[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I did this right before Thanksgiving and they took my upgrade, so I wouldn't say it will happen for everybody.

I didn't mean to imply that it happens for everybody. It's definitely a glitch that is allowing some lucky folks to upgrade multiple times. The only commonality people are seeing right now is having a tiered plan used for the upgrade, but you are right, there is no promise it will work consistently.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I had it happen once.... Next time I ordered about a month later the upgrade was gone.

nwasquad1

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

I had it happen once.... Next time I ordered about a month later the upgrade was gone.

I'll keep checking it out and see what happens in a month or so. I ordered a Turbo with that initial upgrade and there isn't any other phone out right now that I would want so I'll wait to see what gets released in 2015 that piques my interest.

heath patrick

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

How long ago was that? I had it happen to me back mid-year this year. I bought a phone outright then returned it and upgraded a dumb line and transferred it to my UDP line keeping the same phone (yea Krazy right). About a month later noticed the dumb line still had an upgrade and I got another phone and upgrade went away. I figured it was due to the return of the full price purchase and transferring it to the upgrade that let the line Keep its upgrade. Now I transferred an upgrade on my UDP line to a tiered line on the 3rd of December and noticed I still had an upgrade. On the 7th I did another transfer and still have an upgrade showing???

jeff1penny

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

If you are ordering from Verizon, it's a current glitch in the system. For some reason, it allows people to upgrade and keep their upgrade. So far, it only works if you transfer an upgrade to a tiered data plan and activate it on the tiered line. No one is sure why this is happening, but you all are the lucky ones.

Posted via Android Central App

I can confirm this myself. Used my mother's basic line to transfer an upgrade to my wife's line to take advantage of Black Friday sales (to ultimately get a Note4 for myself). Went back in to see the upgrade date, and both lines (my mother's and my wife's) are showing month to month with eligible discount prices now. So cool! Definitely wasn't expecting that one! Now the question is do I order another phone to take advantage while the glitch is still going on or wait and just keep the upgrades available for a near future phone? Hmmmmm :p

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm still waiting on a pending activation to fall off from 12/3 Am I being impatient or is it taking too long? I did the switch upgrade, activated on tiered line and called to do the device switch.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm still waiting on a pending activation to fall off from 12/3 Am I being impatient or is it taking too long? I did the switch upgrade, activated on tiered line and called to do the device switch.
I'm not sure why there would be a pending activation if you activated on a tiered line prior to switching as you said.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I thought it seemed odd too. It's definitely there. That's why I did the device switch over the phone

Brian W1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I think they have fixed it now. I went on Best Buys site last night, and first thing it popped up was, "Verizon no longer offers unlimited data" and then something about you will AUTOMATICALLY be switched to the general 2 GB of data. Can anyone confirm this?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

I think they have fixed it now. I went on Best Buys site last night, and first thing it popped up was, "Verizon no longer offers unlimited data" and then something about you will AUTOMATICALLY be switched to the general 2 GB of data. Can anyone confirm this?

I saw the same worning 4 months ago when I purchased my Note3 at the subsidized price.
A friend saw that warning 1 month ago when they purchased a Note3.

We both kept our UDP by following the BestBuy method and using our current SIM cards instead of the new SIM cards.

BeerMann5

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

So I am in the process of upgrading my phone (Line 2, as below) to an iPhone 6 (just waiting for shipping now), but this is how my situation looks at the moment; and Im a little confused on a couple parts

Line 1: TDP-2GB galaxy s5 (no upgrade was available)
Line 2: UDP galaxy s3 (upgrade was available, but was transferred to line 1, as suggested to do in this thread)

I transferred the upgrade from line 2 to line 1, placed the order for an iPhone to "upgrade line 1" over thanksgiving weekend. im trying to get everything ready for when the new iPhone arrives so that I can activate it on line 2, but I know the sim card in my galaxy s3 wont fit, so I need to either cut my existing sim or get a new nano sim card and use an adapter to get it active on my galaxy s3 BEFORE activating the new iPhone, I decided to go this route, and from my understanding all I need to do to get the new nano sim active is to turn on my galaxy s3 with the sim inserted into the adapter and it should activate automatically, correct?

The problem is when I try to activate the nano sim on my galaxy s3, it tries to activate for about 5 minutes before saying there was a problem activating the phone, am I missing a step? or what am I doing wrong? is this the best method to take? or should I just get a sim cutter instead and go that route? OR would it be better to first activate the phone with the sim that comes with the phone on line 1 instead and then transfer it to line 2 at that point? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really confused as to what to do next so as to not lose the UDP on line 2, Thanks in advance!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

That has been the disclaimer for years now.

heath patrick

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

There is a difference in nano SIM cards. I have had a droid max and an iPhone That use nano cards and would swap between them. I can just swap the sim freely between them and each phone works fine. I would also switch out with a phone that uses a micro sim and when I would go back to the maxx or iPhone When trying to activate it in my account online I would get that same error you got if I tried to activate the maxx with the iPhone SIM card or if I tried to activate the iPhone with the maxx SIM card. Your best bet would be to cut your current sim down to get the iPhone working then later down the road if you wanted to you could get the proper sim for an iphone.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

How long did you have the phone on the tiered plan? Did you immediately switch lines after activation? Sometimes this happens when people switch phones to quickly for Verizon's system.

bigwebicky

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Quick update:

Single plan UDP [droid razr maxx];
I decided to get the new HTC one (windows version) -- i'll be back Droid.. --
went to the Microsoft site ordered the HTC using my eligible discount.
Just like BB the warning is that once activated, you will be switched from UDP to 2MB plan.
Sometime After purchase I got this scary message from Microsoft/ Verizon saying my phone is pre-activated.

Anyway HTC has the nano sim / razr maxx has the micro sim.

Ordered a sim cutter and waited for phone to arrive.

Phone arrived - removed sim
cut driod razr maxx sim [udp] to fit nano htc one

Powered on HTC one and all is well.

UDP is still on my account - no pending activations.

Special thanks to shortwave

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

It was only on that line for about 20 minutes

I think you switched your phones too fast for Verizon's system to acknowledge the update and that's why you ended up with the pending activation. You can either wait out the pending activation or shut everything down and activate the phone on the tiered data plan.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I'll just wait it out for a while. Everyone's satisfied with what phones they have.

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Quick question, I have 1 basic line and 1 UDP line atm. The basic line wants to get a smartphone, so basically soon it'll be a tiered line. When I order the phone on the basic line and activate it with the SIM that comes with it it'll become a tiered 2GB.

My plan is to then transfer the phone to the UDP line and then transfer the upgrade from the UDP to the now tiered line and let them get whatever phone they want. But my question is do I reuse the SIM that was used to activate the basic originally or do I use the new one that comes.

Beauty State

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

SOS!!!! Someone please help!

What if I used my uncle's TDP upgrade (NOT on my account) Since I want to keep my unlimited.
How would I go about doing that?

1. Purchase the phone on his account
2. Activate it on his account, send a few texts, etc
3. Take the phone out and put back his old phone
4. Put my sim card (From my iPhone 5) into the phone
????

Would that work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated but I really need this solved, as I don't want to mess up my uncles account!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty