insufficient storage available

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey I rooted my verizon galaxy s4 yesterday and have been messing around with it, looking for apps etc. I have a problem when trying to download rooted related apps, though. I've purchased System Control Pro, and when I try to install it a notification pops up saying that I have insufficient storage available. I downloaded another app right after getting this, to see if it was all apps, and the craigslist app I downloaded installed fine, and it is a larger file size than the system control pro app. I went into clockworkmod and deleted the dalvik cache, and the problem hasnt gone away. I have 2 GB left on my internal storage, so I'm not sure what could be causing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Matthew

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'll throw my .2 cents in here... but downloading and installing more apps doesn't sound like the answer to me, and 2GB is not that much when the device came with over 9GB of space. You might want to remove some of those apps you have been playing with... you do have an SD card, don't you? You did not say what types of files are taking up all this space.... but I'd think about moving some things to an SD card.

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I've uninstalled all my third party apps, facebook, Pandora, instagram, etc. And it's still saying I only have 1 gb of extra space. I'm really confused on what is taking up all my memory. Is there any way to look at a lisot of apps and how much memory they are taking up? My music and pictures are on my sd.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I went to storage and saw that Miscellaneous files were talking up more than half of the storage (6 gb) but I view the files and they don't even add up to 1 gb? Any ideas?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I went to storage and saw that Miscellaneous files were talking up more than half of the storage (6 gb) but I view the files and they don't even add up to 1 gb? Any ideas?

You might just reboot to reset and have the OS recheck your file structure, or you can also select that item and click on the trash can to delete those. I have no idea how Android uses this to check how much space it has.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Have you been making backups with CWM? Those files are huge, and unless you tell it otherwise, internal storage is often where it puts them...

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I've made one, I don't know how much space that would take up though. Also, I did a factory reset to try and solve the problem, and now the farthest I can get my phone is to the CWM screen. Do you think i need to re-flash it?

ssxmetro

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The same thing has happened to me. I have maybe 20 apps installed on the phone. the amount of space being calculated by the phone as being used by the various files and applications are nowhere near the amount of usable space which I should have. The miscellaneous is huge. I have deleted every piece of bloat on the phone and cleared all cache multiple times. I am using Wicked V3 and I am currently downloading version 4. I am going to do a clean wipe/factory settings and clear all cache again and then flash the rom. We will see if the storage issue fixes itself.
Hey I rooted my verizon galaxy s4 yesterday and have been messing around with it, looking for apps etc. I have a problem when trying to download rooted related apps, though. I've purchased System Control Pro, and when I try to install it a notification pops up saying that I have insufficient storage available. I downloaded another app right after getting this, to see if it was all apps, and the craigslist app I downloaded installed fine, and it is a larger file size than the system control pro app. I went into clockworkmod and deleted the dalvik cache, and the problem hasnt gone away. I have 2 GB left on my internal storage, so I'm not sure what could be causing this. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Matthew

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
So I re-rooted/and reflashed my phone, and after a while i got it to start up again. im glad i got this problem solved now i only need to worry about the storage problem. when it started up it was at factory settings, which im fine with, id rather have it working.

@ssxmetro i tried wiping/factory resetting/wiping cache/data/etc. and the problem still persisted. i think i only did two backups so im still confused, its also weird that some apps will install while others wont, i installed one that was about 300 mb, but one that is 500 kb wont install...all the apps that are related to rooting seem to not install, which is weird. i don't know if that could be a virus or not. if you find anything out let me know

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The same thing has happened to me. I have maybe 20 apps installed on the phone. the amount of space being calculated by the phone as being used by the various files and applications are nowhere near the amount of usable space which I should have. The miscellaneous is huge. I have deleted every piece of bloat on the phone and cleared all cache multiple times. I am using Wicked V3 and I am currently downloading version 4. I am going to do a clean wipe/factory settings and clear all cache again and then flash the rom. We will see if the storage issue fixes itself.

So I re-rooted/and reflashed my phone, and after a while i got it to start up again. im glad i got this problem solved now i only need to worry about the storage problem. when it started up it was at factory settings, which im fine with, id rather have it working.

@ssxmetro i tried wiping/factory resetting/wiping cache/data/etc. and the problem still persisted. i think i only did two backups so im still confused, its also weird that some apps will install while others wont, i installed one that was about 300 mb, but one that is 500 kb wont install...all the apps that are related to rooting seem to not install, which is weird. i don't know if that could be a virus or not. if you find anything out let me know

OK -- It is almost DEFINITELY the CWM backups. For what it's worth, I've got only one backup saved, and it's over 6GB. What you need to do is delete them. As long as you can get the phone to boot up, use a file explorer (the built-in "My Files" should work just fine), and browse your internal storage to find the "ClockworkMod" folder -- it's probably right at the root, but I'm not 100% sure because I'm using TWRP instead of CWM on my S4. Look for the backups folder and just delete everything inside. That should clear up your storage issue.

Now, when you go to make a backup in CWM, make sure you select the option to write the backup to an SD card (and make sure your SD card has enough space on it). Making backups is always a good idea, but you may need to erase old ones to free up space every now and then. If you want to go a bit more advanced, I also recommend using the "tar" format when making backups in CWM instead of "dup", though again I'm not completely sure if CWM gives you the option to choose the backup format on the S4 because I'm not running CWM on mine.

Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I cleared my backups which helped a Ron and I also moved some games to the sd card which opened about 5 gb total. Thanks for all the help!!! @ssxmetro any luck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38