Can you send and receive text with data turned off?

ccLuv2Cruz

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Going on a cruise and I only want to be able to send and receive texts while data is turned off. Can this be done and if so how? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Plain texting uses your voice signal, so it will work with mobile data (3G/4G) turned off. But if you don't have any voice signal, then you can't send texts (i.e., SMS messages). If you only have wi-fi, then you'd have to use some other instant messaging app like Hangouts.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you use VZW's app, you can send and receive on WiFi as well. I switched to the VZW Messaging app and like it.

Also, just as a precaution, I'd pull my SIM card if I was you. My wife went to India. We told it not to roam and turned off Global and guess what. She still received calls and we still got charged by good old Verizon, so I'd pull the SIM.

ccLuv2Cruz

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Plain texting uses your voice signal, so it will work with mobile data (3G/4G) turned off. But if you don't have any voice signal, then you can't send texts (i.e., SMS messages). If you only have wi-fi, then you'd have to use some other instant messaging app like Hangouts.
As stated, apparently all I've gotta do is turn of mobile data!:cool: Thanks!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress