Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finally broke the 50Mbps barrier.

Now I was around the same tower that I was near last night and I got so close last night, but tonight I finally broke the 50Mbps barrier. I was getting much better ping times tonight as well. I must admit that I was probably only about 300 yards from this tower, so I don't get these speeds on a regular basis, but I still wanted to at least break 50.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's crazy. Good job

ROM
    GPA19

Need a roommate?

ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Yea but your batter... oh wait, I'm not a troll! Haha, that's amazing man!
    -SoDev

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Where do you live? I'm in Houston, TX and the best I get is 32mb down, but that is mostly in the early morning, around 2am. Are you perhaps located in a less crowded location with fewer users?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    Where do you live? I'm in Houston, TX and the best I get is 32mb down, but that is mostly in the early morning, around 2am. Are you perhaps located in a less crowded location with fewer users?
    I'm in North St. Louis County. This tower is in Florissant on one of the busiest streets in the St. Louis metro area (Lindbergh Blvd).

Quote Originally Posted by WebDevAnalyst View Post
    I'm in North St. Louis County. This tower is in Florissant on one of the busiest streets in the St. Louis metro area (Lindbergh Blvd).
    That's crazy! I work in downtown STL (Washington Ave) and only get about 14 Mps.
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Nook Color running CM7
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupportGuy View Post
    That's crazy! I work in downtown STL (Washington Ave) and only get about 14 Mps.
    Being downtown you probably have a good bit of interference. I work off of Olive and 270 and I get between 20Mbps-35Mbps.

ROM
    N/A

I split time between Irving, California; Seattle, WA; and Boise, ID. Seattle gets the best downlinks at 25 Mbps, Boise is the worst at around 1 Mbps (because its still 3G for another two weeks).
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Dang Scottsdale/Phoenix is barely getting 10mbps. What the heck.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

I only get around 3-4 mbps in Cleveland. I'm jealous

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    If I contribute something at all semi-useful please give me a thanks
    Note: I am not an expert, I just think I am
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

For those of you getting low speeds, try a different server. The Chicago server is 250 miles away, but as you can see it shows it as less than 50 miles away. I'm thinking the fiber lines on the St. Louis towers probably go to Chicago.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    Last edited by WebDevAnalyst; 06-02-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Thanked by:
    dms76 

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

For those of you getting low speeds, try a different server. The Chicago server is 250 miles away, but as you can see it shows it as less than 50 miles away. I'm thinking the fiber lines on the St. Louis towers probably go to Chicago.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    Wow thanks that was a wonderful idea! I am not ranging from 15DL/3UL

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    Dang Scottsdale/Phoenix is barely getting 10mbps. What the heck.
    I thought the same, but then realized that the Speedtest app gives bad results. Go to speakeasy.net/speedtest/ on your phone for true results. I was pulling 22 Mbps in the Queen Creek area.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by natrix View Post
    I thought the same, but then realized that the Speedtest app gives bad results. Go to speakeasy.net/speedtest/ on your phone for true results. I was pulling 22 Mbps in the Queen Creek area.
    Like I said try a different server. If you find the right server on the Speedtest.net app you will get good results. I haven't tried the Speakeasy speed test when I was near this tower but I've done it and compared it to my other speed test results and they were the same. Oh and the closest server to me on the Speakeasy speed test is Chicago also. So again it's all about the servers. Since they updated the Speedtest.net app to work with LTE it's been pretty spot on if you use the same servers as the Speakeasy speed test.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by natrix View Post
    Ha, I just found out that Ookla operates both Speedtest.net and Speakeasy.net/speedtest. So again, it's all about the servers.

I also did a comparison between the 2 here at work.

Speedtest.net app: 34.06Mbps down 4.23Mbps up
    Speakeasy.net: 32.14Mbps down 4.12Mbps up

I would say that's pretty darn close. Both using the Chicago servers.

ROM
    Stock (For now)

I get >20 mbps pretty consistently in and around Boston
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by EricWiz View Post
    I get >20 mbps pretty consistently in and around Boston
    Oh same here in St. Louis, I just don't normally get over 40Mbps on a regular basis. Like I said I was less than 1000 feet from this tower.

My average is probably around 25Mbps.

ROM
    Stock (For now)

That is crazy with the 50+ for sure! It's funny you mention speakeasy - that is what I normally test against. I have the app as well and I do find that they are both pretty consistent and consistently similar in result.

Wow, 50 is crazy. The highest I ever saw was 22. But in the last month, I haven't seen anything higher than 6 (tested around Chicago, and in Columbus).
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
    Wow, 50 is crazy. The highest I ever saw was 22. But in the last month, I haven't seen anything higher than 6 (tested around Chicago, and in Columbus).
    Maybe they are upgrading some stuff. I noticed that I wasn't getting the crazy fast speeds that I normally got right after the nationwide outage. I was still getting above 10, but I would normally get over 20. Then a couple of weeks later I started getting even faster speeds.

For instance a month ago I couldn't get over 28Mbps at this same exact tower and now everytime I'm around there I test and I get between 45-50Mbps every single time.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

They've definitely been upgrading the network here I believe. I would be lucky to have sub 115ms ping times just a couple of weeks ago and now I'm getting sub 90ms ping times pretty regularly.
    Pretty good member

Like I said try a different server. If you find the right server on the Speedtest.net app you will get good results. I haven't tried the Speakeasy speed test when I was near this tower but I've done it and compared it to my other speed test results and they were the same. Oh and the closest server to me on the Speakeasy speed test is Chicago also.
    Yep, it's all about the servers. So much so that I feel like I'm testing the servers more than Verizon's network.

Thanks, Robrecht
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Yep, it's all about the servers. So much so that I feel like I'm testing the servers more than Verizon's network.

Thanks, Robrecht
    No kidding. I feel the same way. Just because the server is closer doesn't mean it's better.

I'm in Brandon,FL which is outside of Tampa and the best I've seen is 8Mbps but that is still blazing fast compared to the 3G that I was used to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast