How to stop apps from running?

cnyjim

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
How do you stop apps from running in the background? I use a battery saver app that kills apps.Then without even using the phone they back on draining the battery. Youtube, Firefox, Googlemaps, Google Books and Newsstand are the main ones.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Apps shouldn't be using battery when running in the background. I'd advise to stay away from app killers as it is more detrimental to the battery and OS than it is to leave them open. Android benefits more from having the RAM full than empty.
That said, if the apps are still using battery, check individual apps to see if they are backing anything up or are reporting your location.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Turning apps off makes them unavailable for any use at all, which doesn't sound like what cnyjim wants. My understanding agrees with UJ95x. The Android OS will try to keep memory full of apps for quick access, and anything a "battery saver" kills will just get reloaded, or something else will be loaded in its place, which only uses up more battery. This is counter-intuitive for Windows users, but it's life in the Android world. An article with more details: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Go to the play store and check out an app called Greenify. It is not a task killer, it simply "hibernates" apps that you do not want to run in the background after you exit out of them. They won't be killed or turned of, but will stay hibernated, doing nothing until you start the app again. Will work with non rooted phones, but works best when rooted, which is very easy to do with this phone. I'm rooted just so I can have access to apps like this. I can also testify that this app allows my battery to last TWICE as long as normal. It also keeps my ram down, which in turn helps my phone run smoother and quicker. This is in my opinion one of the best apps available.
Hope that helps:)

Spaz888

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If Greenify is one of the best apps, that's rather sad. It doesn't do a very good job even with rooted devices like my Nexus 7. For example, Foursquare and Inrix repeatedly pop back up and Greenify only temporarily hibernates them...until you hit the refresh button within the app.

Aren't there any rooted apps that can stop these demons from popping up?

Muljo 2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have on my phone app Stopwatch by Chronus.
It is a great app for timing jogs but it can't be stopped.
I clear it once done running and press the button at the bottom of my phone which kills any other app. But when next day I wanna run again and start this app it shows 23hr:X min: Xsec...and keeps running. If I dont' run over weekend it show 72 hrs..etc or such.
Even if I reboot the phone when I open it the app is still ticking. Really sucks - my battery sometimes dies in couple hrs from 100% full and have a feeling it started since installed this app.
Is there a way to make sure the app is dead, some sort of 'Exit' button?

Trinitrit

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I am very unknowledgeable in this matter. But wonder: What is wrong with the App manager from the Widget catalogue? It is this simple icon showing you how many apps are open and allows you to turn off either all or individual apps when you are done. Would that address your issue?

johndoe7999

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
i have installed Clean Master, despite killing all the backgroud apps, they still get enabled in the backgroud. even apps i hardly use also pop behind.

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Hay i am after the same problem on my note 3 such as having facebook running in the background. Facebook quite a few builds ago didn't stay in the background and I loved it. All i want is a way to automatically shut down all the apps it finds running on the background not turn them of just shut them down to clean the ram and stop my phone feom either crashing due to not enough ram left available or run slow.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress