Thunderbolt will not do OTA updates from 2.2.1

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I searched this forum and others for this particular answer. While there are certain variations of my issue posted on this forum, nothing addresses it specifically. I believe this problem is unique and I don't know where to begin. I know new updates were released, withdrawn, and re-released by Verizon lately. I am not concerned with getting an update the day its released. Here is my problem.......

Using the menus Settings → Software update there are two choices, "Status" and "Check new". When I click the "Check new" button, I get the message, "Checking for new software available now." The "OTA Device Management" banner also floats at the top of the screen for a few seconds. Then nothing happens. No message telling me I have the latest version. No message telling me an update is available. Nothing... Here's what I have done so far:

- I have tried the battery cover off forcing it to 1X and trying the ?check new? button that way
- I have tried turning off the mobile network and using wifi only and the ?check new? button that way
- I have tried using 4G only the ?check new? button that way
- I have tried the "checkin" procedure (*#*#4636#*#*) Which does successfully indicate the device has been checked in, but doesn't change the way the phone behaves.
- I have tried the update from safe mode
- I did a factory reset and but the phone back in its factory state

The handset works fine in every other arena (3G, 4G LTE, Bluetooth, media, etc) which leads me to think software is corrupt. There is another issue that leads me to this conclusion. Not sure if the two are related but if you click the ?Status? botton above the ?check new? button, this is the screen that I get.

Source: Verizon Wireless
Name:
Code:
Date:
Time:

Shouldn?t I be getting more options?

The phone is not rooted, nor do I want it rooted. I am not savvy enough to fix it if something goes wrong.

Android Version: 2.2.1
Software Number: 1.70.605.0

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Thanks,

Roc

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
That would be great. Thank you very much. While your at it, step by step directions for installing manually would be appreciated. I have been a Blackberry User for the last 6 years and I was pretty good at swapping OS's and leaked OS's. Android is a different animal and I have a long way to go.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Since you said you just did a factory reset, you have nothing to lose. So... why not try Settings | Applications | App Manager | All | Scroll to "Updater" and clear cache/data. Then try again. I don't know if this will work, but it is something that came to mind that you didn't try yet.

Also, I believe this behavior was noted in previous updates here and was reported to "eventually" clear itself (as in, when VZW decides to notify you, you'll be updated). IOW, the push update will work even when the manual update behaves like this. You might want to check back in earlier threads to see if I'm remembering it right.

-Frank

Reactions: rocco225

Porac

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is the exact same way, including there being no status info. My phone is refurbished so I'm assuming the person that had it before me might've done something to it even though i would imagine that during the refurbishing process they reinstall the software. I've never rooted it or anything.

I'm kinda hesitant to download the update cause I'm worried it'll wipe my phone (plus I had bad luck when I started messing around with my X's software).

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I think you just need to be patient. I haven't gotten the update to GB yet either, but if history is any indication, this is par for the course. When MR1 was pushed out, it took a week to get to me, and because of the issues everyone had, I never downloaded it. MR2 took 5 days to get to me. VZW pulled the first GB update before I got it. If I don't see the update within the next week, then I'll just flash the RUU.

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Since you said you just did a factory reset, you have nothing to lose. So... why not try Settings | Applications | App Manager | All | Scroll to "Updater" and clear cache/data. Then try again. I don't know if this will work, but it is something that came to mind that you didn't try yet.

Also, I believe this behavior was noted in previous updates here and was reported to "eventually" clear itself (as in, when VZW decides to notify you, you'll be updated). IOW, the push update will work even when the manual update behaves like this. You might want to check back in earlier threads to see if I'm remembering it right.

-Frank

cleared it and nothing.

Alma

May 8, 2011
Visit site
OP, my TB has the exact same issues as yours, still has the out-of-the-box software, has been unable to get OTA updates since Day 1.

I have been reading a lot about rooting and flashing ROMs for the past couple of months and plan to flash a ROM for the first time tonight.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the feedback. If I'm not the only one having these issues then I shouldn't worry too much about it. Do me a favor. If you're stuck on 2.2.1 and your status button indicates the same results in my original post then please let me know. I have two other Co workers with thunderbolts and they have data in their status fields. Settings-->software update-->status

The only data in my status bank is "source: Verizon Wireless" all other fields are blank. Are your handsets the same? I'd send a screenshot if I could find an app that could do screenshots on non rooted thunderbolts. If this is normal behavior I'll end this discussion right now. I convinced myself that had corrupted software.

Roc

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could tell you that, but I have info in all of the fields. However, prior to the MR2 OTA, all of my fields were blank.

One other thing, and I could be wrong about this, but I swear I remember someone contacting Verizon customer service and asking them to push the update to their phone when the MR1 was released. If you don't get this one in the next couple of days, you might give that a shot.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is correct for your status to be blank before you do an update. Mine was too.

-Frank

Yes. After MR1 it was filled in briefly. Same with MR2.... Status blanked out a while ago.

To OP, have you tried pulling battery and SIM for 5 minutes?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

n8vtexan

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine also shows up the same way under status

Only Verizon Wireless filled in under source, all other fields empty.

Still running Android 2.2.1, build number 1.66.605.2 CL343045 release-keys

Waiting eagerly for update, no luck when checking manually so far.

riversmallie

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. I spoke with Verizon Support, who seemed to be fairly knowledgeable. They indicated that the roll out was sequential based on serial number. I picked up my Thunderbolt in May, which makes me wonder if they just haven't pushed it to me yet.

Anyone that is having this same problem, care to share when their Thunderbolt was purchased?

I have tried all of the items mentioned above and then some. Nothing seems to work.

I do find it interesting that the software update page of the VZW support page still indicates that the update is "Coming Soon". I would think that they will take that down and post the software after the roll out is complete.

Believe me, I feel your frustation.

Bruinfanjb

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Tbolt yesterday and it was on 2.2.1 when I set it up. This morning I did the check for new software and the update was there. I am now running 2.3.4.

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. I spoke with Verizon Support, who seemed to be fairly knowledgeable. They indicated that the roll out was sequential based on serial number. I picked up my Thunderbolt in May, which makes me wonder if they just haven't pushed it to me yet.

Anyone that is having this same problem, care to share when their Thunderbolt was purchased?

Mine was acquired 2nd hand, but the manufacture date stamped under the battery cover is July, 2011.

neimot

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same problem...
Both my mom's and brother's phones got the update and we got them at the same time so this is a mystery to me :| Anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

DiscoStu44

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem as the OP, only I have info in my status fields. Manual update still doesn't work. Still no update pushed to my phone. Is it possible they haven't fnished the rollout yet? I've had it since April, so the serial-number-based rollout seems unlikely, unless they're doing it in reverse order.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38