Fold 4 or S22U

nmacmil

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for some input on which phone to get. I'm a long time Apple user switching to the Android platform. Getting bored of Apple's "innovations". They make great phones, but it's been the same experience for years.

I currently have the Fold 4 and love it. Multi-tasking is amazing, media consumption is like nothing else on a phone. I'm liking the narrower cover screen for quick replies, notification checking and easy one handed use. My only complaint so far is the battery life. Coming from a 13 Pro Max, I was spoiled with amazing battery life, all day and usually into the next. I've made as many tweaks as I can to improve the battery in the Fold4, 60htz, turn off 5G, removed the bloatware, put unused apps to sleep or removed them, shut down background syncing. I'm currently getting between 4.5-5 SoT. Coming from the iPhone with the 8-10 SoT hours I was getting, I'd rather not have to carry a battery pack with me as I'm not always in the office.

My typical usage is lots of emails, spreadsheet viewing, a couple hours of calls and texting. Some media viewing when work is slow. Don't have Facebook, I heard that app can drain the battery, limited Instagram and the odd time killer game.

I'm looking for anyone who has used both the Fold4 and S22U for opinions on battery life between the two, I don't necessarily need the big screen the Fold4 offers, although it is nice,just a battery that will get me through the day without needing to charge up midway through my work day.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
I had both and can say that I'm getting better battery life on my Z4 than my S22U. However, everyone's usage is different, so SOTs are going to be different as well. I do a lot of YouTube, email, massaging, and watch Live MLB from time to time. My SOT on my S22U was roughly 5.5 to 6. SOT on my Z4 is 6.5 to 7. Although the battery is smaller on the Z4, the new processor has really stood out for the Z4.

Neither are comparable to the iPhone 13 max. So if it's strictly battery you're after, go with the iPhone

Hope this helps

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had both and can say that I'm getting better battery life on my Z4 than my S22U. However, everyone's usage is different, so SOTs are going to be different as well. I do a lot of YouTube, email, massaging, and watch Live MLB from time to time. My SOT on my S22U was roughly 5.5 to 6. SOT on my Z4 is 6.5 to 7. Although the battery is smaller on the Z4, the new processor has really stood out for the Z4.

Neither are comparable to the iPhone 13 max. So if it's strictly battery you're after, go with the iPhone

Hope this helps
We need some tips on how to get that same SOT that you're getting, lol.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Lol....Best tips I get are from this forum and YouTube. I usually disable or force stop certain apps that I don't normally use. Outside of that, I give a few days for the phone to optimize my patterns.

I did notice, that when I first got the phone, I would top off the battery throughout the day, and my life wasn't that great. I stopped doing that and surprisingly it got much better. I should've left it alone to do its thing, I guess.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for some input on which phone to get. I'm a long time Apple user switching to the Android platform. Getting bored of Apple's "innovations". They make great phones, but it's been the same experience for years.

I currently have the Fold 4 and love it. Multi-tasking is amazing, media consumption is like nothing else on a phone. I'm liking the narrower cover screen for quick replies, notification checking and easy one handed use. My only complaint so far is the battery life. Coming from a 13 Pro Max, I was spoiled with amazing battery life, all day and usually into the next. I've made as many tweaks as I can to improve the battery in the Fold4, 60htz, turn off 5G, removed the bloatware, put unused apps to sleep or removed them, shut down background syncing. I'm currently getting between 4.5-5 SoT. Coming from the iPhone with the 8-10 SoT hours I was getting, I'd rather not have to carry a battery pack with me as I'm not always in the office.

My typical usage is lots of emails, spreadsheet viewing, a couple hours of calls and texting. Some media viewing when work is slow. Don't have Facebook, I heard that app can drain the battery, limited Instagram and the odd time killer game.

I'm looking for anyone who has used both the Fold4 and S22U for opinions on battery life between the two, I don't necessarily need the big screen the Fold4 offers, although it is nice,just a battery that will get me through the day without needing to charge up midway through my work day.
If you're liking the fold 4 I would just stay with it. Battery life is individual based. I've been told that iPhones usually get better battery life then android phones, but I can't say for sure since I don't use iPhones.

I've used both phones and I think the fold 4 is on par with the S22U for battery. Fold 3 was not as good on battery life IMO. Even with worse battery life on the fold 3 I always went back to the fold 3 on the same day I went to the S22U, I just preferred the fold The fold 4 is all around a better phone then the fold 3, but the fold 3 is good also. This is why I say, if you're happy with the fold 4 I would stay with it.

With this said, if you ask this in the S22U page you will get the S22U is better. I think both phones are good, biggest question is do you want the folding feature?

nmacmil

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I still have a little time left in my return window. I'm still going to keep tweaking and see if I can get it to where I'm wanting it. I wasn't aware that android will self optimize based on usage so I'll give it a little longer and see if that helps any.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Remember it takes about 3-4 days sometime a week for the new ZF4 to learn your habit. Also, the app not used will eventually go to sleep and won't get updated. First and foremost, get rid of FB and use WEB instead This will stop draining your battery.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
We're vacationing in Spain and this is the only time I've seen the battery drain fast because I'm taking so many pictures. Even so, I'm left with around 30% after a ful day of sightseeing and that's after about 12 hours of use.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You will never find the battery life an iPhone, especially the Pro Max, can give you from any high end flagship Android device. They are completely different in the way they run apps and it's a trade off if you want that better Multitasking capabilities with Android and having more apps run in the background for more instant app refreshes. When going to Android devices you also have to consider how much faster they also charge when compared to iPhones so you can easily top off when needed throughout the day. Both great devices but you have to choose which device best suites your needs and use case.

I have all three devices and for battery life
IPhone 13 Pro Max > Z Fold 4 > S22U
If I do use the Zfold4 to watch a lot of video unfolded then it will die qucker than my S22U.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I had both...traded my S22U for the Fold 4 and I have to say the Fold 4 has better battery life I'm sure it's strictly because of the processor. With that said both phones are different and both offers benefits one over the other. I found with the Fold you have to customize it to take advantage of its form factor and if you do it correctly no phone will come close to its ability. The S22u is more of a conventional phone only true benefit is it has the Spen built and if that's something you use regularly then maybe that's the phone for you. Oh yeah and a 100x Zoom is pretty amazing.