Thunderbolt Update Rumor

petestl

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Who doesn't love a good rumor - so here's what I got from our IT guy who was working directly with an HTC rep on getting ready for rolling out Thunderbolts to our employees:

There is a big update coming out "soon", and will include Skype and software updates to improve battery life among other tweaks and fixes.

Skype - it's the reason they kept delaying the launch, and finally the decision was made to launch without it. Because it was making everybody at the Android Central forums mad that it was delayed. (Ok - I just made up that last part - but I like the sound of it).

I'll bet our IT guy thinks he's cool......Actually heard this yesterday morning before the Skype leak....sounds plausible...

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are rumors. Some ITs like to blow smoke. Whether it's next week or next month is rumor but a big update is imminent. The skype unofficial release working is evidence of that.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well and Bennnnn said that the GB update was coming in May or June. Maybe everyone at HTC and Verizon got their act together and are actually closer to the update than originally thought? Maybe the lack of pressure now that the phone is out is allowing them to work more efficiently.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry it won't change the ui. It's far too soon for that. It will just fix some bugs and and give you something to show of to your friend (skype).

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
All I care about is Netflix. I just don't understand what's so awesome about Skype. There are a few programs that do the same thing.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
All I care about is Netflix. I just don't understand what's so awesome about Skype. There are a few programs that do the same thing.

Skype is widely used as the standard webcam client. It's a big deal because this is the very first over network non wifi video chat ever. Anywhere you want. On the go. I also like phones for webchat much more than laptops or desktops. It feels much more natural and the camera quality is much better than my laptop webcam. If you want to know what the kickstand is good for it's for video conferencing at anyones house.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Skype is widely used as the standard webcam client. It's a big deal because this is the very first over network non wifi video chat ever. Anywhere you want. On the go. I also like phones for webchat much more than laptops or desktops. It feels much more natural and the camera quality is much better than my laptop webcam. If you want to know what the kickstand is good for it's for video conferencing at anyones house.

Can tango be used over 4g?

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
And here I thought my TB was delayed due to horrible batterylife. I'm confident it was delayed for multiple reasons.

Folks are reporting that the bionic is having issues with battery life and it packs a nineteen hundred plus battery.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
No! I'm not ready for an update yet! I'm still learning this device!

lol...I went from mastering it then moved onto ADW Ex then back to Sense. Those I still feel like noob because I think back and go wtf was doing when I had my G1. Sort shame call myself android user how little I did with my G1. I rooted the phone but never got any farther than that. Lol lame those making it up with the Thunderbolt.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
well.. we know we won't see sense 3.0,(based on the article from Phandroid) but wonder when we will be getting the Gingerbread 2.3 on out T-Bolts....

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Sense 3.0 has only been seen on dual core devices.
Gingerbread has only been seen on HTC devices with Sense 2.5.

Sense 2.5 in May? 50-50.

xknight

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Skype is defnitely cool...but someone said the camera on the phone was better than their webcam....you must have a really terrible webcam, because my phone front camera is wayyyyy worse quality than the webcam i have had for 6 years. the rear camera is great but i don't think you can use that one with skype plus you wouldn't be able to see who you are talking with.

my battery is awesome now that i got the lte onoff app. I now have my phone on for 15-19 hours per day and still have about 50% charge when i plug it in at night. it made a hugggeeee difference. But if they can make the battery life even better, that would be awesome. i am testing having skype on all day today to see how that impacts battery life.

what i am really hoping for is a fix for some of the other issues like the killing of the mic when you plug in headphones and other issues like that.

Lynner

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Skype is defnitely cool...but someone said the camera on the phone was better than their webcam....you must have a really terrible webcam, because my phone front camera is wayyyyy worse quality than the webcam i have had for 6 years. the rear camera is great but i don't think you can use that one with skype plus you wouldn't be able to see who you are talking with.

my battery is awesome now that i got the lte onoff app. I now have my phone on for 15-19 hours per day and still have about 50% charge when i plug it in at night. it made a hugggeeee difference. But if they can make the battery life even better, that would be awesome. i am testing having skype on all day today to see how that impacts battery life.

what i am really hoping for is a fix for some of the other issues like the killing of the mic when you plug in headphones and other issues like that.

You can use the rear camera with skype works great but, like you said then you can't see who you are talking with. I used it just a few nights ago to show family our new baby.