What phone will they get? Thoughts

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
My friend is having problems with their thunderbolt. It won't turn on. She has troubleshooted it and it still doesn't power on. She has the $1.99 extended warranty. When she goes into the Verizon store what will they offer her?

I also have the Thunderbolt and am wondering if a year from now I have problems with my Thunderbolt what will the Verizon store do. I also have the $1.99 extended warranty.

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
you will only be offered another thunderbolt, They will not offer you a different phone. Some people who have had multiple replacements may be offered another model but usually its replaced with same phone.

The 1.99 warranty only means you are covered for manufacturer defects not to upgrade your phone...

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm wondering about. I don't think our store has the Thunderbolt anymore. So what happens if the Thunderbolt is not carried in the store anymore? I was told the $1.99 covers defects as you said. So what happens if a defect occurs after they no longer carry the Thunderbolt.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
They'll need to call Verizon and file a warranty claim and Verizon will mail out a refurbished Thunderbolt. No real reason to even go to the store.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
At this point, you'd definitely get a Thunderbolt replacement (refurb). A year from now? Probably the same, unless they are truly out of stock (and not just at the store you happen to live near). Of course, if you have a problem after a full year, it is more likely to NOT be a factory defect that is covered by warranty anyway. Possible yes, I'm just saying that most factory defects are noticed much sooner.

There are exceptions of course.... If you've had multiple issues/replacements, they will sometimes allow you to choose a different model, but you'd probably have to specifically request it (and they are not obligated to honor that request either). They will also sometimes allow you to do an early upgrade if you're having issues, assuming you're willing to pay for the new phone and renew your contract. The latter being the more likely case in the OP's "a year from now" scenario.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt is still very easy to get. Bought my wife one the other day from a Verizon store. I'm sure you'll be getting another Thunderbolt as a replacement.

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
They didn't have it on display, but they had 3 remaining Thunderbolts at the store. They couldn't figure out what was wrong and why it wouldn't turn on. They inspected it, found no visible damage or tampering so they gave her one of the new remaining ones they had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress