[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

You don't need a physical phone, just tell Verizon to put a test device on the line

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I'm not familiar with this. I'll do some research later but can you elaborate on this option? Thanks.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unlimited data Plan - How Much Longer?

I have even had multiple reps not knowing current written policy...

I called today for my dad and I asked about the 6 GB plan and future upgrades. She said that the plan isn't going anywhere and you can upgrade again and again without losing it.

True? Don't know. Just validating what you said about reps being incorrect at times. To her credit she was clear by saying "from how the training makes it appear" rather than guaranteeing it like most seem to do.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site

I have even had multiple reps not knowing current written policy...

I've had to correct reps... Not just with Verizon but other carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm not familiar with this. I'll do some research later but can you elaborate on this option? Thanks.

Basically after you move the phone to the new line, tell Verizon that you don't have a physical phone for the line. They will put a dummy phone on the line

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I've had to correct reps... Not just with Verizon but other carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have had other carriers and they weren't any better either

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I called today for my dad and I asked about the 6 GB plan and future upgrades. She said that the plan isn't going anywhere and you can upgrade again and again without losing it.

True? Don't know. Just validating what you said about reps being incorrect at times. To her credit she was clear by saying "from how the training makes it appear" rather than guaranteeing it like most seem to do.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

My guess is that you would be able to keep it when upgrading, just like the double data promotion.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Basically after you move the phone to the new line, tell Verizon that you don't have a physical phone for the line. They will put a dummy phone on the line

Thanks. I'll consider this as a possibility. I would still l some feedback on good basic phones and sources to put on this line. I'd like the option to use it as a spare phone.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

My guess is that you would be able to keep it when upgrading, just like the double data promotion.

most likely...I just didn't want to take the chance, so that's why I just did the best buy thing

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, since getting my Note 2, and its improved battery/bigger screen, and getting Netflix again, my data usage has gone from like 2 odd gigs a month tops to, well about 3x that.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

The Verizon Max plan is still available but it's a nightmare trying to set it up with multiple lines if any lines do not have UDP and it's apparently very difficult for them to figure out how to coordinate it with Edge (for the contract cancellation feature). We gave up and I just kept my UDP because Verizon was contradicting themselves from one question to the next and I was adamant that they not make any changes until I was absolutely clear on the process and end result of what we were trying to do.
Last Sept. I needed to cut my phone bill down.
I was on the Family share plan(750 minutes , unlimited text,unlimited data.) Having had 2 phones but both phones were just for my use.I got tired of paying almost 200.00 dollars for that plan,couldnt change the plan without loosing UDP they said.
I didnt have the funds to outright buy a phone in one lump some but at the sametime needed to do something.I think going from 2 phones to 1 phone still would have changed my plan and sounded like to me I would have lost UDP because of that.
I was told I could go with Edge plan 450 Nationwide Talk ,add 1000 text messages and 6GB for $30.00. They checked my plan history so to make sure I wouldnt go over anything with that plan.
They did have problems changing my old plan actually and it took a day to resolve it . The system wouldnt let him remove a phone so I would just have 1 phone instead of 2 phones,another vzw tech couldnt fix it either. They called another vzw tech on phone, but still wasnt resolved it at that time.The vzw rep.told me he would fix it dont worry about.He did get it care of the next day. My bill was almost cut in half.
But what I ended up with instead of the 6GB data plan was it kept the UDP.I dont know if it was a glitch or what but I just didnt question it. HA

Being on this plan for 5 months I can now afford to pay off my phone and just have to pay only for the plan(minutes,text,data)and make the bill even cheaper.

So for me this was the easiest , simplest way to switch plans,update phone (Moto X) and got lucky on keeping UDP.It may not work for everyone but in my case it did.

zombieshavebrains

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

Hi all, created an account just so I could ask this. I have an iPhone 4S with UDP, how would I go about upgrading my phone through this method if I don't have a 4g SIM card?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi all, created an account just so I could ask this. I have an iPhone 4S with UDP, how would I go about upgrading my phone through this method if I don't have a 4g SIM card?

Do you know anyone with a spare 4GLTE device? If so, borrow it and call Verizon to ask for a sim for the new device. Once your number is associated with sim, then you can do the process discussed.

GatorsUF

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Please let me know if this is correct...

My phones:
A - SmartPhone UDP (upgrade avail) <--my phone
B- SmartPhone Tiered (upgrade avail)
C- Dumb Phone (upgrade avail)

My best option is to:
- Upgrade phone C
- Select a tiered plan for phone C
- Once the phone arrives activate it
- Quickly deactivate it and remove the data from that line
- Activate the new phone on line A

Correct? Will I get charged one month of the tiered data for line C?

Is there a way to just activate it without having to enable the data plan for line C?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Please let me know if this is correct...

My phones:
A - SmartPhone UDP (upgrade avail) <--my phone
B- SmartPhone Tiered (upgrade avail)
C- Dumb Phone (upgrade avail)

My best option is to:
- Upgrade phone C
- Select a tiered plan for phone C
- Once the phone arrives activate it
- Quickly deactivate it and remove the data from that line
- Activate the new phone on line A

Correct? Will I get charged one month of the tiered data for line C?

Is there a way to just activate it without having to enable the data plan for line C?

You i would be charged prorated charge for data on line 3 for the day or days used. You can transfer the upgrade from c to b, then upgrade b.

GatorsUF

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

B has an upgrade available, would it just be easier to use that one I guess. Its already on tiered data so no issue I guess. Then just swap the phones after.

tjrssibelle

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

B has an upgrade available, would it just be easier to use that one I guess. Its already on tiered data so no issue I guess. Then just swap the phones after.

If phone B is a 4g LTE device, then yes it's easier

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bestbuy Mobile Lets me Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon?

I just tried to do this. Ordered phone from Best Buy. Received today and put in my old SIM card - activated - and it's changing my plan. Awesome. I guess it doesn't work anymore.

ChelsNicole

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys, so my Droid Bionic has finally died and I was planning on following these steps today to get a new Moto X through Best Buy and keep my data. But, I called Verizon and they are still offering the 6gb for $30 deal, no edge signup required. What do you guys think? I usually only use about 2gb per month. I believe I'd get the Moto X for only a penny through Verizon, and get to customize it the way I want. I know in 2 years time I may run into issues again, but it would be the same if I kept unlimited data - the next time I need a new phone, I'll have to figure out a way to get around the system.