Reception bad, might be related to 5.0.1 update

SonicDan

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post on this site.

I'm having some problems with my VzW S4. Reception seems to have declined with it. I don't know if it correlates to updates, but I am running AndroidOS 5.0.1. If you want any other stats please let me know. In general I find that reception used to be good. Nothing has changed that would affect reception at my home or office and this seems to be a consistent issue. For example, I remember that I used to get good reception at the grocery store, and now I get none. It exhausts the battery trying to find reception and is frustrating. I live in a mostly urban area just a few miles from Boston.

I assume that these days you don't have to periodically dial any numbers to update your connection to the towers around you? I don't think the phone sustained any damage, but could dropping it cause any sort of service degradation? I find that if I turn off the phone and pull out the battery, then put it back in, reception comes back and is usually a little better than it was before. Sometimes this is the only way I can make a call or get a text to go out. I just paid off this phone and I was relatively happy with it until these service issues. I'd like to resolve them and continue to use a free phone for a little while until a new phone comes out with new features that I care about.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I guess I could downgrade the OS, but I'd like some sort of proof or at least speculation that 5.0.1 has issues before going to the trouble of downgrading the phone if that's even possible since I never bothered to root this particular device. I'm guessing it is possible. I just asked a co-worker to check his OS version on his Verizon S5 and he has 5.0 and has better luck with reception than I do, but that is just one person.

Thanks again.

sonic