Crying Wolf over 1x/LTE Outage

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I know I might get flammed for this, but so be it.

There are over 10 threads regarding the LTE/1x issue in the first two pages.
Everything from Fixes, the same one multiple times, to rants about people's lives being ruined....oh, the humanity.

Is it just me, or has this been blown just a hair out of proportion.

We've had LTE modems for a few months, LTE hotspot for a few weeks and 1 LTE phone for a month and a half.
An outage back in March lasted a few hours. Life went on.
This one lasted about 24 hours, give or take....the planet is still spinning.

On top of that...people started new topic after new topic about being stuck in 1x...when a simple read on ANY of the forums would've let them know everyone is having the same issue...I'm sure the mods have had a fun time cleaning up those threads/combining them.

If you're with me, thank me or post a comment. If your life was utterly ruined and you ran back to take your phone back to VZW...that's cool too. That just means a price drop is coming soon....

Open to your thoughts.

bdragon

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you on this one. I stopped reading em after I noticed it wasn't just me and there is nothing I can do about it. Ppl fail realize that google is their friend and reading is fundamental.

TimeLike

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
This one is still going on. I'm in Greater Cincy and have seen a 4G icon for about a minute in the past 28 hours. The rest of the time has been 1x or nothing.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
It would have been great to have just one thread on the outage. I didn't understand why people had to keep adding their own threads on the subject.

sent from my Thunderbolt

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It would have been great to have just one thread on the outage. I didn't understand why people had to keep adding their own threads on the subject.

sent from my Thunderbolt

Cint... you left your BB Bold for a Thunderbolt??? I thought you were a die-hard BB user... or did the BB Die???

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Living through the outage was no issue for me even though i had a 5 hour ea way trip where i could have used faster data. What was an issue was grabbing my phone in teh AM on my way out and trying to figure it out on the way. It was mid-day before i found out that this was not me, that it was a widespread issue. a VZW text would have gone a long way to keeping me from wasting a lot of time and effort troubleshooting...

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Agreed.

I saw I had 1x yesterday morning and called VZW about it. They told me it was nationwide and they were working the issue to get the service back up.

I jumped on AC, saw it was already posted and moved on.

Sometimes technology doesn't work.:cool:

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
a VZW text would have gone a long way to keeping me from wasting a lot of time and effort troubleshooting...

I think that would've caused more panic and issues.

VZW would have to determine which of their customers have Tbolts, then they'd have to break it on down further to who is in LTE coverage and who is not...on top of that, and this isn't a bad thing, some people already have LTE turned off and ehrpd turned off as well.

If you look at that from a larger scale, IMO...that would cause more panic than good.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You wrote all of that in response to people having dramatic reactions? There's a pattern to things that you'll see eventually.

Exactly. Now instead of ranting about an outage, we're ranting about other people ranting about the outage? How is this thread any different that the "10" other topics about the outage?

As mods have said since the internets were born, "if you don't want to read something over and over, then DON'T READ IT."

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Not eventually...I've been on tons of forums for years. Only recently android forums...
Like anything else, the more members, the more mass hysteria when someone gets a hangnail.

Not ranting...just discussing. And I'm glad this thread has remained civil.

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

VZW would have to determine which of their customers have Tbolts, then they'd have to break it on down further to who is in LTE coverage and who is not...on top of that, and this isn't a bad thing, some people already have LTE turned off and ehrpd turned off as well.

If you look at that from a larger scale, IMO...that would cause more panic than good.
Actually i'm not in a 4G area and this affected me also. Woke up to seeing only 1x. eHRPD is closely linked to 4G in terms of it being up or down. So when 4G goes down, so does 3g for those connected to eHRPD and not Rev.A. So it would have made sense to send it out to all thunderbolt owners regarding this outage, and all fugure phones that are LTE/eHRPD enabled.

I woke up, saw 1x, and figured it was because of an outage again on 4g/eHRPD and forced my phone down to Rev.A to get 3g back until it's fixed.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I think your though process mirrors theirs. They probably assesed that telling people would cause more confusion since I am sure many people just didnt notice at all. For me however it would have helped. I also think that it is always good to fess up about issues. There are probably a lot of people who think this phone is just slow - because they don't know that a back end problem caused issues... A way around that would be a ntwork status - tuned to the device - page that i could hit up before getting into troubleshooting mode. This happened with my bberry as well. No email leading to a lot of resending service books and checking online only to find out that RIM was having issues... It doesn't help that when you are on the road the device that is having issues is the one that you are using to research solutions

ClassaN0va

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This just screams "Hey I wanted to feel important, so I'm going to make my own thread"

Everything you said could've been said in the other thread.
daboard1_kanye.jpg

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
This just screams "Hey I wanted to feel important, so I'm going to make my own thread"

Everything you said could've been said in the other thread.
daboard1_kanye.jpg

Really? Ok...pick one of the 10 threads about this one topic and I'll ask to have this merged into that one.

Now you can feel important for accusing me to want to be important.
Kayne W out...