Thunderbolt on GSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalabok7

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Two questions.

Does the Verzion HTC Thunderbolt work on any GSM network like the Blackberry Tour?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
umm to answer the question more technically,, 4G is a GSM type network hence why the phone has a SIM card. It is designed to be a world phone verizon designed the software to hide the GSM options. The phone works the same as a Droid 2 global. The biggest clue is that the thunderbolt can be SIM unlocked to work with any GSM carrier. Verizon gave me the unlock code..lol

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
nope totally wrong. the band that lte uses is the wrong frequency. then most other carriers use.
umm to answer the question more technically,, 4G is a GSM type network hence why the phone has a SIM card. It is designed to be a world phone verizon designed the software to hide the GSM options. The phone works the same as a Droid 2 global. The biggest clue is that the thunderbolt can be SIM unlocked to work with any GSM carrier. Verizon gave me the unlock code..lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
verizon and sprint only use CDMA whereas every other carrier uses GSM. CDMA is a great signal base for phones but it offers a very narrow bandwidth. Verizon and sprint have been slowly making the transition to GSM for years. Another downside to CDMA is that phones cannot operate to CDMA signals at once and it has to do with the how the phones register on the hpone network. Inside phone like the Droid 2 Global and the thunderbolt, the SIM is mainly used for the internet connection hence why you can now talk while surfing the web. ATT has been able to do this for years because there voice service runs on GSM 800 and they switch there ISP to run GSM 2100. The change allowed the phone to truly multitask ie voice talk while web surfing. Both verizon and sprint have begun to embrace this and as such the phone do voice over the usual CDMA and data of GSM. like i stated earlier, verizon provided me with the SIM unlock code to my thunderbolt. I have unlocked it and tested it with a T-Mobile sim card and yes i could make phone calls.. Bottom like is that if a phone comes equiped with a SIM card, it means it can use GSM if it is SIM unlocked.

bmw3wags

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
verizon and sprint only use CDMA whereas every other carrier uses GSM. CDMA is a great signal base for phones but it offers a very narrow bandwidth. Verizon and sprint have been slowly making the transition to GSM for years. Another downside to CDMA is that phones cannot operate to CDMA signals at once and it has to do with the how the phones register on the hpone network. Inside phone like the Droid 2 Global and the thunderbolt, the SIM is mainly used for the internet connection hence why you can now talk while surfing the web. ATT has been able to do this for years because there voice service runs on GSM 800 and they switch there ISP to run GSM 2100. The change allowed the phone to truly multitask ie voice talk while web surfing. Both verizon and sprint have begun to embrace this and as such the phone do voice over the usual CDMA and data of GSM. like i stated earlier, verizon provided me with the SIM unlock code to my thunderbolt. I have unlocked it and tested it with a T-Mobile sim card and yes i could make phone calls.. Bottom like is that if a phone comes equiped with a SIM card, it means it can use GSM if it is SIM unlocked.

Your have no idea what you are talking about just because it has a sim doesnt mean it can work any GSM carrier or else it would also work on Nextel/Sprint Iden network to. No way can you use it on t-mobile Verizon sim is for 4G LTE on their 700mhz band it does not i repeat DOES NOT support any GSM bands such as T-mobile or AT&T or any other for that matter this guy is a troll it has no GSM support.(Yes LTE is the an Evolution of GSM but not actually GSM.) He has no idea what he is talking about. And saying he could use it on T-Mobile is proof that he is a troll. There is no way he could have actually made a call on T-Mobile as the Thunderbolts Chipset only supports CDMA with a special LTE chipset added that only supports Verizon 700mhz LTE. NO OTHER BANDS OR FREQUENCY OR OTHER TECHNOLOGY OTHER THEN VERIZON'S LTE AND CDMA.

IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY GSM HARDWARE!!!!!!! No idea where you got that it was a software thing....

PS. everyone should report this guy

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
LTE is not GSM. The Thunderbolt runs on 700 MHz LTE and 850/1900 CDMA. It does NOT support ANY GSM/UMTS/HSPA bands. You CANNOT take it to ANY GSM provider. If you were able to unlock it, you MIGHT be able to take it to another LTE carrier, but ONLY if that carrier also uses 700 MHz for LTE (for example, possibly AT&T once they launch LTE), but even then you'd be able to use it for data ONLY.

Reactions: bmw3wags

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
also cdma supports both voice and data. but vzw has just started using it on the new LG phone. it will be slightly slower but works.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Nonsense.

OP -- The Thunderbolt has no GSM radio. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.