Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TCM
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Default Data Usage... Verizon vs Phone

So, after almost two full months now comparing what Verizon says I am using for data and what the ICS "Usage" for Mobile Network shows, I am seeing that the phone thinks it is using between a QUARTER and HALF of what Verizon says it uses...

And as of today, only a few days into the billing cycle and I have been on WiFi more than normal, the Usage says 46.59MB used, Verizon says I have used 122.88MB... very odd, I would expect a slight discrepancy, but not such a huge difference.

My work Rezound shows similar statistics in comparison of the Usage and Verizon, so it's not just my phone being weird.

Anyone else noticing this trend?
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Default Re: Data Usage... Verizon vs Phone

What program are you using to track your traffic? I have never thought about comparing but i think i might need to
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

yeah using home screen>setting>usage>scroll the bars to included whole month my Rezound says I used 1.44Gb and on the Verizon web page says 1.64Gb

My Rezound is telling me .223 GB and the MyVerizon app says .445 GB
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    What program are you using to track your traffic? I have never thought about comparing but i think i might need to
    It is built into ICS... Settings->Usage... I set it up immediately after getting ICS on both of my Rezounds to match my billing cycles. I would suggest comparing it and see if it is even close, if it was even within 20% I probably would just ignore it, but we are talking a MASSIVE discrepancy.
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    My Rezound is telling me .223 GB and the MyVerizon app says .445 GB
    This is very typical of what I am seeing, the Rez is telling me half to a quarter of the usage that My Verizon or the final total for a billing cycle on VZW Online shows.

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

hmm my phone says 2.18 GB Verizon is saying 5.2

Wonder how off Verizon is then or what the google version is not showing. I know I did download Asphalt 7 heat and the Batman game and each was about 1.3-1.9 gb of data So i think verizons is more accurate
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    hmm my phone says 2.18 GB Verizon is saying 5.2

Wonder how off Verizon is then or what the google version is not showing. I know I did download Asphalt 7 heat and the Batman game and each was about 1.3-1.9 gb of data So i think verizons is more accurate
    Interesting... I think I will try something over the weekend downloading several hundred megs but where I know the exact size, wait an hour or so and then check the totals in the device and VZW and see what the difference is, maybe it is as simple as the "Usage" thing doesn't report correctly.

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Now that i think about it more I had trouble with the batman game fully downloading. it got to 1.7 gb and would stop.. I had to restart is at least once.
    Lovin' My Phone

During my last billing cycle my phone said I used 0.98GB. My Verizon bill says I used 1.251GB.

Currently my phone is saying I have used 231MBs and Verizon is saying I have used 294MBs.
    ~Janet~

Today, Verizon is telling me more than triple what my Rezound says.

U guys need to change the reset date to coincide with ur bill's cutoff date. Think its the 20th. Had to change mine and now usage is comparable. Plus, it says in "usage" that phone and carrier amounts will differ. My phone says 1.15gb and my vzw app says 1.29gb.

Bubba's Rezound
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by avs1121 View Post
    U guys need to change the reset date to coincide with ur bill's cutoff date. Think its the 20th. Had to change mine and now usage is comparable. Plus, it says in "usage" that phone and carrier amounts will differ. My phone says 1.15gb and my vzw app says 1.29gb.

Bubba's Rezound
    Yeah, done this on day one... mine is the 26th on phone and the 27th on another, it is different for everyone.

As of this morning: Rez 1 - VZW: 126.98MB Usage: 53.23MB Rez 2 - VZW: 9.22MB Usage: 9.14MB (Rez2 is on WiFi 99% of the time)

I understand that they will differ... it is the vast difference that is seen sometimes that concerns me.
    Lovin' My Phone

Quote Originally Posted by avs1121 View Post

Bubba's Rezound

I am also comparing mine on the same dates as Verizon.
    ~Janet~
    TCM

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vigor360 (V1.1)

I've noticed that the ICS data usage tool doesn't seem to include browser downloads. For example: I downloaded one of my friend's sets (289 MB) and it never showed up in the usage tool.
    TBolt and MrRicks84 like this.

Data over WiFi is a possible factor. Data over the network would show on my verizon but not WiFi. Correct?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

When using the ICS data meter, make sure you slide the starting point to the beginning of the data cycle. by default it will only include the current calendar month.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by cdmjlt369 View Post
    Data over WiFi is a possible factor. Data over the network would show on my verizon but not WiFi. Correct?

Not likely... Data over WiFi is recorded separately, go to the Usage screen and press Menu and select Usage settings (only option), then you can tick WiFi and you will see a tabbed interface in the Usage screen, one tab for Mobile Data, and one for WiFi data.

Quote Originally Posted by wgreenjr81 View Post
    When using the ICS data meter, make sure you slide the starting point to the beginning of the data cycle. by default it will only include the current calendar month.
    Yup, I have played with it a lot and understand how it works... I have my billing cycle setup in both devices and understand how the sliders work.

I wonder if it is a similar glitch that iPhones, even 2 generation old like the 4, have in which you are accruing mobile data usage even when using wifi.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

I rechecked my numbers and I'm now much closer then before. Thinking i might not have had the slider ALL the way over but thought i did. I'm only .33 gb off now
    Lovin' My Phone

Thanks for posting the link. I forwarded to two iPhone 5 family members.

I am definitely not experiencing that glitch.
    ~Janet~

Anyone have an issue where the phone data counter resets in the middle of the month? I flashed the official ics leak about 2 days before big red pushed it, so I have only been using the feature for about 2 months.

I think I have the same discrepency as everyone else, but hard to tell since it reset in the middle of the billing cycle both months...

I did set up the phone counter to match my billing cycle from day one.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by danhartman26 View Post
    Anyone have an issue where the phone data counter resets in the middle of the month? I flashed the official ics leak about 2 days before big red pushed it, so I have only been using the feature for about 2 months.

I think I have the same discrepency as everyone else, but hard to tell since it reset in the middle of the billing cycle both months...

I did set up the phone counter to match my billing cycle from day one.

Hmmm... I wonder if this is the cause of my huge discrepancy, it doesn't appear that way by moving the sliders, but will need some more investigating to verify... and another month of checking to determine for sure.

Here's a screenshot - you can see my billing cycle is set to start on the 14th, but the phone reset data on the 22nd for some reason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Data Usage... Verizon vs Phone-uploadfromtaptalk1349714160999.jpg  
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Yeah, I see what you are saying, mine is nothing like that... And the WiFi totals don't seem to jive if it was spilling over either... One thing that came to mind was the browser after what Major Payne (I think) said earlier about it might not be seeing browser downloads, I only use the Maxthon Browser on this phone, perhaps it is not seeing any data it is using. Hmmm, very odd.

Data Usage... Verizon vs Phone-usage1.jpgData Usage... Verizon vs Phone-usage3.jpgData Usage... Verizon vs Phone-usage2.jpg
    Last edited by acejavelin; 10-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.