Could the Thunderbolt not be release until March due to the iPhone release?

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
So Verizon gets no money from the sale of a handset? Really?? Study their financial statements.
The profit margins from phone sales are minimal compared to the amount of money that they make off of wireless services every month; why do you think that they subsidize phones? Do they like giving money away? No, the reason why they do it is because the subsidy model makes them more money than selling cell service alone.
Go back and accurately read what I said earlier. Really, go back and look. Here's what I said: Apple will drop a new phone now, then the LTE Androids will drop 3-4 weeks later, then the Verizon iPhone will hit after them in - allow me to exactly quote myself - "late June". Read what I actually said more carefully next time
I read it as iPhone. I agree with the fact that Apple will launch an LTE version along with the latest refresh on AT&T.
Furthermore, as for your claim that Apple would not release models so quickly... er, they do it all the time. It's not MY hypothesis, it's actually called the "Apple Model" and is taught in business schools around the country. I know, cuz that's where I learned about it and conducted case studies on it. They have a loyal fan base that buys any new product they release, and they exploit that fact to create upwards of 60% profit margins. How else do you think they have the second largest market cap value on Wall St.?? From their 6% market share on computers?? Please...
Apple releases models in relatively quick succession, but they still space their product launches out with plenty of planning. A month's worth of separation between two product launches in the same category simply will not fly in Cupertino. Such an even has not really occurred, ever. Product refreshes happen about every year.
EDIT: As soon as I published this comment Engadget themselves warned people against buying this new Verizon iPhone since Apple will be dropping ANOTHER newer one later this summer, thereby agreeing perfectly with what I said:

Verizon iPhone: everything you need to know -- Engadget
I said the same thing. I don't know what the point of that was.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Not saying your wrong because I don't know but given apples previous steps I give them a year before they launch a 4g iPhone if only for battery management. Especially hearing blackmanx talking about 4 hour battery life using an lte device I think apple will take their time

I don't think they'll wait that long. They're perfecting power management with their newer products, and they've shown they know how to minimize the size of internal components to make more space for battery. Hell, if they had to devote 2/3 of internal space in an iPhone for better battery life, I bet they would do it.

kingdomkid

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this has any significance but on the press released picture of the thunderbolt had the date Jan 15 on it and the weather was for New York. Is that just arbitrary or an indication of anything?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Really doubt you'll see it before March. When asked after the Verizon press event at CES on thursday, they responded that "some" devices would be available as soon as March. Whether that be that mif hotspots, tablets or an actual handset is still up in the air.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Really doubt you'll see it before March. When asked after the Verizon press event at CES on thursday, they responded that "some" devices would be available as soon as March. Whether that be that mif hotspots, tablets or an actual handset is still up in the air.

I agree. Steve Jobs is notorious for having the strictest requirements on exclusive vendors that sell his products (which is the reason Verizon turned down the very first iPhone years ago, forcing Apple to go to AT&T). If the Verizon iPhone truly does get announced next week, then you can bet your bippy that Jobs added requirements to Verizon's contract that his iPhone gets to be sold first.

There's no way Steve-O would allow all the hot new 4G Androids to drop before his beloved iPhone did (which all the major blogs and forums suggest will only be 3G). Otherwise he would continue to lose future sales to potential customers who will be swayed away from the iPhone by Verizon's upcoming 4G "Droid" push. He's already lost millions of potential customers to Android, there's no way he would risk even more by letting his 3G iPhone drop AFTER all the hot new 4G LTE phones.

Solution to Jobs' dilemma here: Get his phone to launch first, then get Verizon to change their return period to 14 days and remove the 12-month upgrade and NE2 policies in order to secure and lock in his iPhone sales.

Suddenly it all makes so much sense...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
iPhone with LTE will not show up this summer, it will be at least 2012 or 2013 before its out the door. If you look at Apples history of minor updates over each generation and the fact that LTE is only just rolling out on Verizon, AT&T has yet to start and Jobs demands conformity and perfection. He won't risk any further stink on his phone after the iPwn4 launch.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this has any significance but on the press released picture of the thunderbolt had the date Jan 15 on it and the weather was for New York. Is that just arbitrary or an indication of anything?

good observation. great find among all of this rubbish about the iphone.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Solution to Jobs' dilemma here: Get his phone to launch first, then get Verizon to change their return period to 14 days and remove the 12-month upgrade and NE2 policies in order to secure and lock in his iPhone sales.

I really hope that's not the reason for Verizon's new policies. That's an awful lot of change for just one phone, especially given the success of Android phones recently.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
That just makes me dislike the Iphone even more...if they have that much control over every others phones release dates...

Doubt it was Apple. A decision like that would have made been Verizon, since they're the only ones that would know their device roadmap.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I really hope that's not the reason for Verizon's new policies. That's an awful lot of change for just one phone, especially given the success of Android phones recently.

Verizon lost the iPhone the first go around, and they weren't going to make the same mistakes twice.

That being said, I think those decisions were made as a result of the new LTE devices and NOT the iPhone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
With a projection of 9-11 million phones sold, of course with no comment on how many would be new additions to Verizon its going to put a demand on the network. At least we will have 4G before Apple does and have something special they don't.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
With a projection of 9-11 million phones sold, of course with no comment on how many would be new additions to Verizon its going to put a demand on the network. At least we will have 4G before Apple does and have something special they don't.

You mean be Verizon's guinea pigs? ;)