Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ringtones From Text

I haven't been able to find the answer to this yet, I'm hoping you all can help me. Can I get a sound in a text message...say my granddaughter laughing...and set it as a ringtone for my son's contact? This was one of my top 5 needs when purchasing a phone and I was assured I could, but can't figure it out.

Help and thanks in advance.
    Woody

Default Re: Ringtones From Text

Heh heh heh.. I've wanted to do the exact same thing. My grandson has this hilarious giggle that sounds like a gremlin.

Anyway, have you tried recording it with the built in voice recorder app? IIRC, you can then choose the sound byte and set it as a ringtone.

David

Global Posts
    7,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by JPWoody View Post
    I haven't been able to find the answer to this yet, I'm hoping you all can help me. Can I get a sound in a text message...say my granddaughter laughing...and set it as a ringtone for my son's contact? This was one of my top 5 needs when purchasing a phone and I was assured I could, but can't figure it out.

Help and thanks in advance.
    Woody
    Have you tried using a sound/voice recorder to capture the laugh then see if you can set it as a ringtone? I would imagine that you could. Here is a Play Store search for sound recorders: https://play.google.com/store/search...ecorder&c=apps

You may need to use an app, such as Rings Extended, to search for the sound file then set it as a ringtone.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by TNCattleDog View Post
    Heh heh heh.. I've wanted to do the exact same thing. My grandson has this hilarious giggle that sounds like a gremlin.
    Oh yeah! Love the little gremlins! She sounds like a demonic barbie! LOL
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Have you tried using a sound/voice recorder to capture the laugh then see if you can set it as a ringtone? I would imagine that you could. Here is a Play Store search for sound recorders: https://play.google.com/store/search...ecorder&c=apps

You may need to use an app, such as Rings Extended, to search for the sound file then set it as a ringtone.
    They live out of state, so I'm not able to record it, I have to rely on my son sending them through a text. So, right now I'm downloading it to my computer, running it through my editing software and then uploading it. Was wanting to just save it as a ringtone and then use it without going through all the hassle. Kinda disappointed since I told the guy at the Verizon store that was very important to me and I can't do it.

I'll look for an app. Thanks for the suggestion!

Perhaps try renaming the sound to a ".mp3" then find it in the stock music app. From there you should be able to assign it as a ring tone to a contact.

Posted via Android Central App

go to settings and select it from alerts and sounds...