get my hands on, but none of the proposed solutions that I've attempted have resolved my issue.

I recently rooted my VZW S3, using CyanogenMod (10.0.0-d2vzw), so I'm at Android 4.1.2. I don't have many apps loaded onto the phone (GMail, Maps, Evernote, Dropbox, Twitter, USAToday) as well as photos saved onto the internal memory.

When attempting to download/install app updates, I'd always get hit with the insufficient space available error...so I found a resolution that suggested using [redacted] to fix this. It appeared to work, but today I now get a persistent "Storage space is running out" error, which has rendered any data connection (wifi/4g) useless.

Per other recommendations, I tried using 1Tap Cleaner, then Link2SD to move photos to SD, but that even threw an error (pkg: /data/app/com.google.android.gm-2.apk Failue (INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE))

I then tried Send to SD card, and seemed to work at first, but hasn't corrected the issue.

When viewing my storage settings, they currently are:

Internal: Total, 12.05gb
Apps: 820MB
Pictures: 723MB
Audio: 20k
Available: 80.95MB

External (SD card): Total, 14.93GB
Available: 11.44GB

Obviously something doesn't make sense if I have the free space on the SD card (or so it says) and I find it hard to believe that the ROM is taking up almost 11gb of internal.

Any and all help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem like a hour before this reply.
I you have an app to access root folders/files like es file explorer will be of help.
An app is eating up your space mine was com.facebook.katana was taking a whole 7GB
I deleted the folder and now the phone is working well no low space **** again. And space used now addup to remaining space.
anycase u don't understand and need more explanation find me on whatsapp [phone number redacted by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gheorghe Ignat

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
This topic may be old, but I'd like to share how I fixed my insufficient storage available problem on a chinese THL 200w (1GB space for apps and about 5GB for pictures & videos):
- I rooted the phone pretty soon after i got it;
- installed a bunch of apps;
- later added SD card and start moving some of the apps using Android's feature;
- got the message "insufficient storage available"
- start cleaning cache and problem seemed to go away - me happy.
- "insufficient storage available" again
- now cleaning the cache was not enough since I was having only about 50-80MB available on that partition.
- here comes Link2SD to save me: I added extra linux partition to the sd card and start using Link2SD to move more apps to the SD card (still app's data is not movable with the free version of Link2SD);
- problem seemed to go away but, only for a while, because I got the message again after a couple of months.
- this time I bought Link2SD to move almost everything to SD and I ended with 180MB free;
- but guess what - message came again after a couple of months, so obviously I had to change the doctor because the patient was still sick.
- used Root Browser, went to DATA\LOG_OTHER_MODE and found two *.log files (kernel_log and main_log) that combined were larger than 500MB! I deleted those two and now I'm happy again!

Maa Nirmuta

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. I don't even use internet on my phone.. so virtually no app data, no media files nothing..actually using only the basic functions as of now. The phone is just 2 weeks old. Once my internal storage ran out completely. Then I had reset the phone, it was restored. But within 1 week again, it is disappearing.

IntGaming

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
hey i also have the same problem i have 4gb internal storage shown in my phone storage is that only about 2.5gb is stored but the free space is only 0.7gb... and i suspect in my case is the bluetooth transfer i've done several weeks ago.. because the size of the files i transferred is equal to the amount of space mysteriously missing until now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles