Data Usage... Verizon vs Phone

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So, after almost two full months now comparing what Verizon says I am using for data and what the ICS "Usage" for Mobile Network shows, I am seeing that the phone thinks it is using between a QUARTER and HALF of what Verizon says it uses...

And as of today, only a few days into the billing cycle and I have been on WiFi more than normal, the Usage says 46.59MB used, Verizon says I have used 122.88MB... very odd, I would expect a slight discrepancy, but not such a huge difference.

My work Rezound shows similar statistics in comparison of the Usage and Verizon, so it's not just my phone being weird.

Anyone else noticing this trend?

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
yeah using home screen>setting>usage>scroll the bars to included whole month my Rezound says I used 1.44Gb and on the Verizon web page says 1.64Gb

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What program are you using to track your traffic? I have never thought about comparing but i think i might need to
It is built into ICS... Settings->Usage... I set it up immediately after getting ICS on both of my Rezounds to match my billing cycles. I would suggest comparing it and see if it is even close, if it was even within 20% I probably would just ignore it, but we are talking a MASSIVE discrepancy.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My Rezound is telling me .223 GB and the MyVerizon app says .445 GB
This is very typical of what I am seeing, the Rez is telling me half to a quarter of the usage that My Verizon or the final total for a billing cycle on VZW Online shows.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
hmm my phone says 2.18 GB Verizon is saying 5.2

Wonder how off Verizon is then or what the google version is not showing. I know I did download Asphalt 7 heat and the Batman game and each was about 1.3-1.9 gb of data So i think verizons is more accurate

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
hmm my phone says 2.18 GB Verizon is saying 5.2

Wonder how off Verizon is then or what the google version is not showing. I know I did download Asphalt 7 heat and the Batman game and each was about 1.3-1.9 gb of data So i think verizons is more accurate
Interesting... I think I will try something over the weekend downloading several hundred megs but where I know the exact size, wait an hour or so and then check the totals in the device and VZW and see what the difference is, maybe it is as simple as the "Usage" thing doesn't report correctly.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Now that i think about it more I had trouble with the batman game fully downloading. it got to 1.7 gb and would stop.. I had to restart is at least once.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
During my last billing cycle my phone said I used 0.98GB. My Verizon bill says I used 1.251GB.

Currently my phone is saying I have used 231MBs and Verizon is saying I have used 294MBs.

avs1121

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
U guys need to change the reset date to coincide with ur bill's cutoff date. Think its the 20th. Had to change mine and now usage is comparable. Plus, it says in "usage" that phone and carrier amounts will differ. My phone says 1.15gb and my vzw app says 1.29gb.

Bubba's Rezound

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
U guys need to change the reset date to coincide with ur bill's cutoff date. Think its the 20th. Had to change mine and now usage is comparable. Plus, it says in "usage" that phone and carrier amounts will differ. My phone says 1.15gb and my vzw app says 1.29gb.

Bubba's Rezound
Yeah, done this on day one... mine is the 26th on phone and the 27th on another, it is different for everyone.

As of this morning: Rez 1 - VZW: 126.98MB Usage: 53.23MB Rez 2 - VZW: 9.22MB Usage: 9.14MB (Rez2 is on WiFi 99% of the time)

I understand that they will differ... it is the vast difference that is seen sometimes that concerns me.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Bubba's Rezound

I am also comparing mine on the same dates as Verizon.

TCM

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that the ICS data usage tool doesn't seem to include browser downloads. For example: I downloaded one of my friend's sets (289 MB) and it never showed up in the usage tool.

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Data over WiFi is a possible factor. Data over the network would show on my verizon but not WiFi. Correct?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Wgreenjr_81

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
When using the ICS data meter, make sure you slide the starting point to the beginning of the data cycle. by default it will only include the current calendar month.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Data over WiFi is a possible factor. Data over the network would show on my verizon but not WiFi. Correct?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
Not likely... Data over WiFi is recorded separately, go to the Usage screen and press Menu and select Usage settings (only option), then you can tick WiFi and you will see a tabbed interface in the Usage screen, one tab for Mobile Data, and one for WiFi data.

When using the ICS data meter, make sure you slide the starting point to the beginning of the data cycle. by default it will only include the current calendar month.
Yup, I have played with it a lot and understand how it works... I have my billing cycle setup in both devices and understand how the sliders work.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I rechecked my numbers and I'm now much closer then before. Thinking i might not have had the slider ALL the way over but thought i did. I'm only .33 gb off now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana