Speaking of PRLs

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, after restarting, I noticed I had a new PRL - 15027. Was 15011 before. This persisted through the MR2 OTA update too, which has been great for me.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing 15011 myself but have only rebooted the phone once since the update so I suspect the new one will be pushed shortly. Thanks for the heads up :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing 15011 myself but have only rebooted the phone once since the update so I suspect the new one will be pushed shortly. Thanks for the heads up :)
I got this PRL update yesterday during a routine restart, before I ever even started the MR2 OTA update. Sorry if any confusion.

Not sure anymore what circumstances dictate the PRL on this 4G/LTE phone/plan. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto... But...

Me...
Nationwide FS
Denver, CO
Unlimited Data
Unlimited Hotspot (I was already signed up for unlimited MHS when I got this PRL)
Have always been VZW (not Alltel or anything else)
Alltel has no towers around these parts out West (FWIW)
I'm in an initial "rollout" 4G city
PRL=15027 now

-Frank

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's cool, next time I do a reboot on my phone I will do a SIM pull to see if that triggers an update for me, if not no biggie. Even on the old PRL I am seeing better signal/reception than the first leaked MR2

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
That's cool, next time I do a reboot on my phone I will do a SIM pull to see if that triggers an update for me, if not no biggie. Even on the old PRL I am seeing better signal/reception than the first leaked MR2

The PRL update typically won't give you better service unless you are in an area where VZW is building out a new network, or if they have made major changes in the area (such as activating additional capacity on a previously unused frequency that wasn't already configured properly in the PRL or buying another carrier and merging the networks).

As far as I know, the PRL doesn't impact LTE service since, only CDMA.

I did have one issue that was fixed by a PRL update recently, but it was relating to Verizon integrating the Alltel cell sites into their network and changing other things at the same time. Now, I still have other network issues but getting into those would be off topic.

In other words, if you aren't having problems, a PRL update will probably do nothing for you. If you are having signal related issues, it might work in some rare cases, but this is not extremely common.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The PRL update typically won't give you better service unless you are in an area where VZW is building out a new network, or if they have made major changes in the area (such as activating additional capacity on a previously unused frequency that wasn't already configured properly in the PRL or buying another carrier and merging the networks).

As far as I know, the PRL doesn't impact LTE service since, only CDMA.

I did have one issue that was fixed by a PRL update recently, but it was relating to Verizon integrating the Alltel cell sites into their network and changing other things at the same time. Now, I still have other network issues but getting into those would be off topic.

In other words, if you aren't having problems, a PRL update will probably do nothing for you. If you are having signal related issues, it might work in some rare cases, but this is not extremely common.

I'm in a 3G only are. But yeah this isn't a high priority for me.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
A PRL, or Preferred Roaming List, applies to every network technology and can and does improve connectivity in some cases. That includes 2G/3G/4G technology

What a PRL does is give your phone a hard copy list of towers owned by Verizon and ones used by roaming partners so that no matter what state the phone is in, it can easily locate and authenticate on the closest tower. It also determines the priority by which your phone searches for a specific tower when used in conjunction with the home cell site identifier, or SID.

The PRLs work in tiers: Alltel CDMA, Verizon CDMA, Verizon/Alltel Hybrid CDMA, and Verizon CDMA/LTE. The tiers are designated by the first two digits of the PRL. In the LTE phones the tier is 15xxx now, but was 14xxx when it was first released.

In theory, all phones of the same tier *should* be the same PRL, but I noticed this is not the case. This also does not appear to be affected by the plan you have either. I only notice a somewhat common trend depending on the billing region you are in that I notice (NE, S, MW, W), but even that is no guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress